Least favorite intervals - L3/L4/L5/L6?

tigermilk

Jun 20, 2006
What's your least favorite type of interval to do?

For me it has to be L5. I dread them, especially when done for 5-8 minutes. The first few minutes are cake but as I enter minute 4 things start getting tough. I'm always watching the clock begging for time to go faster. The combined intensity/duration of L5 (110-115%) is just a killer.

I agree if I am feeling any less than 100% healthy 5 minutes of L5 will leave me on the floor and the workout is over.

tigermilk said:
What's your least favorite type of interval to do?

For me it has to be L5. I dread them, especially when done for 5-8 minutes. The first few minutes are cake but as I enter minute 4 things start getting tough. I'm always watching the clock begging for time to go faster. The combined intensity/duration of L5 (110-115%) is just a killer.

I tend to really get into L3. I can go and go and go with those things for hours at a time. When I start to struggle, it's no longer fun and I usually hang it up right there.

L6 tend to be over quickly so I can live with that. L5 are a bit longer but I manage to do them without too much hesitation. It's the L4, sad to say, that sometimes needs a fair amount coaxing from me at times.

L5 is definitely the most painful for me. Like others said, the combo of high intensity and realtively long duration make L5 workouts really hurt. By the end of the 4th or 5th 5 min interval I'm doing all I can not to collapse onto the ground...and that's when I've still got 1 or 2 more intervals to go.

As for the others, L6 hurts for sure, but the interval is nearly over once the pain really sets in. L4 only hurts when I do it inside or am having a bad day, the rest of the time it's just kind of a dull sensation of hard effort...it can even feel good if I'm having a good day and putting out big numbers. L3 I don't find to be hard at all (although admittedly I very rarely do L3 longer than 60-90min at once), the biggest challenge there is fighting boredom/keeping up focus (and also dealing w/ frozen fingers/toes since I do the most L3 work during the times when the weather's the crappiest).