Just want to keep in shape.

David G.

Dec 5, 2009
Hi folks,
I'm new here to the forums, and I'm looking into a trainer for my Raleigh Venture 3. The intent is for general cardiac conditioning and for keeping strength up over the winter months. I don't want to get back on the bike in the spring and have dead logs for legs and take a month to get my wind up !

That said , I'm 59, going on 60 next spring. Riding last summer and fall brought my blood pressure down enough that I could cut back some of my blood pressure meds, a great thing since I've been on far to much medication.. I don't want to slip back the other way over the winter in that regard either. Plus in Jan. I have another stress test coming up and I'd like to do well, I think a trainer will aid in that end if I get going now .

I assume I'll need a smooth rear tire ? Also, will a run of the mill trainer from a place like Dicks Sporting Goods do the job ?

Finally, this bike is my fishing bike but I ride it about 9-12miles a day in the good weather, riding from my house to the local canal and along the bike path there for accessing the water. I think I may see a road bike in my future for just riding and not fishing ( the bike is outfitted with basket and rod holder etc).

Thanks for any reply,
New member here.
David G .

That's good I'll start with the link. I beliong to some photo forums too and we give advice in a similar way, to links of other threads or otherwise already posted info. I'll learn my way around in time!

Thanks much.
David