Kreitler Rollers Flywheel

dad_of_seven

Oct 31, 2003
I recently purchased a set of Kreitler 3" rollers (dyno-lyte). I am new to rollers and was wondering if anyone had experience with the flywheel attachment. Does it help? Is it worthwhile or just a gimmick? Using the rollers, I do notice how bad my spin is. Advise.
Thanks,
J

Originally posted by dad_of_seven
I recently purchased a set of Kreitler 3" rollers (dyno-lyte). I am new to rollers and was wondering if anyone had experience with the flywheel attachment. Does it help? Is it worthwhile or just a gimmick? Using the rollers, I do notice how bad my spin is. Advise.
Thanks,
J

it will help. it will help mask deficiencies in your spin.

if improving your smoothness is one goal from using the rollers, i'd suggest using them without.

now if you were to add a front-fork mount to have the rollers do double duty as stationary trainer as well as rollers, i think the flywheel would be useful to provide a smoother "road feel"

Originally posted by drewski
it will help. it will help mask deficiencies in your spin.

if improving your smoothness is one goal from using the rollers, i'd suggest using them without.

now if you were to add a front-fork mount to have the rollers do double duty as stationary trainer as well as rollers, i think the flywheel would be useful to provide a smoother "road feel"

Thanks for the help. I do want to improve my spin first. Since i'm new to rollers, I was also looking for the 3-4 seconds it might allow to coast orease my spin without falling. I seem to have a square spin right now, very jerky. This is what makes me start to fall.

Thanks,
J

Originally posted by dad_of_seven
Thanks for the help. I do want to improve my spin first. Since i'm new to rollers, I was also looking for the 3-4 seconds it might allow to coast orease my spin without falling. I seem to have a square spin right now, very jerky. This is what makes me start to fall.

Thanks,
J

go on the rollers in a doorway so you have something to lean against if you're falling.

you might try working on the smoothness at lower RPM's (higher gearing) and then gradually (over sessions not minutes) increase your cadence.

trying to start out at a really high cadence with a jerky stroke is just going to be frustrating.

often-times the "jerky" stroke is a result of having much more effort exerted on the down-stroke vs. elsewhere on the pedal circle (i.e. mashing).

concentrate on keeping an even pedal pressure throughout the stroke and moving your feet in a circle as opposed to just "pushing down" on the pedals. you might think about starting to pull back as you cross 3 o'clock, pull up as you cross 6 o'clock etc.

have fun rolling!