Jackets again

Peter Clinch

Guest
wee while ago I was asking around for a windproof with pockets on the front that was visible from
orbit: various suggestions but nothing quite right...

I now have what I was looking for. Mardale (http://www.mardale.com/), a small British outdoor
clothing firm, do a jacket that looked the part aside from not being *YELLOW!*, but remembering
they'd done a bespoke fleece pullover for a 6'8" friend a few years ago at nominal extra cost I
thought I might as well ask if they'd do a custom colour on their Bike Jacket model. Yes, and for
just an extra fiver. And since their usual colours did include a reflective finish and the fluo
yellow didn't, did I want reflective tape? And where, exactly? (across the yoke seam back and front
and down the arms, please!)

It arrived this morning, and it is indeed visually loud and basically just what I was looking for.
The Visa receipt in with it tells me they didn't actually charge me the extra fiver either. Not
absolutely perfect for me: I prefer chest height pockets to belly height, and I should've said not
to bother with the back pocket (and there's a wee belt in it so if you turn it inside out into the
pocket you can wear it on its own belt, which might fall prey to some scissors), but really no
complaints and it was a pleasure doing business with them. Good product from good people, well
worthy of your consideration.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

MSeries wrote:
> Those jackets look quite nice, I eagerly await a road/off road test rep=
ort.
> Is there a price list available on line somewhere ?

There's an online store at=20 http://www.outdoorclothingonline.com/store/store.htm The Bike
Jacket is =A350.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Have you tried cycling in it yet?

No, landed in the post this morning and since I walk to work it hasn't=20 had a pedalling test.
It's a bonny day though, so I might find an=20 excuse to go down to town at lunchtime on one of
the bikes.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]

Peter Clinch wrote:

> No, landed in the post this morning and since I walk to work it hasn't had a pedalling test. It's
> a bonny day though, so I might find an excuse to go down to town at lunchtime on one of the bikes.

Ah, what's known as a "magazine endorsement" then - "Looks nice, not tried it, no idea whether its
any good but we'll pretend it is" ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> Ah, what's known as a "magazine endorsement" then - "Looks nice, not tried it, no idea whether its
> any good but we'll pretend it is" ;-)

Not really! there's a rather large difference between having something in one's grubby mitts and
trying it on to looking at paper specifications and a picture! Certainly good enough for checking
the quality of the stitching, whether the cut was set out by someone with a Clue, if the pockets are
deep and big enough to be useful (good, yes and yes respectively, btw) and so on.

But now it has about 8km cycling under its belt. Hardly exhaustive, but enough to further verify the
cut seems good and though the tail drops enough to give some extra bum protection it's not so long
as to get caught under the saddlebag hooks on the Brooks. As for general performance in various
weathers, I can't see it being much different to my pertex windshirts since it's made of the same
stuff but in a horrible colour with reflective trim and pockets. They work, I don't think I'm
assuming *too* much to think a jacket made of the same stuff will do similarly. Sitting on the 'bent
it's clear that the back pocket, while useless, won't actually be a nuisance, and there's not much
else to worry about for now AFAICT.