General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Kick'n steak

Started by koko · · Last activity · 40 posts · 352 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 October 2007
Last activity
17 October 2007
Original author
koko
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
352
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Christine Dabney said:

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:14:31 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd need to talk to someone who has tried both, before discounting
    brining, which has (I feel) advantages in giving an exact dose
    of salt.

    Quoted message said:

    Better than that, try it yourself and compare.

    Sure, but there must be someone out there who has already tried both
    techniques.

    I eat so little beef, that I'm not likely to get around to
    this piece of research really soon -- it would require that
    I eat two steaks in just a few day's time. That's definitely
    waiting until after my next cholesterol test.

    Steve

  2. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:24:48 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    (Steve Pope) said:

    Sure, but there must be someone out there who has already tried both
    techniques.

    I eat so little beef, that I'm not likely to get around to
    this piece of research really soon -- it would require that
    I eat two steaks in just a few day's time. That's definitely
    waiting until after my next cholesterol test.

    Steve

    There is someone out there who has tried it both ways. Russ Parsons.

    So, don't eat beef. Try it on chicken or some other meat. 😉 You
    can still do the comparison.

    But, if you try this..try it the *real* Judy Rodgers way, not the
    distorted way in the blog.

    Christine

  3. Christine Dabney said:

    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Seems to me the obvious risk with dry-salting is uncontrolled
    dose. You control this much better with brining. Whether brining
    adds too much fluid and degrades the result that way, I'm not
    sure. (Works fine for pork, is all I know.)

    Quoted message said:

    Somehow I can't see the logic in this. What is uncontrolled about a
    measured amount of salt that you put on (the real Judy Rodgers way of
    a scant 3/4 tsp per pound) vs the measured amount in a brine?

    I believe brining is more exact because all the salt is in solution
    and that solution is in equilibrium with the moisture in the meat.
    With dry salt that's not the case. I have to believe brining
    is more accurate with respect to salt delivery.

    What you might get in the dry salt case is 100% absorbtion of the
    salt, in which case you know you've got an exact amount, but
    my impression is that's not the case -- there is leftover surface
    salt at the end of the procedure.

    Steve

  4. Christine Dabney said:

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:24:48 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sure, but there must be someone out there who has already tried both
    techniques.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I eat so little beef, that I'm not likely to get around to
    this piece of research really soon -- it would require that
    I eat two steaks in just a few day's time. That's definitely
    waiting until after my next cholesterol test.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Steve

    Quoted message said:

    There is someone out there who has tried it both ways. Russ Parsons.

    That is my question of a couple posts ago -- whether one of
    these folks has directly compared the dry technique with brining.

    Steve

  5. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:31:53 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:24:48 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sure, but there must be someone out there who has already tried both
    techniques.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    There is someone out there who has tried it both ways. Russ Parsons.

    That is my question of a couple posts ago -- whether one of
    these folks has directly compared the dry technique with brining.

    Steve

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    Christine

  6. Christine Dabney said:

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    You can almost always find a copy of the LAT articles on another
    site:

    http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20061117/AE/111170066

    -sw

  7. Christine Dabney said:

    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That is my question of a couple posts ago -- whether one of
    these folks has directly compared the dry technique with brining.

    Quoted message said:

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    Thanks.

    I wonder if it's covered in Parsons' "How to read a French Fry".
    According to google books, from the index there are several pages
    on brining, but they don't happen to be among the excerpt stored
    in Google.

    Steve

  8. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:52:20 -0500, Sqwertz <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    You can almost always find a copy of the LAT articles on another
    site:

    http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20061117/AE/111170066

    -

    I don't think this is the article I was talking about, but it could
    be. The one I am talking about was called Salt of the Earth and went
    into more detail on the process. I think it was published earlier in
    the year.

    I am now trying to find it on this site...😉

    Christine

  9. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:52:20 -0500, Sqwertz <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    You can almost always find a copy of the LAT articles on another
    site:

    http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20061117/AE/111170066

    -sw

    I think I found the article I wanted.
    http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Christine

  10. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:06:29 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That is my question of a couple posts ago -- whether one of
    these folks has directly compared the dry technique with brining.

    Quoted message said:

    And I mentioned his article a few posts ago about all this. As I
    mentioned before, the article is no longer free, as it was published
    last year in the LA Times.

    Thanks.

    I wonder if it's covered in Parsons' "How to read a French Fry".
    According to google books, from the index there are several pages
    on brining, but they don't happen to be among the excerpt stored
    in Google.

    Steve

    No, it isn't. This was from last year.
    I think I found the article:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Christine

  11. Christine Dabney said:

    I think I found the article:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Thanks.

    For pork chops, that article actually gives the edge to the
    brined version, but only because the salted version was possibly
    cooked too long.

