local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers

"Simm Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I purchased an electrical wire stripper years ago. With this, I snip off
the
> needle from the syringe and discard the syringe normally. I use a large prescription bottle to
> save the needles in, and after a year, I wrap them
up and
> toss them out. I haven't had any trouble, especially after a refuse man happened to see a syringe,
> and took the cap off of it, and found it
useless.

He was probably ****** off that it was needleless:)

Beav

B-D makes a needle clip. I think it's called a safety clip? It's about 1 inch wide and three inches
long. You just insert the needle, push down on it and it clips the needle and stores it safely. It
holds alot. When my son was on MDI we used one for many months and he was on 5+ shots a day. We also
used it with the pen needles. No body ever told us there was such a thing at time of diagnoses. When
another local boy started on the pump his mom gave two to us. When an adult friend was dianosed last
year I went to the pharmacy to get one for them. I had to order it through the pharmacist. It was
under 5 dollars. Samsmom

"Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers for recycling of needles etc. Any
> suggestions?
> --
> http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/

I was told by a nurse I could break the needle off and put them in a coke bottle and throw them
away in the garbage. I bend the needle 180 degrees toward the plunger and put the cap back on. If
anyone finds the syringe(s) and bends the needle back to use the syringe the needle will break
off.....try it.

--
Menthu

"mike gray, CID" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>
> > "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> My local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers for
recycling
> >> of needles etc. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Shove 'em in the bin. If you're REALLY picky about these things, shove
'em
> > in an empty tin and THEN shove 'em in the bin.
> >
> > It's what I've done for 16 years
>
> Aren't you worried that the rats at the dump may accidently stick themselves and catch diabetes?
> Then multiply and invade the town you live in, biting children in their sleep? Spreading diabetes
> to every corner of the shire, destroying social order, creating havoc, and toppling the crown?
> Easing an invasion of godless heathens from the east who will slaughter yer parents and rape yer
> daughters?
>
> Here in the US we just save them up 'til October and give em to the kids at Halloween.

You be surprised where the junkies get their needles.....yes they go to the garbage dump.

My spouse's boss (nurse) told me this one....was hard to believe.

--
Menthu

Menthu wrote:

> You be surprised where the junkies get their needles.....yes they go to the garbage dump.
>
> My spouse's boss (nurse) told me this one....was hard to believe.

Now, wait a minute. You can buy em at WalMart new for about twenty cents each and get five uses out
of em. Or get em from yer local public health office for nothing.

No one who can afford a drug habit is going to schlepp around garbage dumps on the extremely rare
chance of finding a used needle.

Here's twenty bucks for a fix. Now I gotta hike to the local landfill, climb the barbwire fence, and
spend the night looking for a needle in a garbage dump. Sure.

"Menthu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers for recycling of needles etc. Any
> > suggestions?
> > --
> > http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/
>
> I was told by a nurse I could break the needle off and put them in a coke bottle and throw them
> away in the garbage. I bend the needle 180 degrees toward the plunger and put the cap back on. If
> anyone finds the
syringe(s)
> and bends the needle back to use the syringe the needle will break off.....try it.

If anyone finds any of my ditched syringes, they're more than welcome to use 'em.

Don't make it hard for the junkies, after all, they've taken the trouble to get to the dump for
their supplies, and here you are RUINING their chances of a cheap fix

Not a nice thing to do IMO.

Beav

"Menthu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "mike gray, CID" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yFhXb.16548$hR.489817@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > Beav wrote:
> >
> > > "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> recycling
> > >
> > > Shove 'em in the bin. If you're REALLY picky about these things, shove
> 'em
> > > in an empty tin and THEN shove 'em in the bin.
> > >
> > > It's what I've done for 16 years
> >
> > Aren't you worried that the rats at the dump may accidently stick themselves and catch diabetes?
> > Then multiply and invade the town you live in, biting children in their sleep? Spreading
> > diabetes to every corner of the shire, destroying social order, creating havoc, and toppling the
> > crown? Easing an invasion of godless heathens from the east who will slaughter yer parents and
> > rape yer daughters?
> >
> > Here in the US we just save them up 'til October and give em to the kids at Halloween.
>

> You be surprised where the junkies get their needles.....yes they go to
the
> garbage dump.
>
> My spouse's boss (nurse) told me this one....was hard to believe.

But you believed it? Amazing. A junkie only has to walk into ANY doctor and tell the staff he/she
needs syringes and they'll fall over themselves to GIVE them away.

They'd MUCH rather do that than have to treat anyone for some grunge ridden disease caused by using
a neelde that's been Christ knows where. Your nursey pal is either stupid or REALLY stupid if she
believes they do that.

Anyway, IF they did that, how on earth is it that we can fall over mountains fof needles in known
"junkie spots"? Surely they nly need bend down and pick one of THOSE up rather than traipse over to
the dump in the hope tat they'll find one or two lying around. It's a bit like walking out of a
restaurant and checking the bins at the back for food.

Don't be so gullible.

Beav

"Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yNRXb.6384$vo1.3269@newsfep4-
> winn.server.ntli.net...
> >
> > "t2_lurking" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> > > Com'on Beav he's trying to do the right thing.
> >
> > Yeah, but when he's arsed about by the hospital, it's time to do the ordinary thing, which is
> > what most people do. shove 'em in the trash.
Some
> > put them in a bottle or a can first and some don't, but that's where
they
> > ALL end up (even those in "real" sharps bins from the hospital. They all
> end
> > up at he same landfill sites.
> >
> > > I just put 'em in a soda can. I know there has...has to be worse
things
> in
> > > the trash.
> >
> > I would imagine there's worse things in the street too.
> >
> > Beav
> >

> I was walking near our lakefront one day and there was an entire bag of syringes lying by the
> sidewalk in front of some very exclusive condos. I went in and called the manager of the complex
> and told him. Don't what happened to them but I wasn't going to mess with them.

And you can bet your back teeth they weren't from a diabetic.

I wouldn't touch 'em either, not even with a ten foot barge pole. We have trash guys for that:)

Beav

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:31:51 -0000, "Beav"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I was walking near our lakefront one day and there was an entire bag of syringes lying by the
>> sidewalk in front of some very exclusive condos. I went in and called the manager of the complex
>> and told him. Don't what happened to them but I wasn't going to mess with them.
>
>And you can bet your back teeth they weren't from a diabetic.
>
>I wouldn't touch 'em either, not even with a ten foot barge pole. We have trash guys for that:)
>

>Beav

I thought they were dust-bin-men over there. Don't they find it awkward picking up syringes with
those bargepoles?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

The original reason for this "sharps" container business, is for hospitals. Doctors and nurses don't
re-cap their syringes. I would triple the likelihood of them poking themselves. Therefore they are
dangerous.

Since I cap my spikes - and my lancets - I don't see how they can be any more dangerous than the
razors I regularly throw away. Theoretically a razor can transmit bodily fluids too.

Jon

Jon Kaplan <[email protected]> wrote on Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:24:15
GMT:
> The original reason for this "sharps" container business, is for hospitals. Doctors and nurses
> don't re-cap their syringes.

Arrogant idiots.

> I would triple the likelihood of them poking themselves. Therefore they are dangerous.

Are you talking about the syringes here or the doctors and nurses? ;-)

> Since I cap my spikes - and my lancets - I don't see how they can be any more dangerous than the
> razors I regularly throw away. Theoretically a razor can transmit bodily fluids too.

Perhaps it's worth noting that when disposable syringes first became popular (early 1980s?), their
safety caps _wouldn't_ clip back onto them. I'm not quite sure why, but none of the hypotheses I
came up with was creditable to the manufacturers.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany) Email: [email protected]; to decode, wherever there is a repeated
letter (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

"Jon Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The original reason for this "sharps" container business, is for
hospitals.
> Doctors and nurses don't re-cap their syringes. I would triple the likelihood of them poking
> themselves. Therefore they are dangerous.

I've JUST got back from th' hospital where I had two WONDERFUL cortisone

underling or a trainee) re-capped BOTH syringes before we left the room. I thought he was EXCELLNT
at his job and he could easily have left the mopping up to the trainee who was with us, but he
didn't. He DID tell him to always re-cap the needles though.

> Since I cap my spikes - and my lancets - I don't see how they can be any more dangerous than the
> razors I regularly throw away.

Nor can I Jon, and my needles have always gone the way of all my used stuff. In the bin

Theoretically a
> razor can transmit bodily fluids too.

And I wonder what bodily fluids a needle can transmit when it's never pulled anything OUT of the
body? Positive pressure will stop "backflow" every time and I don't EVER pull back on a syringe.

Beav

Alan Mackenzie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Perhaps it's worth noting that when disposable syringes first became popular (early 1980s?), their
> safety caps _wouldn't_ clip back onto them. I'm not quite sure why, but none of the hypotheses I
> came up with was creditable to the manufacturers.

Hi Alan,

FWIW, here in the US I have been diabetic since the '60s, and all the syringes I ever used were
disposable with caps that attached right back on the ends of the syringes. I don't use them any
longer, as I am pumping now. :)

Randy

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:31:51 -0000, "Beav" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I was walking near our lakefront one day and there was an entire bag of syringes lying by the
> >> sidewalk in front of some very exclusive condos.
> >> went in and called the manager of the complex and told him. Don't what happened to them but I
> >> wasn't going to mess with them.
> >
> >And you can bet your back teeth they weren't from a diabetic.
> >
> >I wouldn't touch 'em either, not even with a ten foot barge pole. We have trash guys for that:)
> >

> >Beav
> >

> I thought they were dust-bin-men over there.

They used to be, but now I think they're called "Refuse Recycling Operatives" or some other shite PC
combination of 3 words:) And if I'd SAID "bin men" it's a guarantee that an American wouldn't know
of what I spoketh:)

Don't they find it awkward
> picking up syringes with those bargepoles?

Very, but they don't pick 'em up with the poles, they just "touch" 'em:)

Beav

Marshall wrote:
> My local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers for recycling of needles etc. Any
> suggestions?

Just a couple of thoughts on this subject....

1) Hospital and health personnel are taught (by OSHA guidelines), to never recap a needle, as this
poses a greater risk of sticking oneself than putting it directly into a sharps container. New
OSHA regulations (the last 3-4 months) now require the use of self capping needles, which will be
capped immediately after the injection. Note, even if required to recap the old style needles,
they were taught to use a one handed maneuver to do so.

2) If you wish to do the PC thing and dispose of needles/syringes in a safe manner, you purchase a
mail-back sharps container, which after it is closed is mailed back to the manufacturer, who then
disposes of it. I found one example at www.sharpsdisposal.com; however, I know that stericycle
and others also perform this service. The list price at that sight is $40 / one gallon container,
which seems a little high, but probably ok since it includes 2-way shipping.

Dan Rubin

If you re-cap the needle, then bend it, it will snap right off.

Menthu wrote:

> "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>My local hospital is no longer accepting sharps containers for recycling of needles etc. Any
>>suggestions?
>>--
>>http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/
>

> I was told by a nurse I could break the needle off and put them in a coke bottle and throw them
> away in the garbage. I bend the needle 180 degrees toward the plunger and put the cap back on. If
> anyone finds the syringe(s) and bends the needle back to use the syringe the needle will break
> off.....try it.
>
> --
> Menthu

The consultant's advice to the trainee goes against current practice, unless he was being advised to
use the one-handed method. Anything in contact with mucous membranes or a break in the skin barrier
has the potential of being contaminated with harmful body fluids. Needles DO pull body fluids out,
but they're microscopic. Remember microbes? If you work daily in an environment that puts you at
risk, you are wise to use the recommended practices.

