LBS tryout rules

crankitfast

Aug 24, 2008
I've been on a unit I got when I was 16 (40 now) and NEVER liked it much. My bike is touring geometry but yrs back I put on new wheels, crankset, and run a corncob freewheel and that is what I've had to "like" for quite some time. But I don't like it's flex/handling/descending, etc.

I'm 6'1-6'2", 36" inseam, 195lbs.

I've been researching tons on models of interest to me & visited LBS Saturday. Rode a couple of models around the parking lots.

I asked them about tryout of a few miles w/ my shoes, etc and the guy said they like to keep tryouts less than a mile so the bike can still be sold as "new". He said I could try it further next time, but had to keep it in a mile or so. Say what??? Don't shops have demo models? This shop did not.

I am in no way going to buy a bike (considering: Allez Elite/CAAD9-5/Synapse, etc) without trying it out further than that....or doing a mile loop 10 times! I sort of know what I don't like but not sure what I really "do" like. Not really in favor of full carbon frames, but the Spec Roubaix I road Saturday seemed nice....he let me try it just to see how carbon feels...and I road a Spec alum 2008 model to compare as well.

I realize that these frames will be tons diff than what I am on right now, and although I want responsiveness, I am not looking for crazyness, either. I want to be able to ride the thing hard and see how it responds. I dont see how I can come to a conclusion w/out trying a bike out for a bit. I did call a couple of other shops and the response was sort of "trying it out in the parking lot or maybe down the road just a little bit". :mad:

Your thoughts and experiences w/ your LBS are appreciated.

Also, what discounts off list do you typically enjoy? Is it more of a take-it-or-leave-it pricing? I might want to change the stock wheels, so not sure on that direction, either.

My LBS gave me similar grief, so I purchased online (not like I could try out the bikes anyway.)

As for discounts, I've always recieved "take it or leave it" pricing from my LBS. I swear, were it not for internet deals and tutorials, I'd never be able to afford cycling as a hobby :|

Yeah, I've bought online as well to cut costs, but I do believe in the value a LBS offers and so that is why I want to have a fully fitted bike from a good shop. I know that my current bike does not fit me well because I am not comfortable on it. But what value is in a fully fitted bike if the performance does not match my intended purpose? You dont buy a car w/ out driving it and I wont buy a road bike w/ out a tryout.

What do we have to do, have a cyclists "share your bike" tryout day because the LBS does not allow much test riding? I suppose they'd buy the bike back within 30 days, right????? Yeah, right.

If I have to go out of town, I will. I am going to do some more checking, but my first few shop contacts are not acceptable responses.