#Lama boy was saving his legs for a big effort at Baliang this saturday:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p
#And I sat in the bunch in A Grade, did a couple of turns and watched in awe as the attacks flew away into the distance. A grade average was down to 39.7, but I'm not complaining.

Jono

On 2006-03-29, Jono L (aka Bruce)

> That's right folks it's all over.
> Here are the headlines after the final frantic night of crit action,
> action, action!
> #Craigtster took a tumble, I hope only your ego was injured (seriously,
> you okay mate?)
> #Tim C took 2nd in D, he now has all of winter to train for his long
> awaited C grade intitiation, congrats mate.

TimC also discovered a new maximum heart rate.

Hey, this sprinting thing can be fun.

> #Ess attacked relentlessly in C and was up there at 2 laps to do but I
> didn't catch the finish of C...
> #Mr Brewer was officiating with gusto and as many people have stated,
> great fluoro fashion sense
> #Dutchy failed in his bid to use his political power to slip back into
> D grade, the result; a non-flyingdutchman.

I think D lapped him twice :)

Ah well, next race we can form a team. I see Craigster failed in his
duties of helping out Dutchy. Shame shame.

--
TimC
So there you have it, supplicant. The Europeans aren't morally superior

Jono L said:
[...]

My intention for this crit was to treat it as a training ride. I wanted to do as much as I could on the front until I was spent, then go again...and again until I had zero left.

Lap 1 was meant to be neutral, so put the hammer down on Lap 2, establishing a bit of a lead for the next 10 mins. Tucked in behind a few riders to recover for the next 2 laps, then went again trying to put a bit more hurt into my legs and hopefully those following. Think I had another couple of cracks at the front, in the end finished towards the back of the bunch going over the line.

Very happy with the effort

Av speed was 36.9.

Hope Craig's collarbone is alright, heard the crash behind me, saw Craig standing up when we passed again, so assumed no damage was done.

Great effort Tim :)

Jono L said:
That's right folks it's all over.
Here are the headlines after the final frantic night of crit action, action, action!
#Craigtster took a tumble, I hope only your ego was injured (seriously, you okay mate?)

Just got back from St Vincents (at 11:45!). No major damage thank goodness. Had my collerbone x-rayed and I'm in the clear. Got a huge patch of skin missing on my shoulder, couple of stitches in my elbow and a rather swollen knuckle. Feeling pretty sore but still smiling thanks to Voltarin. Helmet is cracked, almost brand new Assos knicks are holed :( and my jersey is a mess. Bike status is unknown as it's with Ray - front wheel was twisted and one of the shifters had bent round, but other than that it looked like it just needs a fresh bar wrap.

I was pulling out of the harpin in a fairly comfortable position in the front 1/3. The pace had shifted up a bit to catch Calvin who'd made a jump (what was he doing in C anyway - didn't he win two in a row?). As I came out the saddle to push up the hill, I shifted the chain down two cogs, and with that it popped off the chainring. My right foot came out of the pedal, and I landed on the bars right in the Crown Jewels. The back wheel came flying up, I hit the deck shoulder first followed rapidly by the side of my head, and over she went. Thankfully everyone made it past me fine (well done guys) as did D-grade who came round straight afterwards. Ray took me back to the car and Wayne called the Ambo. I've completely forgotten the name of the guy who was looking after me at Ray's car but thanks mate - I owe you one.

So it wasn't quite the way I'd expected to finish my last ever Kew crit, but after two seasons it will certainly stand out! Thanks to everyone who make them possible - Dutch for being Mr Rego so often, Ray for pretty much organising everything, Simon for watching the finish and a big up to Bleve and Cam for doing a fantastic job as rolling commisaires. Having them definitely made a big difference this season.

Hopefully I'll get the bike fixed up quickly and be out for a 'farewell BR' before I go.

Craigster.

On 2006-03-29, craigster_jd (aka Bruce)
> I was pulling out of the harpin in a fairly comfortable position in the
> front 1/3. The pace had shifted up a bit to catch Calvin who'd made a
> jump (what was he doing in C anyway - didn't he win two in a row?). As
> I came out the saddle to push up the hill, I shifted the chain down two
> cogs, and with that it popped off the chainring. My right foot came out
> of the pedal, and I landed on the bars right in the Crown Jewels. The
> back wheel came flying up, I hit the deck shoulder first followed
> rapidly by the side of my head, and over she went.

Struth! I had a pedal come out a few laps prior, thankfully nothing
like that!

> Thankfully everyone
> made it past me fine (well done guys) as did D-grade who came round
> straight afterwards. Ray took me back to the car and Wayne called the
> Ambo. I've completely forgotten the name of the guy who was looking
> after me at Ray's car but thanks mate - I owe you one.

I thought I saw another rider down with you? Was that someone helping
you up? Or was I just seeing stars at the time?

> So it wasn't quite the way I'd expected to finish my last ever Kew
> crit, but after two seasons it will certainly stand out!

If something was broken, then you wouldn't be able to fly out.
Muhahaha - trapped! :)

> Hopefully I'll get the bike fixed up quickly and be out for a 'farewell
> BR' before I go.

