rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Long distance touring with bicycles??

Started by lpounds · · Last activity · 19 posts · 505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
1 February 2008
Last activity
3 February 2008
Original author
lpounds
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Could any of you cokeurs comment on riding with bikes on a 36? I know
    the average speed and everything but I want some first hand experience.
    I have no friends that unicycle but I do have several friends that are
    into cycle touring.. is this plausible If I am on my unicycle?

    Were you able to keep up?
    Who was faster up hills?
    What kind of bike were they riding?

    --
    lpounds

    Levi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lpounds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. lpounds said:

    Could any of you cokeurs comment on riding with bikes on a 36? I know
    the average speed and everything but I want some first hand experience.
    I have no friends that unicycle but I do have several friends that are
    into cycle touring.. is this plausible If I am on my unicycle?

    Were you able to keep up?
    Who was faster up hills?
    What kind of bike were they riding?

    Well I ride my 36er (114mm cranks) on the beach bike path a lot, and
    routinely pass inline skaters and ppl on *most* bikes. I can easily
    maintain 14-15 mph, but the serious guys on road racing bikes leave me
    in the dust! They hit upwards of 30 mph so there's no way to keep up
    with them.

    --
    MuniAddict

    My Videos:

    'http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
    ' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Since I have nobody to uni with, I'll train along side some bicycle
    friends.

    Also I've never ridden a 36" so I don't know what speed to expect.

    My new uni will be a nimbus 36 with 125 cranks.

    My average riding speed on my 29" in 10km/hr with 125 cranks.

    Will I be able to keep up with bikes who are coasting on their mountain
    bikes?

    --
    legtod2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    legtod2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15732
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Sam Wakling (RedWelly) would be the guy to ask. he rode a Coker (after
    only a couple of weeks practice) from Lands End to John O'Groats with 4
    bikers. I think issue 2 of Uni had the full writeup.

    STM

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. legtod2 said:

    Since I have nobody to uni with, I'll train along side some bicycle
    friends.

    Also I've never ridden a 36" so I don't know what speed to expect.

    My new uni will be a nimbus 36 with 125 cranks.

    My average riding speed on my 29" in 10km/hr with 125 cranks.

    Will I be able to keep up with bikes who are coasting on their mountain
    bikes?

    Are you sure you have got that right? I can average about 10mph (16kph)
    on my 29er with 150s and I hit a max or 13.7mph (22kph) I am pretty
    sure my spedo is set up right, I havnt calabrated it with a GPS yet
    though.

    --
    sp4rky-m4rky

    you may be lucky but you make your own luck
    *)--540 Unispin-'O,*
    my 'Year in vid'
    (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
    learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
    (

    )
    Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. I rode RAGBRAI with my friend (mouse on the forums); we both had N36
    unicycles and rode alongside 10,000 bicyclists last summer. Of course,
    yes they have a slightly higher cruising speed (slight being 5-7 mph
    faster).

    There was a heavy headwind all week, and mouse and I experimented with
    tagging onto the back of a draft line as it passed. Surprisingly, we
    were able to keep up, though it was quite a frantic candence we had to
    maintain in order to do so; but the lessening of wind resistance was
    great.

    Riding with bicyclists can be a lot of fun. Sometimes they slow down
    as they pass you and initiate a conversation. Especially on a long
    distance ride, that conversation is very helpful, as it makes you focus
    on something other than how your legs are feeling and how much farther
    you have to go.

    As for hills, we murdered the bicycles as far as speed goes on the way
    up, but were quickly shown up on the way down.

    It's a great experience. You get to feel especially unique riding with
    a group that knows about cycling but still believes unicycling to be a
    superhero power. It certainly makes for more interesting stock
    comments than those from standard pedestrians and drivers.

