London -> Southend

elyob

Guest
Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.

I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
far.

Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the return
route?

Thanks

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
> skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.
>
> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
> far.
>
> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the return
> route?
>
> Thanks

I'm planning to do it, I'm sure the event will still be on. I'm keen to
ride back too, maybe we can cycle together? I plan to be at the start
before 07.30, I think that's the earliest supposedly, though I need to enter
on the day.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
>> skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.
>>
>> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>> far.
>>
>> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>> return route?
>>
>> Thanks

> I'm planning to do it, I'm sure the event will still be on. I'm keen to
> ride back too, maybe we can cycle together? I plan to be at the start
> before 07.30, I think that's the earliest supposedly, though I need to
> enter on the day.

I will need to enter as well. Not sure what time I'm starting as I need to
the start from Surbiton. Was thinking that I could cycle to the start in an
hour from here. Which means an early start!

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
>>> skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.
>>>
>>> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything
>>> so far.
>>>
>>> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>>> return route?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> I'm planning to do it, I'm sure the event will still be on. I'm keen to
>> ride back too, maybe we can cycle together? I plan to be at the start
>> before 07.30, I think that's the earliest supposedly, though I need to
>> enter on the day.

> I will need to enter as well. Not sure what time I'm starting as I need to
> the start from Surbiton. Was thinking that I could cycle to the start in
> an hour from here. Which means an early start!

The trains are running at 6.30, so may just jump on to Waterloo and start
from there.

I've also dropped you an email to your gmail account.

Cheers

Nick

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
> far.
>
> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the return
> route?

Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does anyone
know if there's much climbing on the way?

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>> far.
>>
>> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>> return route?

> Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does
> anyone know if there's much climbing on the way?

Failing a response here, we can just cycle head first back along the BHF
route ;)

elyob wrote:
> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>>>far.
>>>
>>>Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>>>return route?

>>Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does
>>anyone know if there's much climbing on the way?

Many years since I rode over there but going over the Langdon Hills
would make it a bit more interesting.
All the best
Dan Gregoru

elyob wrote:
> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>>>far.
>>>
>>>Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>>>return route?

>>Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does
>>anyone know if there's much climbing on the way?

> Failing a response here, we can just cycle head first back along the BHF
> route ;)

That's pretty much what I will be doing, but may deviate into Basildon
and come home through Bulphan on my normal commute route. No hills to
speak of, pretty easy ride.

I'll be one of a group of six on road bikes, club kit is blue with a
yellow cross. Jump on if you want a tow...but give me a shout either
way! Should be a good day. Cambridge soon!

:)

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

> Many years since I rode over there but going over the Langdon Hills
> would make it a bit more interesting.
> All the best
> Dan Gregoru

That's part of my commute too...and the only reason I can't ride a fixie!

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does
>>>anyone know if there's much climbing on the way?

>> Failing a response here, we can just cycle head first back along the BHF
>> route ;)
>>

> That's pretty much what I will be doing, but may deviate into Basildon and
> come home through Bulphan on my normal commute route. No hills to speak
> of, pretty easy ride.
>
> I'll be one of a group of six on road bikes, club kit is blue with a
> yellow cross. Jump on if you want a tow...but give me a shout either way!
> Should be a good day. Cambridge soon!
>
> :)

Am looking forward to it. My first adult road bike turned up today. First
trip was to the LBS and buy some extras and get some advice. You can't buy
everything off the internet and then ask the LBS for help!

Well, it was an experience. I did a few laps of the underground carpark.
Yup, it's the right size (thanks Wiggle). I then went up and down the road a
couple of times. Okay, not fallen off yet.

Okay, get rid of the energy built up from waiting for a bike in the post.
Off to Richmond Park.

Normally I ride around the Tamsin trail, but today is different. No trail
paths for me. I'm now officially a roadie. Attack first hill, bugger if I
can figure out the gears. Well, it's not natural yet. The RHS brake lever is
going down, the LHS is going up. Okay, I got that. Where are the brakes?
Emergency stops on road bikes are far more difficult than MTB's. Something I
will have to perfect I guess.

Normally my rides are uninteresting. Today I had 3 peds, and one car pull
out. Is this something to do with less profile and more speed. I guess it
is.

Richmond Park. Attack Dark Hill. Well, attack and then just settle back and
breeze up it. (Yes, I got a sweat on, it wasn't just a jaunt in the park ..
oh wait).

Down the other side.Woah this bike is twitchy!

Next a gradual climb from Robin Hood to Roehampton gate. Got overtaken by a
lycra roadie. Gutted. Make mental note to put more effort in.

Roehampton Gate turn left. Overtake a MTB. Forget all mental notes, all good
again!

Anyway, long story short. Had a blast. As I said to a friend this evening ..
cycling became a bit of a chore when I used the same bike for every journey,
and just needed a new toy. I think a road bike was just the tonic!