    For steak, they did not consider brining in this particular
    experiment...

    S.

  12. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:56:44 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    I think I found the article:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Thanks.

    Actually, the article I really wanted is not that one. The one he
    wrote that is more about this, is called Salt of the Earth. It was
    published in June or July of 2006. I have been searching to find a
    copy of it somewhere...but to no avail yet.

    Christine

  13. Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 10:04:25p, Christine Dabney meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    koko said:

    I got the salt treatment idea from a food blog that I follow
    http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/08/28/how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks
    -into-gucci-prime-steaks/

    I just read that blog entry and it is a bit different from the way
    Judy Rodgers does it. The blogger suggests that she got the technique
    from Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe cookbook. However, Judy Rodgers says a
    much longer salting period is needed, of about 2-3 days. Russ
    Parsons of the LA Times did an article not terribly long ago about
    this method and he did explain the theory behind this, as is described
    in the blog. However, he reiterates what Judy Rodgers says,and says
    the process takes about 3 days.

    I don't think his article is available for free anymore, or I would
    point you to his.

    This method of pre-salting which I heartily endorse, is great for most
    meats, and poultry. But once again, this blogger uses way, way more
    salt than does Judy Rodgers. In the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, about 3/4 tsp
    of salt per pound of beef is recommended for pre-salting. And the
    amount she uses for poultry is also distorted. It is not a massive
    amount by any means. The salt is not put on that heavily.

    That is not to say that this method doesn't work, but there is a fair
    amount of distortion from this blogger about this method espoused by
    both Judy Rodgers and Russ Parsons.

    Christine

    Thanks, Christine. Duly noted.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  14. Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:56:44 +0000 (UTC),

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    I think I found the article:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Thanks.

    Actually, the article I really wanted is not that one. The
    one he wrote that is more about this, is called Salt of the
    Earth. It was published in June or July of 2006. I have
    been searching to find a copy of it somewhere...but to no
    avail yet.

    Christine

    More details here. Is this it?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Eh2Vwjx_lrsJ:thegurglingcod.ty
    pepad.com/thegurglingcod/files/zuni_chicken.doc+%22Salt+of+the+Eart
    h%22+2006+RUSS+PARSONS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

  15. sandi said:

    Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:56:44 +0000 (UTC),

    (Steve Pope) said:

    Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >I think I found the article:
    >http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Thanks.

    Actually, the article I really wanted is not that one. The
    one he wrote that is more about this, is called Salt of the
    Earth. It was published in June or July of 2006. I have
    been searching to find a copy of it somewhere...but to no
    avail yet.

    Christine

    More details here. Is this it?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Eh2Vwjx_lrsJ:thegurglingcod.ty
    pepad.com/thegurglingcod/files/zuni_chicken.doc+%22Salt+of+the+Eart
    h%22+2006+RUSS+PARSONS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

    YES!!!!!!!!!!!

    Christine

  16. sandi said:

    More details here. Is this it?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Eh2Vwjx_lrsJ:thegurglingcod.ty
    pepad.com/thegurglingcod/files/zuni_chicken.doc+%22Salt+of+the+Eart
    h%22+2006+RUSS+PARSONS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

    Hmm....I just reread it..and it looks to be the same article. Not
    sure what is up about that.

    I thought there was another one, in which there was even more
    discussion on the technique. I could be wrong though...

    Christine

  17. Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On 17 Oct 2007 02:10:39 GMT, sandi <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    More details here. Is this it?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Eh2Vwjx_lrsJ:thegurglingco
    d.ty
    pepad.com/thegurglingcod/files/zuni_chicken.doc+%22Salt+of+the+
    Eart
    h%22+2006+RUSS+PARSONS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

    Hmm....I just reread it..and it looks to be the same article.
    Not sure what is up about that.

    I thought there was another one, in which there was even more
    discussion on the technique. I could be wrong though...

    Christine

    It seems longer than the other. Did you scroll down?

    Wish I could be of more help.

  18. Christine Dabney said:

    On 17 Oct 2007 02:10:39 GMT, sandi <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>I think I found the article:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/2fal6r

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    More details here. Is this it?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    Quoted message said:

    YES!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks, Sandi. For those who haven't looked at the links,
    they seem to be the same article but the second one is longer
    with full recipes.

    Steve

  19. [email hidden] (Steve Pope) wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gu8oy

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Sandi. For those who haven't looked at the links,
    they seem to be the same article but the second one is longer
    with full recipes.

    Steve

    Welcome. :-)

  20. hahabogus said:

    Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think his article is available for free anymore, or I would
    point you to his.

    A re-print from a google search

    Jack and Kay Hartman
    Aug 17 1999, 2:00 am
    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

    clipped and saved. thanks, alan.

    your pal,
    blake

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.