Lance won't win #5 this year

> No, Lance hasn't made a single attack yet.

That one sentence says speaks volumes. Postal is doing things differently this year, and I'm not
sure they planned it that way.

> I don't think people are looking hard enough to see what the difference is between Lance and
> Ullrich.

The main difference is that at the moment Jan appears stronger than Lance.

> Lance has already shown that his team can dust Jan and Bianchi in the mountains when they need to
> and took advantage of that already.

If Jan had been dusted on the Alpe d'Huez, he'd be more than 34 seconds back.

> So I don't really understand how people are jumping to the conclusion that it is all over for
> Lance. Sure there isn't much margin for error, but the only real change I see this year is that
> Jan has put forth some spectacular ITT's.

You need to look more closely, because you aren't seeing that Lance is descendant and other riders
are ascendant. You have two strong riders that have gained time in the last several stages. And Vino
was a surprise to many in the ITT.

Lance can still win, but it won't be because he won in 1999 or 2002. If that were true, Indurain
would have won in '96, Riis in '97, Ullrich in '98.

Unless Jan really does something amazing in the final time trial, he'll lose the race in the
mountains. Lance just needs to crush the field in the mountains and then stay close in the
time trial.

;P

Any other future events you want to apply your worldly knowledge too?

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:33:19 GMT, Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote:

>1981 was the last time there were two TTT's in the same Tour. Raleigh won both the 40km stage 1b
>and the 77km stage 4.
>
>Dan

Correct and it would have happened again in 1982 if stage #5 hadn't been cancelled for reasons that
escape me.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:55:23 GMT, "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i am not cluesless i read that there are 2 team time trials (with the second one taking place on
>the day before they enter paris) in the english version of the offical tour de france website

I hope they don't write that you have to jump in the river on that site...

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:30:52 GMT, jhx99 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jan is not the climber he was in 96-97 and will be fortunate to limit his losses in the pyreenes to
>3-4 minutes. He lost 1.24 to Lance on Alpe d´Huez and Lance was not even at his best that day,
>riding with a rubbing brake for most of the stage.

Heh - heh. I have a bridge to sell you, too - one owner, lady-driven.

geez

"SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
> Unless Jan really does something amazing in the final time trial, he'll lose the race in the
> mountains. Lance just needs to crush the field in the mountains and then stay close in the
> time trial.
>
> ;P
>
> Any other future events you want to apply your worldly knowledge too?
>
> "David Patnaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Unless Lance really does something amazing during the next few days in
the
> > mountains, he'll lose the race in the final time trial. Ullrich just
needs
> > to stay close in the mountains and then crush the field again in the
time
> > trial.

Let the crush begin already!

jumphress wrote:

> > No, Lance hasn't made a single attack yet.
>
> That one sentence says speaks volumes. Postal is doing things differently this year, and I'm not
> sure they planned it that way.
>
> > I don't think people are looking hard enough to see what the difference is between Lance and
> > Ullrich.
>
> The main difference is that at the moment Jan appears stronger than Lance.
>
> > Lance has already shown that his team can dust Jan and Bianchi in the mountains when they need
> > to and took advantage of that already.
>
> If Jan had been dusted on the Alpe d'Huez, he'd be more than 34 seconds back.
>
> > So I don't really understand how people are jumping to the conclusion that it is all over for
> > Lance. Sure there isn't much margin for error, but the only real change I see this year is that
> > Jan has put forth some spectacular ITT's.
>
> You need to look more closely, because you aren't seeing that Lance is descendant and other riders
> are ascendant. You have two strong riders that have gained time in the last several stages. And
> Vino was a surprise to many in the ITT.
>
> Lance can still win, but it won't be because he won in 1999 or 2002. If that were true, Indurain
> would have won in '96, Riis in '97, Ullrich in '98.

Actually it means ROBIC would be winning since 1947...