Kyalami

G

Anyone been to Kyalami to train ?

I've been on Tuesday and I whent again yesterday. We went round in the opposite direction to what the race cars would go, so we went up the mine shaft. This is quite a nice training ground. 4.4km on undulating terain with a nice climb in it and no traffic to worry about.

Hello Ouzo. I was there yesterday as well, my first time but I had to wait 50 mins in traffic to get there. If I can't get out of work before 4pm I won't bother going again. Pity as it is a great place to train (got only 4 laps in, wanted to do 10). Which one were you? I was the idiot riding around on a blue wheeler with a peaked helmet and a white shirt (I still can't decide if I should go fully roadie on these things) and wheezing a lot...

It also took me about 40 min to get there. And I was just up the road in Woodmead ???

I was the guy with the Bar One top. I was cycling with a partner but if I tell you I cant remember what he was wearing you'd laugh.

I also only did 4 laps. I was not feeling that great so did not want to push it much harder.

What times did you do around there ? On Tuesday my best was a 8m21.

I didn't keep a track of individual laps but kept an average of 28kph. Would assume that a best lap was probably at 30kph or so, so given 4.4 km, I would guess about 9mins or so (spent first lap cycling with a friend on a MTB). I guess I've got a lot of work to do as I want to do the 94.7 at 28kph and I think I'd probably only be able to 7/8 laps of the track at that currently and I don't think I'm going to get much bunch riding in the 94.7 (no seeding).

I may have seen you Ouzo. I was riding in the Club100 gear with the fellow in the yellow Lotus kit.

I may have seen you Ouzo.  I was riding in the Club100 gear with the fellow in the yellow Lotus kit.
Forgive me for forgeting, but what bike do you ride ? I'm pretty sure I saw you.

I will be training at the track again this arvies, anyone else going to joing ? who should I look out for ?

I'll be there. I'll be wearing black, grey & purple UD (De Rosa) kit. How will I recognise you?

Bar One top. blue Cannondale.
I'm going to try and organise a sticker for the back that reads OUZO

Hey Ouzo,

Good to meet you at last. Pity bout the rain though. We only managed 3 laps.

Hey Ouzo,

Good to meet you at last.  Pity bout the rain though.  We only managed 3 laps.
Yep good meeting you. We managed 2 laps as I was training my buddy on the MTB bike. And then I sat in traffic for 3 hour trying to get home.

Aish, its a real pity about the traffic around Kyalami. Has anyone queried training at night there? Strikes me it would be ideal, only cyclists on the track, force everyone to use lights, but they would only need to be for other cyclists not mad car drivers. And it would allow people to drive home that much later and miss traffic... I wouldn't even mind paying a nominal fee if they added this facility (what price on safety?)

Aish, its a real pity about the traffic around Kyalami.  Has anyone queried training at night there?  Strikes me it would be ideal, only cyclists on the track, force everyone to use lights, but they would only need to be for other cyclists not mad car drivers.  And it would allow people to drive home that much later and miss traffic...  I wouldn't even mind paying a nominal fee if they added this facility (what price on safety?)
the problem last night was not the usual traffic pattern. They had closed of the N3 for an accident and all alternative routes were backed up too.

They normaly close Kyalami when the sun goes down. By the time I've changed and packed and gotten going it after 6 meaning that a fair amount of traffic has subsided. Then it's not to bad a drive home.

Aish, its a real pity about the traffic around Kyalami.  Has anyone queried training at night there?  Strikes me it would be ideal, only cyclists on the track, force everyone to use lights, but they would only need to be for other cyclists not mad car drivers.  And it would allow people to drive home that much later and miss traffic...  I wouldn't even mind paying a nominal fee if they added this facility (what price on safety?)
the problem last night was not the usual traffic pattern. They had closed of the N3 for an accident and all alternative routes were backed up too.

They normaly close Kyalami when the sun goes down. By the time I've changed and packed and gotten going it after 6 meaning that a fair amount of traffic has subsided. Then it's not to bad a drive home.

We decided to go again today, so lets hope that the rain stays away until we're done.

What days is Kyalami open? I thought it was just Tuesday and Thursday...

Wednesdays aswell. Check out http://www.cyclelab.co.za for dates when it's closed.