My last road bike was a Raleigh Ace when I was 10yo. I won't be doing
skidding competitions on road tyres anymore!

:)

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>> far.
>>
>> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>> return route?

> Any suggestions on a good route back, or roads to avoid? Also, does
> anyone know if there's much climbing on the way?

The answer would be hardly any hills. :)

London-Southend Ride Report
Sunday 10th July.

Well that was a load of fun! I woke up a tad too early at 04:45, and thus
easily made the planned 07.30 start at Victoria Park, an easy and slow 20km
cycle from my house. Going through the Greenwich foot tunnel was a bit of a
disappointment, the lifts weren't working. Carrying my 15kg recumbent, plus
about 10kg of rack bag down one side and back up the other was a bit overly
energetic I thought.

In the Tunnel I met another cyclist going on the ride, and we ambled across
to Victoria Park together. In the park we had a blasted greyhound run into
us. The poor dog took itself out on my left pedal, and unfortunately piled
into the other cyclist's rear wheel and buckled it. Nice start for him, he
only got his bike the day before. Dr. Bike trued it up reasonably well in a
few minutes, though I think some more serious fettling will be in order for
him.

We departed the park at about 07.40, and the photographer was on me like a
rash, me apparently being the first recumbent rider of the day. Oh and I
nearly forgot my suntan lotion, lucky there as by the end of the day I was
only a little toasted, and that would have been serious sunburn otherwise.

I'd been quite prepared to take it easy all along since I'd the plan of
riding back home from Southend, but it turned into a bit of a race thing.
Although I was pushing, I didn't push too hard as I didn't want to destroy
myself only to have to resort to phoning the missus to come and collect me.

One thing that got me was all the Bike Events signs telling cyclists to keep
left, and to ride single file. Sure, I can understand Bike Events perhaps
wanting to reduce car users' frustration about cyclists, but it seems to me
to be a little too submissive to car culture. There were a number of places
where a keep left instruction came just before some road feature that made
me want to stay well out in the middle of the lane for my own safety.

Nearly fell off too, I came into one corner a little too hot, and heeled the
bike over to make it round, only I forgot about the twitchy handling of the
Hurricane. There's a certain part of the envelope where at medium speeds
and higher lean angles the steering is very neutral, and the bike just wants
to carry on leaning more, much more than you might expect. Fortunately the
twitchy handling also means I could flick the bike back up more upright and
save myself from the fall. It was exciting enough to get a loud gasp from
the cyclists I'd just passed, and a comment on how I'd nearly lost it.

It was quite nice to be amongst the earliest cyclists to arrive in Southend,
got a good cheer from the crowd thanks to riding a dodgy bicycle, and then
had to refuse the medal since I hadn't registered for the ride. I figure
I'll give my donation and an extra £15 to cover the entry fee straight to
the charity rather than the ride organisers.

Relaxing in Priory park and chatting to everyone was good fun, spent a good
hour and a half there and then rode back with another gentleman at a
somewhat more leisurely pace. He knew the area well and took us back into
London via his house for a pit stop and cuppa tea. :) on the tea, but a bit
stressed on the A127 all the way into London.

We were going mostly downwind, so maintained a good pace. I was feeling a
little bad since I couldn't give him a pull, but at least there wasn't much
need with cycling downwind. Equally I couldn't find much draft off the
upwrongs.

The funniest moment of the day was in London, a dude pulled up next to us at
some traffic lights and said he'd just been out for a 20 mile training ride
and would we like a little race? When he asked us how far we'd been, his
jaw just dropped, he'd obviously never realised that 100 miles isn't a
particularly long bike ride. And yes, we dropped him easily.

In the end my newly built rear wheel performed admirably, and the 12-26
cassette was more than adequate (it replaced an 11-32), and it seems to
still be true, though I haven't taken a more careful look yet. I do need to
step up to a 65 tooth chainring, I'm spinning at roughly 140rpm at 55km/hr,
and there were loads of times where I could have gone faster if I'd been
able to pile the power on.

181.5km at an average 25.0 km/hour is both the furthest and fastest ride
I've done yet so I'm well chuffed. Still feeling very humbled by many more
serious cyclists of course, but this is really about my own pleasure and
performance improvements.

The actual London-Southend bit was an elapsed 3 hours 10 minutes, or just
over 30 km/hour average. I didn't take any breaks, just a short 30 seconds
stop to reload with sports drinks (lots of this is mostly what kept my rack
back so heavy). I was meant to meet up with Elyob, but in the end he got
delayed at the start and we didn't manage it. Pity, but maybe next ride!

So next year I'll have to try and destroy that 3 hour barrier, I only wish
I'd realised how close it would be.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> London-Southend Ride Report
> Sunday 10th July.

