Lake District

>I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
>what to go check out and what not?

Ummm - there are some pretty good hills, some lakes, quite a few good pubs etc. How about checking
them out. Sorry about that - couldnt resist. To be serious - climb Blencathra in the early morning
on a bright day. The whole district is spread out before you and the view is absolutely magnificent.
--
Graham Ransom. If you want to reply by email, please put ransoms at jandg dot demon dot co dot uk
where you see [email protected]

michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
> what to go check out and what not?

When I wrote a similar post about walking in France, one of my kind respondants said my request
was vague; I now understand what he means!

Unless you're intending point-to-point backpacking, I'd suggest using Ambleside as a base for a
first visit to the Lakes. (I always recommend this to colleagues, and no-one's complained yet!)
There's lots of walking at all levels from the town itself, and easy access to Langdale and
Patterdale. Should you feel like a change from walking, go to the cinema, or take a boat trip
on Windermere. Plenty of choices of eating places and accommodation, and you're very much in
the centre of the district, with at most a two-hour journey to the most remote hill.

I don't think there's a better guide to the Lake District than the seven-volume series by
Wainwright (hills you can get to direct from Ambleside appear in books 1, 2 and 3). But you may
prefer a more modern one-volume guidebook; both Bob Allen and the Fell and Rock Club have
produced good ones.

Hope this is useful! If you're going to the Lakes for the first time, you're in for a real
treat; I envy you the joy of discovering the area.

Mark
--
Mark Manning [email protected]

"Mark Manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
> > what to go check out and what not?
>
> When I wrote a similar post about walking in France, one of my kind respondants said my
> request was vague; I now understand what he means!
>
> Unless you're intending point-to-point backpacking, I'd suggest using Ambleside as a base for
> a first visit to the Lakes. (I always recommend this to colleagues, and no-one's complained
> yet!) There's lots of walking at all levels from the town itself, and easy access to Langdale
> and Patterdale. Should you feel like a change from walking, go to the cinema, or take a boat
> trip on Windermere. Plenty of choices of eating places and accommodation, and you're very
> much in the centre of the
district,
> with at most a two-hour journey to the most remote hill.

Keswick makes a good alternative and it's (a bit) quieter than Ambleside, which makes it nicer IMHO.
There's loads of walking/boating from the town.

Better still, make two trips and stay at both.

--
Bob Mannix (anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

>michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
>> what to go check out and what not?

If it's your first time in the Lakes maybe the best way of seeing it from South to North could be
following the Cumbria Way. Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx
200,000' of ascent to complete. At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells