Local cycle champ of 1880.

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
: In today's local rag is this photo of a 50 mile road race champion of 1880.
: He looks nothing like a present day 24 year old!

Indeed. Chain on that fixie is a bit slack mind :)

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In today's local rag is this photo of a 50 mile road race champion
> of 1880. He looks nothing like a present day 24 year old!

> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zgoole.htm

The bike's far too modern-looking to have been made in 1880 (I'd guess
1900-1910), and a quick Google tells me that the Enfield Manufacturing Co.
Ltd wasn't established until 1893.

Nice picture though, and a fine moustache.

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In today's local rag is this photo of a 50 mile road race champion
>> of 1880. He looks nothing like a present day 24 year old!

>> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zgoole.htm

> The bike's far too modern-looking to have been made in 1880 (I'd guess
> 1900-1910), and a quick Google tells me that the Enfield Manufacturing Co.
> Ltd wasn't established until 1893.

Well, that fits in with his appearance. He looks more like in his late 30s /
early 40s than his twenties.

--
Simon M.

in message <[email protected]>, James Thomson
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In today's local rag is this photo of a 50 mile road race champion
>> of 1880. He looks nothing like a present day 24 year old!

>> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zgoole.htm

> The bike's far too modern-looking to have been made in 1880 (I'd guess
> 1900-1910), and a quick Google tells me that the Enfield Manufacturing
> Co. Ltd wasn't established until 1893.

Does he have very short legs, very long cranks, or is that seat just
_w_a_y_ too low for him?

;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
;; LISP as to make no difference.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Does he have very short legs, very long cranks, or is that seat just
> _w_a_y_ too low for him?

I think his saddle height's probably OK. He's wearing a voluminous
jacket which is hiding the saddle and exaggerating the bend of his leg.
His right leg is fully extended and it's hard to tell but it may just be
the tips of his toes resting on the ground.

He also seems to have quite a big chainring on there and possibly long
cranks to compensate. This would increase the bend in his knee at the
top of the stroke.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells