Justice

Calling someone a "****er" is not always an act of aggression .....It's commonly used in the black community towards each other. It is a word used frequantly in hip hop music or Rap ....
Hitting someone when not threatened by force is as barbaric as calling someone a "****er" in a negativly way. Is it my understanding that the deceased is black?

It's a sign of stupidity, but not neccesary an aggressive act. Without having the facts of the behavior of the name caller before and after the name calling a serious discussion cannot be made.

However , what we do know is that the Samoan may have made an aggressive act. Whether or not the deceased was a good father is not important. He was a father. The Samoan's act caused 3 children to be fatherless. Of course, this is saying that he was not acting in a defensive manner of course.
My mother always told me that "Sometimes bad things happen to us when we do not think." I think this was the case with the Samoan.

Another angle to this is this ........Going with the few facts we do have , does the family have the right for a civil suit against the future earnings of the Samoan?

wolfix said:
Calling someone a "****er" is not always an act of aggression .....It's commonly used in the black community towards each other. It is a word used frequantly in hip hop music or Rap ....
Hitting someone when not threatened by force is as barbaric as calling someone a "****er" in a negativly way. Is it my understanding that the deceased is black?

It's a sign of stupidity, but not neccesary an aggressive act. Without having the facts of the behavior of the name caller before and after the name calling a serious discussion cannot be made.

However , what we do know is that the Samoan may have made an aggressive act. Whether or not the deceased was a good father is not important. He was a father. The Samoan's act caused 3 children to be fatherless. Of course, this is saying that he was not acting in a defensive manner of course.
My mother always told me that "Sometimes bad things happen to us when we do not think." I think this was the case with the Samoan.

Another angle to this is this ........Going with the few facts we do have , does the family have the right for a civil suit against the future earnings of the Samoan?
The family can take a civil action for loss of support,if the deceased was earning an income.If he was supporting his family on social security benefits then they don't have much of a case.

Which brings up another subject . This may be hijacking this tread and maybe this is a subject for a complete new thread. The word '****er." I was raised in a city with a large black population. We were told not to use the words for several obvious reasons. In school where I had some interaction with blacks ,I rarely heard the word.
Today ....... it is used in the black community in everyday language. The hip-hop culture I think re-introduced this word to America mainstream. [I know it is used by people that would be considered racist, but for the sake of the discussion , let's leave them out of this.}
If this word is being used by a white man to describe a black man , either in a friendly way , or in a ugly way , is this a word that would offend a younger black? {I say young black because of the hip hop generation thing} And if it does offend them , would that guy be offended if it was used by a black man towards another black man?
basically, what is the status of this word today among the youth????

Ali used the word frequently and it sometimes came across as a kind of insult to those black opponents he accused of being an "Uncle Tom". Incidentally, any black guy who is called an Uncle Tom will get offended, since the term has to do with being a conformist.
What ****** Joe Frazier off back in the seventies was the way he was called an "Uncle Tom N++++r by Ali because he was depicted as a white man's champ in the way Joe Luis obviously was in his day.
Another thing I recall was Ali meeting a white opponent at a pre-fight conference and turning to the audience to say, "He just called me a n++++r!", which was basically a lie and done as a joke on the white opponent who had black friends and didn't appreciate the prank.
At any rate, common sense tells me this is a word not to use unless you use it with black friends you know won't take offence because you use the word as an in-joke. Otherwise the word reflects ignorance on the part of the speaker.
In Latin the word for black is "*****" so it probably comes from that and "candidus" I think is "white" or maybe "albus".

wolfix said:
Which brings up another subject . This may be hijacking this tread and maybe this is a subject for a complete new thread. The word '****er." I was raised in a city with a large black population. We were told not to use the words for several obvious reasons. In school where I had some interaction with blacks ,I rarely heard the word.
Today ....... it is used in the black community in everyday language. The hip-hop culture I think re-introduced this word to America mainstream. [I know it is used by people that would be considered racist, but for the sake of the discussion , let's leave them out of this.}
If this word is being used by a white man to describe a black man , either in a friendly way , or in a ugly way , is this a word that would offend a younger black? {I say young black because of the hip hop generation thing} And if it does offend them , would that guy be offended if it was used by a black man towards another black man?

wolfix said:

I agree w/ Carrerra. Over here in Virginia it is inappropriate for a white to address a black in such a manner UNLESS the white is an accepted member of the group present or the wider, hip-hop culture-EVEN THEN-he/she does so at thier own peril. It would be tantamount to a black addressing a white as "hey, slave-owner". I believe the majority of the rest of this country has similiar accepted standards of decency/decorum. Yell epithets & risk retaliation.

stevebaby said:
The family can take a civil action for loss of support,if the deceased was earning an income.If he was supporting his family on social security benefits then they don't have much of a case.

We dont have civil suits as such here (Thank christ) so no they cant do that.

wolfix said:

You are ignoring one major thing here....context.
If I was to say to a black man " Whats up my ****er" it is likely that, if he knew me, my colour would have little bareing on things. If I where to say "Hey you, ya F@#$ING NI^&ER", again my colour would have little bareing on things, and to me atleast the latter is clearly an aggresive act. The latter describes the situation here I think

Fixey said:
The dead guy and the lad did not know each other so yes it was "****er" (Not sure how it was said phyisicaly wise) and boom dead. As I said I know this lad and I would be surprised if he reacted to just being called ****er, I would guess the guy may have got in his face, but that is just a guess.
So, dead guy was drinking (assumption), probably a ******** looking for trouble. Depending on the jurisdicition, 'Getting in someone's face' can be considered Assault by Intimidation, which can be used for a self-defense case. Murder charges seem a bit much, unless they are hoping to scare him into pleading to a lesser charge.

I agree. Also, a lot of people are unaware black people have a history of their own and it isn't true that black people are less capable than whites. The ancient Egyptians, for example, were black and only recently it's been discovered how these people constructed their pyramids in line with the stars and planets (the dog-star being one of these).

davidmc said:
I agree w/ Carrerra. Over here in Virginia it is inappropriate for a white to address a black in such a manner UNLESS the white is an accepted member of the group present or the wider, hip-hop culture-EVEN THEN-he/she does so at thier own peril. It would be tantamount to a black addressing a white as "hey, slave-owner". I believe the majority of the rest of this country has similiar accepted standards of decency/decorum. Yell epithets & risk retaliation.