Knee Woes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nelson Binch, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems with my right knee. The funny
    thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt badly last winter. Now it seems perfectly healthy while
    after a relatively short ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big
    gears to push) my right knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best form of Ibuprofen ever made.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/18/2003

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    with
    > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt badly last winter. Now it seems
    > perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    short
    > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my right
    > knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best form of Ibuprofen ever made.)

    This is what happened to me, in several different ways - with me (e.g.), when I broke my left leg
    and generally traumatised all the joints in it, my other leg started to hurt as the bad one healed.
    Now, well, I have two half knackered legs, heheheheh....

    I think often it's because you subconsciously load the good joint to protect the bad one, and cause
    it some grief. Maybe that's the case with you?

    Shaun aRe - hope it heals! Try a support on it.

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    with
    > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt badly last winter. Now it seems
    > perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    short
    > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my right
    > knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best form of Ibuprofen ever made.)

    Exactly where on the knee does it hurt? Front? Side? Back?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    with
    > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt badly last winter. Now it seems
    > perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    short
    > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my right
    > knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best form of Ibuprofen ever made.)
    >

    > ---

    I have a pretty constant pain in my right knee, just above the kneecap and often right beneath it as
    well. Sometimes working it (i.e., riding) makes it feel a lot better, sometimes it makes it a lot
    worse. I've found that biking (and hiking, and sitting - doing anything) with an ACE brace makes it
    feel a whole lot better - I have the white one with metal stabilizers along both sides. Before I
    wore the brace, I could tell I was favoring my left side, which led to pain in the left knee. Try
    the brace - it's only about $10 - and see if that helps. Do try to equalize both sides - my father
    has chronic lower back problems because, after his appendectomy 30-odd years ago, his left ab
    muscles never quite healed properly, so were never as strong as his right side. After over 3 decades
    of favoring the left side, and leaning just the slightest bit, his lower spine is tweaked just
    enough to nag him every waking moment of the day.

    Chris (should see a doctor about the damn knee)

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    | with
    | > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt
    badly
    | > last winter. Now it seems perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    | short
    | > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my right
    | > knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best
    form
    | > of Ibuprofen ever made.)
    |
    | Exactly where on the knee does it hurt? Front? Side? Back?

    Front, kind of in the middle of the kneecap

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/18/2003

  6. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > | > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    > | with
    > | > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt
    > badly
    > | > last winter. Now it seems perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    > | short
    > | > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no
    big
    > | > gears to push) my right knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best
    > form
    > | > of Ibuprofen ever made.)
    > |
    > | Exactly where on the knee does it hurt? Front? Side? Back?
    >
    > Front, kind of in the middle of the kneecap

    This might help:

    http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > | > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    > | with
    > | > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt
    > badly
    > | > last winter. Now it seems perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    > | short
    > | > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my
    > | > right knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best
    > form
    > | > of Ibuprofen ever made.)
    > |
    > | Exactly where on the knee does it hurt? Front? Side? Back?
    >
    > Front, kind of in the middle of the kneecap

    Believe it or not, this thing http://www.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=26 works
    great. They have other ones too depending on the injury.

    --
    Slacker

  8. Slacker wrote:
    > Believe it or not, this thing http://www.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=26 works
    > great. They have other ones too depending on the injury.

    My mom, a lifelong hairdresser and salon owner had crippling R.M.I. from years of cutting and using
    a blow-dryer on clients, etc. faced with the prospect of surgery she tried one of these and was able
    to fully return to work because of this device. I thought it was garbage and advisd her to save her
    $$, but it really worked for her.

  9. Hank Smith

    Hank Smith Guest

    shut up.

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't really understand it, but I'm really starting to have problems
    with
    > my right knee. The funny thing is, it was my left knee that I hurt badly last winter. Now it seems
    > perfectly healthy while after a relatively
    short
    > ride (5 miles) on my one and only bike with a compact drivetrain (no big gears to push) my right
    > knee is begging for Advil Liquigels (the best form of Ibuprofen ever made.)
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 4/18/2003

  10. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest