Klein integrated headset questions...

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I just bought a Klein Quantum Pro frame/fork, NOS from a few years ago. It does
appear to be brand new. There are no signs it was ever built up -- the steerer
is uncut, I had to clean overspray out of the BB shell to get the BB in, and
there are absolutely no marks from derailers, cables or brake calipers. Only
the rear dropout looks as if it ever had a wheel in it. The finish is
immaculate.

Anyway, the headset seems stiff, with no visible way to adjust it. It's OK on
center to about 20-30 deg off to either side, then stiffens considerably. It
turns freely all the way around, but not like a headset should. Can/should the
headset be adjusted somehow?

The steerer itself seems pressed into the headset -- it doesn't slip out like
most threadless steerers. On my other frame and fork, with a Cane Creek
headset, the fork will practically fall out once the stem is loosened.

Is all this normal?

Also, there's a big wave washer thing on the steerer. It's made of very thin,
but firmly flexing steel, and the waves are a good 1/4" tall. What's it for,
and where is it supposed to go?

Matt O.

>I just bought a Klein Quantum Pro frame/fork, NOS from a few years ago. It
>does
> appear to be brand new. There are no signs it was ever built up -- the
> steerer
> is uncut, I had to clean overspray out of the BB shell to get the BB in,
> and
> there are absolutely no marks from derailers, cables or brake calipers.
> Only
> the rear dropout looks as if it ever had a wheel in it. The finish is
> immaculate.
>
> Anyway, the headset seems stiff, with no visible way to adjust it. It's
> OK on
> center to about 20-30 deg off to either side, then stiffens considerably.
> It
> turns freely all the way around, but not like a headset should.
> Can/should the
> headset be adjusted somehow?

I have a 2002 Klein Quantum Race that has the same symptoms. It turns fine
close to the center and gets tight at some point. It doesn't get tighter
the farther you turn. My 2002 Cannondale CADD 4 turns freely throughout the
complete radius. I don't think that the Klein is normal but has never
caused me any problems.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:22:25 -0400, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I just bought a Klein Quantum Pro frame/fork, NOS from a few years ago. It does
>appear to be brand new. There are no signs it was ever built up -- the steerer
>is uncut, I had to clean overspray out of the BB shell to get the BB in, and
>there are absolutely no marks from derailers, cables or brake calipers. Only
>the rear dropout looks as if it ever had a wheel in it. The finish is
>immaculate.
>
>Anyway, the headset seems stiff, with no visible way to adjust it. It's OK on
>center to about 20-30 deg off to either side, then stiffens considerably. It
>turns freely all the way around, but not like a headset should. Can/should the
>headset be adjusted somehow?
>
>The steerer itself seems pressed into the headset -- it doesn't slip out like
>most threadless steerers. On my other frame and fork, with a Cane Creek
>headset, the fork will practically fall out once the stem is loosened.
>
>Is all this normal?
>
>Also, there's a big wave washer thing on the steerer. It's made of very thin,
>but firmly flexing steel, and the waves are a good 1/4" tall. What's it for,
>and where is it supposed to go?
>
>Matt O.

Unfortunately, that's normal. You are not alone! ;-)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=5900+headset&meta=group=rec.bicycles.tech

matt-<< Anyway, the headset seems stiff, with no visible way to adjust it.
It's OK on
center to about 20-30 deg off to either side, then stiffens considerably. It
turns freely all the way around, but not like a headset should. Can/should the
headset be adjusted somehow? >><BR><BR>

Nope. It is pressed in sealed bearings and 'may' loosen up over time. No way to
adjust.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.