Kilowatt club

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Can you suggest a good method? I recall mention of a test where you hold the rear brake, stand on a pedal, have the PT display set to torque and compare it against a given value? is that the one? and if it is, could you please share the details? I've forgotten!
Jim's method works. I think it probably works fine to zero torque while standing still (feet out of the pedals), but the factory recommended method is to zero torque while coasting. It's a good idea to zero torque once a week and before performance tests, although some people zero torque on every ride.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Max Torque (hub) 647 lb-in
That's good. I rarely get over 500 lb-in and most of my sprints are in the 300s.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
So I have to ask, doesn't this come back to that whole thread I alluded to about 5sec power and its utility? The 5sec power, I'm inferring is perhaps more applicable to track events much more so than RR's & crits? - this is what you mean? And if so, you are saying AWC becomes a big factor in one's success at these types of events (RR's)?
In RRs and crits, your 5sec power will come into play once per race (assuming you are with the lead group), in a field sprint finish. I have never looked at the PM files of women's crits and RRs, so I don't know what they typically do in the 60secs or so before the finish, but in a typical men's race there is a gradual buildup beginning somewhere between 30-60secs from the finish, then someone will launch a full power attack at about the -20sec mark, then the last 5-10secs is all out for everybody. So, it might go 300-400-500-full power in the last 30secs or so. If the finish is uphill, someone with a high AWC might launch an attack from several minutes out (I would) to try and destroy the sprinters, but they won't do that on a flat finish because you can't drop them. So, clearly you have to be able to survive everything else to be in the game for the last 30secs, and you have to learn how to position yourself (e.g., not get boxed in), but if you can do a ramp up to ~500W and then launch a 1300-1400W sprint in the last 5 secs, I think that would be a formidable finish in women's crits and RRs (in any category).

As to AWC, I just think its importance in RRs and crits is often underappreciated. For one thing, it's a non-trivial task to merely figure out how much of one's AWC was used in a race and where. When people get dropped in a RR or crit, the first place they seem to look is FTP. They are perplexed because often their NP was well within their FTP at the point at which they got dropped. But, if you study the ride file from an AWC perspective, you see that they burned a bunch of matches and when they got dropped they had just basically run out of matches. I think one cannot have too much AWC. I want the biggest AWC I can have, to be able to withstand (or launch;) ) repeated attacks. AWC simply can't be too high, and it is highly trainable. I think Andy Coggan said in another thread that he had raised his AWC by some huge percentage (40%?) with targeted training. That's huge! That's in part why he can race with a "scorched earth" approach. He's just draining everybody's AWC with every attack until they can't respond. Of course, if he had your 5sec power, he might just wheel-suck for 50 miles and wait for the sprint.:D

otb4evr said:
Lucy,

After you have started riding, put your arrows on the wattage line and hold down the right button until the "watts" flashes. You are now in Torque mode. If you see any number other than zero, hold the right button down until it goes to zero.

Regardless, to get back to Wattage mode, push the right button.

Jim
Hi - thanks for the tip Jim - I did this today during my road on some downhill/coasting sections and the torque value was 0.

otb4evr said:
Yeah, started the ride today and it was 28 degrees. Luckily, no wind.

It is now 42, but it feels a bit nippy...

I would love to live out west, but...

Jim
Oh my 28 degrees - wow - that's plenty cold! I really enjoyed the culture, arts, and diversity of Toronto & Chicago but....lo! I'm from the tropics and the winters were brutal :eek:

I remember taking the Rocket (subway) in Toronto and seeing people riding their bikes to work in below 0 weather - stern stuff they are made of!

Go west I say! :)

RapDaddyo said:
Jim's method works. I think it probably works fine to zero torque while standing still (feet out of the pedals), but the factory recommended method is to zero torque while coasting. It's a good idea to zero torque once a week and before performance tests, although some people zero torque on every ride.

That's good. I rarely get over 500 lb-in and most of my sprints are in the 300s.
I will keep this in mind about zeroing the torque. I did check it today while coasting and saw it was zero, so at least for now it seems ok.

Really? About the torque I mean. I had no idea or really any point of reference. I am still having a hard time going from this nominal maximal and 5s power value into something practical.