If you don't, I hear G.Brunya from the CM list has a smallish white
girls bike called 'Katie' from the early 80's, you can loan :)

I fully expect you out there :)

--
TimC
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

craigster_jd wrote:

> So it wasn't quite the way I'd expected to finish my last ever Kew
> crit, but after two seasons it will certainly stand out! Thanks to
> everyone who make them possible - Dutch for being Mr Rego so often, Ray
> for pretty much organising everything, Simon for watching the finish and
> a big up to Bleve and Cam for doing a fantastic job as rolling
> commisaires. Having them definitely made a big difference this season.

Thankyou.

essendon93 said:
My intention for this crit was to treat it as a training ride. I wanted to do as much as I could on the front until I was spent, then go again...and again until I had zero left.

ummm - isn't this what the crit is for???? Thats exactly what I do each time I ride it! Next season I'll be linking seamlessly the 2 x 10 min (with 5 min recovery btn) reps into one 25 min rep :D :p

Well done Tim on your ride - it was a strong consistent ride and a well deserved silver medal to you!! (good to "meet" you at last also :p)

I was one of the 1st D Graders coming around the hairpin (dont ask why ;) )and saw the crash - bikes flying and a few bodies following. Looked like a couple of you went down. Glad everything is Ok Craigster - saw the ambulance later and thought "O Sh!t".

Thanks to all who organise the crit - it's been excellent training and each week I actually improve in some area! Yaaay! darned corners hehe (thanks Bleve for last night).

aim was to break 12min barrier that i got dropped at last time...
didnt work. As if scripted i found myself at back of bunch with that 'sidewinder' dude, came round the corner, left pedal slipped which took any fight i had left out of me. Legs, lungs, girth aint up to that (yet).
Wouldnt have minded so much being bumped up if i was actually 'up' to it :(
rather embarrassing. Also rathe rembarrassing being lapped by Dgrade twice. sitting in a bunch is obviously far easier :rolleyes:

oh well. the winter crits will be needed for training to get up to speed for next Summer...

flyingdutch said:
aim was to break 12min barrier that i got dropped at last time...
didnt work. As if scripted i found myself at back of bunch with that 'sidewinder' dude, came round the corner, left pedal slipped which took any fight i had left out of me. Legs, lungs, girth aint up to that (yet).
Wouldnt have minded so much being bumped up if i was actually 'up' to it :(
rather embarrassing. Also rathe rembarrassing being lapped by Dgrade twice. sitting in a bunch is obviously far easier :rolleyes:

oh well. the winter crits will be needed for training to get up to speed for next Summer...

HEY!! there AINT NOTHUN wrong with being lapped x 2 by D Grade buddy!!!! stop dissin' the lappings!!!! :D ;) :p

warrwych said:
HEY!! there AINT NOTHUN wrong with being lapped x 2 by D Grade buddy!!!! stop dissin' the lappings!!!! :D ;) :p

only embarrassing as a few weeks ago was sitting at the front of D lapping other people, now I join the halcyon ranks of 'others' :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
only embarrassing as a few weeks ago was sitting at the front of D lapping other people, now I join the halcyon ranks of 'others' :rolleyes:

nah.. it's just a training ride dude!! And don't forget to call on these little gems when required:

1) I chose the wrong gear (.. o. that's a trackie's lament! :rolleyes: )
2) I am still recovering from training hard yesterday (my favourite)
3) I am coming down with an URTI
4) My chain slipped
5) Pulled a pedal
6) Got no sleep last night
7) Must be something I ate at lunch

If you're out there doing it, even seeing D & C grade several more times than you had hoped for, then it's going to make it easier to see them less in the long run (ie you will only improve)

"craigster_jd" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I was pulling out of the harpin in a fairly comfortable position in the
> front 1/3. The pace had shifted up a bit to catch Calvin who'd made a
> jump (what was he doing in C anyway - didn't he win two in a row?). As
> I came out the saddle to push up the hill, I shifted the chain down two
> cogs, and with that it popped off the chainring.

I hope you recover quickly and at the risk of sounding critical, it astounds
me every week at how many people crunch gears as they change down under load
as they come out of the hairpin??? I always shift down a couple of gears as
I approach the corner and then pedal out of the corner with no problems.
This seems a really obvious approach to me but every week I wait for someone
to snap a chain as they try to shift down gears whilst out of the saddle.

My two bobs worth.

Gags

Gags said:
"craigster_jd" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I was pulling out of the harpin in a fairly comfortable position in the
> front 1/3. The pace had shifted up a bit to catch Calvin who'd made a
> jump (what was he doing in C anyway - didn't he win two in a row?). As
> I came out the saddle to push up the hill, I shifted the chain down two
> cogs, and with that it popped off the chainring.

I hope you recover quickly and at the risk of sounding critical, it astounds
me every week at how many people crunch gears as they change down under load
as they come out of the hairpin??? I always shift down a couple of gears as
I approach the corner and then pedal out of the corner with no problems.
This seems a really obvious approach to me but every week I wait for someone to snap a chain as they try to shift down gears whilst out of the saddle.
That's exactly what I did and always do. Problem was, I had overshifted coming into the corner, so when I tried to keep pace with the leaders up the hill, my cadence was too high so I moved the chain to the smaller cog. I would have thought that when in the large chainring as I was, this is LESS likely to pop the chain off the front, since the rear of the chain is moving away from the wheel and chainline is straightening.
Unfortunately this wasn't the case. Lesson learned.