Lamps for SON Dynamo

Andrew Sweetman wrote:

> "Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote
>> The beam is not focused sufficiently and simply too much spread out
>> at that distance resulting in low intensity.
>>

> "sufficiently" is a matter of opinion.

This depends on the riders needs, indeed.

> I took off my E6 because it was too focussed, and I found myself
> slowing right down for many corners because all the light was being
> beamed into the hedge, leaving nothing for the road.

Still less than 10lx in a distance of 10m and at 20km/h is very poor for
the solidlight. Compare to more than 20lx for the E6 and nearly 30lx
for the home made Touchdown. The total light output is quite high for
the Solidlight, plus it is a dual beam light. Now imagine having one
beam comparable to your E6 while using the other one for making the
beam wider close ahead resulting in a better light for winding roads.

Günther

In article <[email protected]>, Tony
B ([email protected]) wrote:
> Calles SJSC today, and after discussion with Ross I have decided to not
> go LED, for one thing I'm not sure (neither it seems is anyone else)
> that they will work OK without a rear to bring it all up to 3w.

I've been running mine without one at the tail end of a couple of 200s -
probably about 100 km so far - and it's still happy, so I don't think
that's an issue. If it does go "phut", I shall inform The Panel
immediately.

A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:18:23 -0000, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Tony
>B ([email protected]) wrote:
>
>I've been running mine without one at the tail end of a couple of 200s -
>probably about 100 km so far - and it's still happy, so I don't think
>that's an issue. If it does go "phut", I shall inform The Panel
>immediately.

Mine has been running with a S6 sidewall dynamo longer than that. I
have been using it since the clocks went back for 1 hour 20 mins in
the evening and 1 hour 20 mins in the morning until about now.
Commuting adds up the distance and time. No problems.

Sometimes B&M insturuction leaflets report features and issues of
other products in the same family. AFAIK there is no problem running
my DLumotec Topal Plus without a rear lamp.

"Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Sweetman wrote:
>
> > "Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> The beam is not focused sufficiently and simply too much spread out
> >> at that distance resulting in low intensity.
> >>

> > "sufficiently" is a matter of opinion.

> This depends on the riders needs, indeed.
>
> > I took off my E6 because it was too focussed, and I found myself
> > slowing right down for many corners because all the light was being
> > beamed into the hedge, leaving nothing for the road.

> Still less than 10lx in a distance of 10m and at 20km/h is very poor for
> the solidlight. Compare to more than 20lx for the E6 and nearly 30lx
> for the home made Touchdown. The total light output is quite high for
> the Solidlight, plus it is a dual beam light. Now imagine having one
> beam comparable to your E6 while using the other one for making the
> beam wider close ahead resulting in a better light for winding roads.
>
> Günther

I've used a Lumotec Oval primary with E6 secondary dual headlight setup
(switchbox to use either/both as wanted), and I still prefer the Solidlight.
Perhaps that's because if I'm going as slow as 20 kph I'm not very
interested seeing too far, and at higher speeds the solidlight gets brighter
(up to 40kph according to the manual).

Andrew Sweetman wrote:

> "Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Andrew Sweetman wrote:
>>
>> > "Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote
>> >>
>> > "sufficiently" is a matter of opinion.

>> This depends on the riders needs, indeed.
>>
>> > I took off my E6 because it was too focussed, and I found myself
>> > slowing right down for many corners because all the light was being
>> > beamed into the hedge, leaving nothing for the road.

>> Still less than 10lx in a distance of 10m and at 20km/h is very poor
>> for the solidlight.

> I've used a Lumotec Oval primary with E6 secondary dual headlight
> setup (switchbox to use either/both as wanted), and I still prefer the
> Solidlight. Perhaps that's because if I'm going as slow as 20 kph I'm
> not very interested seeing too far, and at higher speeds the
> solidlight gets brighter (up to 40kph according to the manual).

I will most certainly not argue against your experience. Obviously the
product works for you, and you have compared it to other well reputated
lights. Still for me the E6 gives about what I need far ahead and based
on the cited tests I would not consider to replace it with the
Solidlight. It might be intersting to test it, but then it is hard to
find an one around here.

Günther