Kids' Cycle Clothing (not those plastic things...)

Tony B

Guest
Hello all,

I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
whatever. Mitts particularly though. Sheldon says kids feel good about
having their own mitts for cycling and it makes sense to me; however I'm
talking three and six year olds here, not ten or twelve. Even if the
3-y-o is in 5-y-o stuff...

I am hoping to take the little darlings to a BS reasonably L (to
Manchester) for fitting (rather than have the ar$e of mail order) which
should all add to the "special" experience for them but where?

All useful replies etc. etc.

bfn,

Tony B

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
> whatever. Mitts particularly though. Sheldon says kids feel good about
> having their own mitts for cycling and it makes sense to me; however I'm
> talking three and six year olds here, not ten or twelve. Even if the 3-y-o
> is in 5-y-o stuff...
>
> I am hoping to take the little darlings to a BS reasonably L (to
> Manchester) for fitting (rather than have the ar$e of mail order) which
> should all add to the "special" experience for them but where?
>
> All useful replies etc. etc.
>
> bfn,
>
> Tony B

Dunno 'bowt shops, but the Team CSC website has a shop where you can
purchase kid-sized replica kit. IIRC Pro-bike kit are also doing kid-sized
replica kit of various teams. Then there's the kid stuff on Primal Wear &
then there's basic kid's stuff at Mike Dyason

Cheers, helen s

I submit that on or about Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:01:10 +0100, the person
known to the court as Tony B
<[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle) to the
following effect:

>I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
>whatever.

We got some from a trade stall at a bike rally, very reasonable.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
>>whatever.

> We got some from a trade stall at a bike rally, very reasonable.

Talking of which, anyone here going to Mildenhall this year?

--
Tony

Anon

> Talking of which, anyone here going to Mildenhall this year?
>
> --
> Tony

Hopefully The Unfit Family will be there for at least one day - not 29th
though, as the offspring is entered into a TT for then.

Cheers, helen s

Tony B wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
> whatever. Mitts particularly though. Sheldon says kids feel good about
> having their own mitts for cycling and it makes sense to me; however
> I'm talking three and six year olds here, not ten or twelve. Even if
> the 3-y-o is in 5-y-o stuff...
>
> I am hoping to take the little darlings to a BS reasonably L (to
> Manchester) for fitting (rather than have the ar$e of mail order)
> which should all add to the "special" experience for them but where?

No idea how far it is from Manchester to Newcastle (I am Scottish)

but http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/

then, online shop then, kids- bikes accesories and clothing.
Maybe if you have a look around there you will see items you (TINY)
want, then a trip to Newcastle and you (TINY) will be able to be fitted
for them.
Sorry if Manchester is beyond a "sensible" distance from Newcastle,
but would think if Newcastle has such an LBS then Manchester would have
one too.

BTW sizes are VERY misleading I am 5'3" and use LARGE body geometery
mitts and I wouldn't fancy going down a size. (YMMV)

--
yours S

In message <[email protected]>, Tony B
<[email protected]> writes
>Hello all,
>
>I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
>whatever. Mitts particularly though. Sheldon says kids feel good about
>having their own mitts for cycling and it makes sense to me; however
>I'm talking three and six year olds here, not ten or twelve. Even if
>the 3-y-o is in 5-y-o stuff...
>
>I am hoping to take the little darlings to a BS reasonably L (to
>Manchester) for fitting (rather than have the ar$e of mail order) which
>should all add to the "special" experience for them but where?

We got some Madison-branded children's mitts for my daughter in a bike
shop in Ambleside the other week - just GBP4.95, choice of red or blue.
Very happy with them for the price. We also noticed them in the bike
shop in Grizedale Forest. As a 10-year-old she took size XL, but the
small/med size would probably be okay for your kids. So if you fancy a
day-trip to the Lakes... Alternatively, most bike shops deal with
Madison. You'll find the mitts listed on their website at

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/

- select "Cycling" [duh], then "Mitts" from the index on the left. Put
your postcode in as if you're going to order, and it'll tell you who
your nearest Madison dealers are. Phone around and you'll probably find
one that's got some of the mitts in stock.

If you can bear to face mail order, St John Street Cycles are auctioning
off a never-ending supply of Bell kids' cycle mitts on eBay.
Neoprene-backed, in lurid pink or purple - seem quite well-made, and
probably quite warm. Search for "childs bike gloves". I got a pair for
less than a fiver including postage. Again the S/M size would be about
right for your 6-year-old (it was too small for my 10-y-o).

Tony B wrote:
> I'm after recommendations for kid-specific mitts, shorts, shirts -
> whatever. Mitts particularly though. Sheldon says kids feel good about
> having their own mitts for cycling and it makes sense to me; however I'm
> talking three and six year olds here, not ten or twelve. Even if the
> 3-y-o is in 5-y-o stuff...

One of the "stalls" (actually, this supplier had a big tent to
themselves) at York Rally was giving away free kids' track mitts. They
were rather nice, leather palms and string backs, just like Daddy's. So
my two now have a pair each.

They have "Halfords" printed upon them, giving a clue as to their
origin. I can't remember the name of the supplier we bought them from,
though. Does anyone remember who it was at York who had a sale on the
Saturday only?

Hmm, credit card statement, what does that say? It just says "Outdoor
Group (Trading", which probably doesn't help much.