Concerning insulin needles, syringes & lancets--you can choose to dispose of them responsibly or
not. It's up to you, I guess.

Besides, what about the consultant led you to believe that he's EXCELLENT at his job? Is it because
he can give an injection, is friendly, "seems" knowledgeable? I once knew a surgeon who had
wonderful bedside manner, and his patients just loved him, but he was extremely dangerous in surgery--
to the point that they took away his privileges. Just because the consultant seemed excellent to you
doesn't mean much. His supervisor would have better knowledge.

Beav wrote:

> "Jon Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:40316D3F.2F945997@the-
> kaplansNOSPAM.com...
>
>>The original reason for this "sharps" container business, is for
>
> hospitals.
>
>>Doctors and nurses don't re-cap their syringes. I would triple the likelihood of them poking
>>themselves. Therefore they are dangerous.
>

> I've JUST got back from th' hospital where I had two WONDERFUL cortisone

> underling or a trainee) re-capped BOTH syringes before we left the room. I thought he was EXCELLNT
> at his job and he could easily have left the mopping up to the trainee who was with us, but he
> didn't. He DID tell him to always re-cap the needles though.
>
>>Since I cap my spikes - and my lancets - I don't see how they can be any more dangerous than the
>>razors I regularly throw away.
>

> Nor can I Jon, and my needles have always gone the way of all my used stuff. In the bin
>
> Theoretically a
>
>>razor can transmit bodily fluids too.
>

> And I wonder what bodily fluids a needle can transmit when it's never pulled anything OUT of the
> body? Positive pressure will stop "backflow" every time and I don't EVER pull back on a syringe.
>
> Beav

"luv2pump" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The consultant's advice to the trainee goes against current practice, unless he was being advised
> to use the one-handed method.

The consultant didn't use the one handed method. He just picked up the syringe and then the needle
sleeve and slipped it baclk on, then he did the other. Not exactly a major operation. He wasn't
wearing gloves either. Not for any part of the procedure.

Anything in
> contact with mucous membranes or a break in the skin barrier has the potential of being
> contaminated with harmful body fluids. Needles DO pull body fluids out, but they're microscopic.
> Remember microbes?

Oh yes, I actually think I AM one :))

If
> you work daily in an environment that puts you at risk, you are wise to use the recommended
> practices.

I don't know what they are at this hospital, but if they mean being extra careful, they're not
following any.

> Concerning insulin needles, syringes & lancets--you can choose to dispose of them responsibly or
> not. It's up to you, I guess.

I choose to cap the needles and but them where they belong. In the bin along with all the other
****. As it happens, I was told that this was perfectly acceptable.

> Besides, what about the consultant led you to believe that he's EXCELLENT at his job? Is it
> because he can give an injection, is friendly, "seems" knowledgeable?

close on an hour while we went through EVERY possible reason for the pain I'm having. We (both)
examined the X-rays until he pointed out where the problem was, how he was going to attack the
situation and what I should expect while he was. He then did exactly as he said he would and all the
time he was showing the newbie. Doctors generally have a habit of holding back while they TRY to
appear superior, this one didn't.

btw, you don't get to be a consultant unless you know your stuff.

I once knew a surgeon who had
> wonderful bedside manner, and his patients just loved him, but he was extremely dangerous in surgery--
> to the point that they took away his privileges.

is. And he wasn't even a friendly doc.

Just because the consultant seemed excellent to you doesn't
> mean much. His supervisor would have better knowledge.

Seeing as it's HIS clinic, he IS the supervisor, and after having this problem for the last 6 months
and going to numerous other "doctors" and getting no-where (including having the shots done
before!!), I can now use my arm like I could 7 months ago. So it "seems" that he may ACTUALLY know
what he's doing. Or maybe that goes against your grain too?

Beav