Journeyman Clde looking for advice

ChitownClyde

Sep 26, 2010
First post - hopefully many more to come over the years...

In college I was a casual rider but stopped after moving to Chicago 3 yrs ago. I started back up April 09. I have a 10 mile commute each way along the lake path mostly. I am still riding my Specialized Crossroads from college. It has starting to run down after 2,000 miles thus far this year and I am looking for an upgrade in speed (I now average 16-17 mph solo w/ a goal of 20 mph). I have been thinking of getting a Specialized Sirrus which seems to be the next logical step for a commuter. My personal data and questions are as follows:

Me:
6'2", 260# w/ 25% body fat (target weight of 220-230 lbs ->never going to get below 200#)

1) I collect that cydes need strong wheels - my stock 700-38cs on my crossroads have given me some but a manageable (couple a month) spoke breaks. Can I expect more or less going to a double wall 32c on a Sirrus v. my single wall 38c that I currently have? I can replace spokes and true rims myself so a few spoke breaks every once in a long while is no big deal to me.

2) What is the best 'economy' wheel for a clyde if I am to replace the stock Sirrus Alex AS14 wheels?

3) What tire pressure should I be riding at for a guy my weight? I can go as high as 100psi with my current tires and that even sometimes feels like they are going flat.

Thanks for any help you might have!