David Hare-Scott wrote
Quoted message said:zxcvbob said:If you want the purest salt possible, buy "pickling
salt".Just a broad observation (not directed specifically at
Bob), I find that many generalisations made in NGs are
biased towards what is available in the USA and the
practices common there. This is quite understandable as a
large number of participants are from there but it means
that the international reader has to filter and evaluate
what he/she reads even when everybody says it is so.
Right. In the US table salt has been iodized for many
decades. I do not ever recall seeing a goiter on a living
human, just in photographs of people outside the US. I
also do not ever recall seeing a container of table salt
in the US that was not marked Iodized unless it was
special purpose.
Quoted message said:{Long intense threads about the relative merits of
brand names that I have never heard of make me glaze
over :-) OTOH I learn things here that I wouldn't
'staying at home'.}
Chuckle. I love reading about products from other
continents. Without RFC, I would have never tried Lyle's
Golden Syrup (yum) or Vegemite (ugh).
Quoted message said:So far I have determined that "table salt" and "cooking
salt" mean different things around the world and the
additives that salts do or don't have also varies
considerably, kosher salt is probably the same.
Agreed. It's as pure as you can get with easy refining
methods, with only a little anticaking addictives. For NaCl
purity, kosher is the way to go.
Personally, I have switched to Mortons Lite Salt. It's about
50-50 potassium chloride and sodium chloride. I don't need
any potassium supplements any more. If I could get the
entire world outside of my house to switch to sea salt (with
10ish % potassium) I could also use sea salt at home.