RapDaddyo said:
In RRs and crits, your 5sec power will come into play once per race (assuming you are with the lead group), in a field sprint finish. I have never looked at the PM files of women's crits and RRs, so I don't know what they typically do in the 60secs or so before the finish, but in a typical men's race there is a gradual buildup beginning somewhere between 30-60secs from the finish, then someone will launch a full power attack at about the -20sec mark, then the last 5-10secs is all out for everybody. So, it might go 300-400-500-full power in the last 30secs or so. If the finish is uphill, someone with a high AWC might launch an attack from several minutes out (I would) to try and destroy the sprinters, but they won't do that on a flat finish because you can't drop them. So, clearly you have to be able to survive everything else to be in the game for the last 30secs, and you have to learn how to position yourself (e.g., not get boxed in), but if you can do a ramp up to ~500W and then launch a 1300-1400W sprint in the last 5 secs, I think that would be a formidable finish in women's crits and RRs (in any category).

As to AWC, I just think its importance in RRs and crits is often underappreciated. For one thing, it's a non-trivial task to merely figure out how much of one's AWC was used in a race and where. When people get dropped in a RR or crit, the first place they seem to look is FTP. They are perplexed because often their NP was well within their FTP at the point at which they got dropped. But, if you study the ride file from an AWC perspective, you see that they burned a bunch of matches and when they got dropped they had just basically run out of matches. I think one cannot have too much AWC. I want the biggest AWC I can have, to be able to withstand (or launch;) ) repeated attacks. AWC simply can't be too high, and it is highly trainable. I think Andy Coggan said in another thread that he had raised his AWC by some huge percentage (40%?) with targeted training. That's huge! That's in part why he can race with a "scorched earth" approach. He's just draining everybody's AWC with every attack until they can't respond. Of course, if he had your 5sec power, he might just wheel-suck for 50 miles and wait for the sprint.:D
Wow! That's a lot of information - I'm still absorbing it to be fair but a few things really stood out.

1 - unlike Vo2max, which I understand to be much more limited by genetics and less trainable - AWC is very receptive to training and can be increased substantially.

2 - there's no such thing as too much AWC, particularly for racing.

3 - having big 5s power is meaningless if you are not in the group where the action is going to take place at the finish. So a reasonable FTP is needed. I would also think, means you need to have good power numbers for durations longer than 5s, maybe 1 minute or 5 minutes?

4 - I am light years from achieving point 3!!

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Wow! That's a lot of information - I'm still absorbing it to be fair but a few things really stood out.

1 - unlike Vo2max, which I understand to be much more limited by genetics and less trainable - AWC is very receptive to training and can be increased substantially.

2 - there's no such thing as too much AWC, particularly for racing.

3 - having big 5s power is meaningless if you are not in the group where the action is going to take place at the finish. So a reasonable FTP is needed. I would also think, means you need to have good power numbers for durations longer than 5s, maybe 1 minute or 5 minutes?

4 - I am light years from achieving point 3!!
You got it.:D

RapDaddyo said:
You got it.:D
Uh, thank you, I think!

I did some more L4 work today on the big mountain - admittedly couldn't help myself from doing a few sprints in the midst of it.....hit 1000 several times but peak was only 1127 today :rolleyes:

My legs felt tired before the workout - from yesterday's L4 and the sprints - I'm thinking consecutive L7 days for me & L4's are not a good idea!

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
My legs felt tired before the workout - from yesterday's L4 and the sprints - I'm thinking consecutive L7 days for me & L4's are not a good idea!
You need to be sure you know what your objective is (applies to all high-intensity efforts). If your objective is training, then you don't have to hit your peak numbers. If your objective is to do a performance test (to measure your progress), then you want to be fresh and do the effort being tested early in the ride. I commonly do L7 intervals at the end of my ride and I know they aren't going to be anywhere near my maximum. But, I don't care because my objective is adaptation and a near-maximum effort will suffice.

