kudos to OLN

Gakinney

Guest
After all the gripes about OLN, including my own, in the end
I have to say they have put on a good show for the tour this
year. It is hard to miss it, since they show the damn thing
all day long, and they seem to rerun the live show
immediately following ...the live show. And I usually watch
he expanded version in the evening, since I enjoy the
sidebars (especially since I've already seen the race once)
and other stories about the locations visited and the riders
past and present. It is obviously Lance-biased, but Phil and
Paul are not, and despite this, they still do enough about
the other riders and past victors to keep it overall
interesting. It is actually amazing how many hours per day
OLN devotes to the tour, especially considering what the
alternative might be. And Bob isn't getting on my nerves
nearly as much this year. The shot of him with his hands
bound and silent/(gagged) was enough to make me forgive him
for how annoying he can seem sometimes. I've surprisingly
actually enjoyed his race commentary.

"gakinney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD15FB5C.73C%[email protected]...
> After all the gripes about OLN, including my own, in the
> end I have to say they have put on a good show for the
> tour this year. It is hard to miss
it,
> since they show the damn thing all day long, and they seem
> to rerun the
live
> show immediately following ...the live show. And I usually
> watch he
expanded
> version in the evening, since I enjoy the sidebars
> (especially since I've already seen the race once) and
> other stories about the locations visited and the riders
> past and present. It is obviously Lance-biased, but Phil
and
> Paul are not, and despite this, they still do enough about
> the other
riders
> and past victors to keep it overall interesting. It is
> actually amazing
how
> many hours per day OLN devotes to the tour, especially
> considering what
the
> alternative might be. And Bob isn't getting on my nerves
> nearly as much
this
> year. The shot of him with his hands bound and
> silent/(gagged) was enough
> make me forgive him for how annoying he can seem
> sometimes. I've surprisingly actually enjoyed his race
> commentary.

Watch it dry up when Lance is gone. In fact we wouldn't even
be getting any women's coverage if not for Lance, well
actually we haven't lately but the women only get a chance
when cycling is hot, and this is as hot as it gets. Imagine
an American breaking a long held Euro record. Well you have
but the point is you guys are spoiled right now and when
Lance is gone and a American is not winning expect all the
classics to dry up and expect the TDF to be relegated to
much more limited coverage. But lets not spoil the day, just
enjoy this July because it's America's shining moment in
history. Phil and Paul are in their prime and the whole
thing is classic. This year could be the best finish ever
with the mountains to come. Look for Jan and Lance to wage
epic titanic battles.

Now a word from your regular scheduled sponsor....

gakinney wrote:

> After all the gripes about OLN, including my own, in the
> end I have to say they have put on a good show for the
> tour this year. It is hard to miss it, since they show the
> damn thing all day long, and they seem to rerun the live
> show immediately following ...the live show. And I usually
> watch he expanded version in the evening, since I enjoy
> the sidebars (especially since I've already seen the race
> once) and other stories about the locations visited and
> the riders past and present. It is obviously Lance-biased,
> but Phil and Paul are not, and despite this, they still do
> enough about the other riders and past victors to keep it
> overall interesting. It is actually amazing how many hours
> per day OLN devotes to the tour, especially considering
> what the alternative might be. And Bob isn't getting on my
> nerves nearly as much this year. The shot of him with his
> hands bound and silent/(gagged) was enough to make me
> forgive him for how annoying he can seem sometimes. I've
> surprisingly actually enjoyed his race commentary.

Those Cyclysm commercials gotta go, though. They guy is like
the worlds biggest Fred.

gakinney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BD15FB5C.73C%[email protected]>...
> After all the gripes about OLN, including my own, in the
> end I have to say they have put on a good show for the
> tour this year. It is hard to miss it, since they show
> the damn thing all day long, and they seem to rerun the
> live show immediately following ...the live show. It is
> actually amazing how many hours per day OLN devotes to
> the tour, especially considering what the alternative
> might be.

A little Tour TV history in the US.

The race (U.S. TV) didn't exist before LeMond. Between
LeMond and Armstrong, it bottomed out in 1994, the year
only one American finished the Tour. It had zero TV
coverage in the states. ESPN did nightly 30 minute wrap ups
before and after this for a few years. Why not write a
letter (not e-mail) to the CEO at OLN. Say thanks. If you
sign it, he'll read it.

Ronde Chump

I will ***** about the coverage for the next 3 weeks - but I
have to agree that i am more then happy with live coverage
of the entire Tour. Phil and Paul Sherwood forest are great!

Women's cycling - seriously, i never knew there even was
women's pro cycling - maybe its huge in Belgium?

"James Cagney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I will ***** about the coverage for the next 3 weeks - but
> I have to agree that i am more then happy with live
> coverage of the entire Tour. Phil and Paul Sherwood forest
> are great!
>
> Women's cycling - seriously, i never knew there even was
> women's pro cycling - maybe its huge in Belgium?

Dummy, Big races in the USA are Redlands, Sea Otter,
Cascade, Nature Valley, Wachovia, Gila, Tour De Toona, to
name a few. In Europe, Fleche Wallone, Amstel Gold, Giro,
even womens TDF in most years.

OLN started following several races with clips on Redlands,
Sea Otter and others highlighting Jeanson and other womens
teams and then it sort of dried up. Also they carried the
Womens worlds with Lunk-Skags first victory. Add to that
some random track events. In the past since the early 90's
there have been some random coverage from the Games in Spain
to Coors Classic, some races from colorado and others on
CBS, NBC or ABC.

> Those Cyclysm commercials gotta go, though. They guy is
> like the worlds biggest Fred.

agreed

Ronde Champ wrote:

> gakinney <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<BD15FB5C.73C%[email protected]>...
>
>>After all the gripes about OLN, including my own, in the
>>end I have to say they have put on a good show for the
>>tour this year. It is hard to miss it, since they show
>>the damn thing all day long, and they seem to rerun the
>>live show immediately following ...the live show. It is
>>actually amazing how many hours per day OLN devotes to
>>the tour, especially considering what the alternative
>>might be.
>

> A little Tour TV history in the US.
>
> The race (U.S. TV) didn't exist before LeMond. Between
> LeMond and Armstrong, it bottomed out in 1994, the year
> only one American finished the Tour. It had zero TV
> coverage in the states. ESPN did nightly 30 minute wrap
> ups before and after this for a few years. Why not write
> a letter (not e-mail) to the CEO at OLN. Say thanks. If
> you sign it, he'll read it.
>
> Ronde Chump

I wrote ESPN every year thanking them for those 30 minute
highlight shows and suggesting that the other Grand Tours
and the Monuments would make for excellent television - it
didn't work.

> Ronde Chump

Whoooops!

--