<snip>

> The actual London-Southend bit was an elapsed 3 hours 10 minutes, or just
> over 30 km/hour average. I didn't take any breaks, just a short 30
> seconds stop to reload with sports drinks (lots of this is mostly what
> kept my rack back so heavy). I was meant to meet up with Elyob, but in
> the end he got delayed at the start and we didn't manage it. Pity, but
> maybe next ride!

Good that you had a good ride. I took the ride at a slightly more leisurely
pace. I think it took about 4 hours, but I made stops on the way.

Forgot the suncream myself, and was pretty hot when I arrived in Southend,
so decided to get the train back rather than risk any further damage!

So, ended up doing about 70 miles on the day. I felt I wasn't in my best
shape on the day, so will have to put in some training over the next few
weeks.

Look forward to the next one!

:)

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
> skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.
>
> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
> far.
>
> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the return
> route?

Here's some rubbishy photos taken at the start, middle and end. MSA, is that
one of your group in # 851?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Any idea whether this will still be on? I just got a message from the
>> skating lot in London, and they've cancelled all their weekend events.
>>
>> I presume that it will be on, but the BHF website doesn't say anything so
>> far.
>>
>> Also, I'm looking at cycling there and back. Any suggestions on the
>> return route?

> Here's some rubbishy photos taken at the start, middle and end. MSA, is
> that one of your group in # 851?

Suppose you'll all be wanting a link now?!

http://fishpluschips.com/londontosouthend/

elyob wrote:

>>Here's some rubbishy photos taken at the start, middle and end. MSA, is
>>that one of your group in # 851?

Sure is, I think I was buying the teas at the time! You can see my bike
too, 3rd from the front..so much better than laying them on the ground eh!

My ride report:

Rode to Southend, had 2 slices of Pizza in Priory park, turned around
and rode home. Applied aftersun to burnt legs and fell asleep. Woke up,
showered, had dinner, watched taped TdF, went to bed. Got up 5am this
morning and cycled the 24 miles to work with 'heavy legs'.

Great day all round.

Cambridge soon. See you there.

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>
>>>Here's some rubbishy photos taken at the start, middle and end. MSA, is
>>>that one of your group in # 851?

> Sure is, I think I was buying the teas at the time! You can see my bike
> too, 3rd from the front..so much better than laying them on the ground eh!
>
> My ride report:
>
> Rode to Southend, had 2 slices of Pizza in Priory park, turned around and
> rode home. Applied aftersun to burnt legs and fell asleep. Woke up,
> showered, had dinner, watched taped TdF, went to bed. Got up 5am this
> morning and cycled the 24 miles to work with 'heavy legs'.
>
> Great day all round.
>
> Cambridge soon. See you there.

I had you all go pass me before that stop. I managed to sit on the back
wheel for a mile or so, but the pace was a bit too quick for me! (My excuse
was that I was trying to conserve energy!)

Things I've learnt. Bring suncream. Eat more snacks on the way .. two
breakfast bars in total is not enough for London to Southend! Practice more
in the meantime!

elyob wrote:
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>elyob wrote:
>>

> I had you all go pass me before that stop. I managed to sit on the back
> wheel for a mile or so, but the pace was a bit too quick for me! (My excuse
> was that I was trying to conserve energy!)
>
> Things I've learnt. Bring suncream. Eat more snacks on the way .. two
> breakfast bars in total is not enough for London to Southend! Practice more
> in the meantime!

Ha, sorry about that!

Had a fantastic trip back by the way, averaged 37kph for the 50k
shortcut trip back to my house...marvellous things tail winds!
If your doing Cambridge, jump on the back again...this time give me a
shout...I'll be the one on the front :)

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>elyob wrote:
>>>

>> I had you all go pass me before that stop. I managed to sit on the back
>> wheel for a mile or so, but the pace was a bit too quick for me! (My
>> excuse was that I was trying to conserve energy!)
>>
>> Things I've learnt. Bring suncream. Eat more snacks on the way .. two
>> breakfast bars in total is not enough for London to Southend! Practice
>> more in the meantime!

> Ha, sorry about that!
>
> Had a fantastic trip back by the way, averaged 37kph for the 50k shortcut
> trip back to my house...marvellous things tail winds!
> If your doing Cambridge, jump on the back again...this time give me a
> shout...I'll be the one on the front :)

Just for anyone else who is reading this thread. MTB meets Roadie.

It's a different game, but managed to meet a few roadies for the first ever
time this weekend. I decided to play it quiet and stop when I wanted rather
than try and keep up!

Maybe it's a little early to say I'm a roadie yet, but I had fun pulling
away from lights etc ... boy do these things move!

Cambridge is probably out, as it's a nightmare to get to. (Hackney was less
of a pain than I'd imagined, despite running late).

Anyway, if ever Richmond way ... let me know.

Nick