RapDaddyo said:
You need to be sure you know what your objective is (applies to all high-intensity efforts). If your objective is training, then you don't have to hit your peak numbers. If your objective is to do a performance test (to measure your progress), then you want to be fresh and do the effort being tested early in the ride. I commonly do L7 intervals at the end of my ride and I know they aren't going to be anywhere near my maximum. But, I don't care because my objective is adaptation and a near-maximum effort will suffice.
Fair enough. And in what you are saying, the benefit is there, to doing these, even if the numbers aren't your max then.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Fair enough. And in what you are saying, the benefit is there, to doing these, even if the numbers aren't your max then.
Right. For example, you don't have to do L4s at 100%FTP. I often do longer L4s at, say, 91-93%FTP. Doing them at 100%FTP compromises the total volume I can do on a given day.

acoggan said:
You do realize, don't you, that unless you're exceptionally fast, even your 1 km efforts are predominantly aerobic in nature, and thus like probably 95+% of training that people usually do, serves to raise your functional threshold power? (That's especially true if you do more than just a few efforts, and/or allow only a few min of recovery in between them.)

If you want to do some true level 6/level 7 training, here's a workout you might try:

1) using an 86"-88" gear, warm up in a paceline, gradually building the intensity up to race pace (~20 min);

2) get off your bike, drink some water, stretch a little, and put on a 92"-94" gear (~15 min);

3) do an all-put 500 m effort from a standing start (~40 s);

4) roll around the track a few times, then get off, drink some more, stretch a little, then get back on the track and do a few more easy laps (~20 min);

5) repeat steps #3 and #4 three more times;

6) go home.

Congratulations...now you really know what anaerobic training is like! :)
hey you forgot to warm down.

RapDaddyo said:
In RRs and crits, your 5sec power will come into play once per race (assuming you are with the lead group), in a field sprint finish.
I don't know about anyone else, I rarely hit my maximum 5 seconds at the finish...

Peak 20 - 30 second, yes.

The peak 5 second almost always happens when I am responding to an attack...

Jim

RapDaddyo said:
Paul,

I am wondering if this has to do with how she executed her sprint.

I have always seen bigger torque numbers when I almost came to a complete stop and pounded a little gear.

Most of my training revolves around form sprints in my 53x17, though...

Lucy, how did you do the sprint when you saw your big number?

Jim

otb4evr said:
Paul,

I have always seen bigger torque numbers when I almost came to a complete stop and pounded a little gear.

Most of my training revolves around form sprints in my 53x17, though...

Lucy, how did you do the sprint when you saw your big number?

Jim
Jim - you described it to a tee!

I did this on a slight incline, about 1-2%, in the middle chainring (yes I need a triple - 12-27 out back! :eek:), then from almost a stop, stood and went all out. So yes, I was in a small gear going very, very slowly.

Question - I have been sprinting with my hands around or near the hoods. Is this the best way? Are the drops better? I ask because seriously, at times I can feel the bike lift up from under me when I go really hard.

otb4evr said:
Paul,

Maybe. I couldn't get 600 lb-ins at 25-30mph in a typical crit or RR sprint finish. I think I'd be happy with 300-400.

RapDaddyo said:
In RRs and crits, your 5sec power will come into play once per race (assuming you are with the lead group)
Agree with everything except this point. Check this crit file out..... I was in the lead (& winning) break of six riders at State Champs. 5 sec power was critical to success in this race.

RapDaddyo said:
Maybe. I couldn't get 600 lb-ins at 25-30mph in a typical crit or RR sprint finish. I think I'd be happy with 300-400.
I'm sure you would be, but then I am going < 15 mph when I start these sprints! I would think you don't need anywhere near 600 lb-ins for a RR or crit finish right?

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Question - I have been sprinting with my hands around or near the hoods. Is this the best way? Are the drops better? I ask because seriously, at times I can feel the bike lift up from under me when I go really hard.
In a true sprint, aerodynamics matters, so you would probably want to be in the drops, fairly far forward and low. Take a look at some of the pics of the women track championships for good position.

Alex Simmons said:
Agree with everything except this point. Check this crit file out..... I was in the lead (& winning) break of six riders at State Champs. 5 sec power was critical to success in this race.
Wow - very impressive numbers! :cool:

Hitting way over 1000 again and again, then at the end to win...

Alex Simmons said:
Yes, I can see that, for hard accelerations out of the corners, especially for a tight, technical course. Unusual, but certainly possible.