    --
    Joseppi

    'Team Freestyle' (http://silentaftermath.com/)

    'Team Roadshow' (http://teamroadshow.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joseppi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14145
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. I ride with bikers quite often. On our tours, like the 'Mediterrean
    Unicycle Tour' (http://www.unitours.org/Unitours/tours/MUT/index.aspx),
    we often have a few people on bikes. It will be the same on the
    upcoming Vietnam Uni Tour. Bikes can generally go faster, that is, if
    you raced yourself, your bike self would beat your uni self. Maybe
    there are some exceptions to this, but it's true in general. On our
    tours, which are on normal roads, the unis are MUCH slower on the
    downhills, slower on the level sections and slower or faster on the
    uphills, depending on the relative speed/skill/fitness/tiredness of the
    riders.

    It would not be very fun for you or your super road bike fanatic friend
    to go out riding together. If you work really hard, you can average
    12-15mph on the Coker but he can average 18-20+ no problem. But it can
    work out great with a slower biker - they will just have a break at the
    bottom while you finish descending that 5 mile long hill. This is
    especially true with my wife who rides a recumbent bike and cruises
    past the hotshot roadies on the downhills (she even has a fairing).

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. For a second I was thinking that you were considering a long distance
    bike tour. I currently have a half baked plan to bike tour from Sask.
    to the Maritimes in August...

    As for riding with bikers probably the best comparison I have
    experienced was when doing the MS Bike tour last September. On average
    I was faster than most of the bikers but I was also in better shape.
    Bikers in similar shape left me in the dust. If your biking friends are
    willing to carry the bulk of your gear it might be a fairly even
    playing field with you being faster on the assents and the loaded bike
    being faster on the descents.

    On the MS bike tour I averaged 19.5km/h including a few km of walking
    off a tweaked knee, riding average was probably around 22km/h. I was
    riding a 36 with 125s.

    Last time I did an actual *bike* tour it was ridiculously miserable out
    and the “gravel” clay dirt roads were extremely soft and
    sticky so we only averaged about 9km/h, but most loaded trips that I
    have done we average 15-20 on trails and 20-25 on road.
    -Edit: after reading Nathan's post I sort of agree. These average
    speeds were for week long bike trips that i take 13-15yr olds on in the
    summer, not elite bikers by any means.-

    I think that the average speeds between a loaded bike and a unloaded
    36er is close enough for a bike/uni touring team to work.

    on a side not: I am thinking it might be time to upgrade to a 'Surly
    big dummy ' (http://www.surlybikes.com/new.html)and retire my old Kona
    frame (with Xtracycle). Just wondering how much it will end up costing.

    --
    saskatchewanian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. The first big cycle tour I did was with 35 bicyclists from Ho Chi Minh
    City in Vietnam to Siem Reap in Cambodia. The tour was pretty flat and
    I was riding a Coker with 125mm cranks. On average we were riding
    60-80km/day and I was usually mid-group. There was a huge range of
    ability in the group, but there was occasion when I was riding with the
    lead riders at 30km/hr. They were just cruising though, I was
    pedalling hard out.

    Most cycle tours are at a pretty leisurely pace. It's not a race is
    it?

    On average if there are hills, you'll probably do better than many of
    the bikers going uphill, but you'll be left in the dust on the
    downhills.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. My 29" has a Vetta cyclometer. Its quite accurate.
    I checked it against measured kilometer distances and stopwatch.

    My high bursts of speed average at 18kph, my lows are 7-9 kph.

    But my comfortable loafing cruising speed is 10kph.

    If I push myself I can easily pick it up to 14kph for 5km stretches.

    --
    legtod2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    legtod2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15732
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Thanks all. This sounds good to me. I plan on doing as many
    unsupported unicycle tours with my two friends as I can every chance I
    get. The good news is they are both in the market for a cheaper
    touring bike (thanks to some convincing) and are also both new to
    cycling as a sport. We will pack light but it won't matter to me
    since they will be carrying all of it!

    www.crazyguyonabike.com has really fortified this love for touring in
    the past few years, but now with the switch to unitouring it is
    tenfold.

    Sask: That surly machine looks ideal for some seriously loaded
    touring. Didn't someone ride around the world on one?

    --
    lpounds

    Levi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lpounds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. nathan said:

    I ride with bikers quite often. On our tours, like the 'Mediterrean
    Unicycle Tour' (http://www.unitours.org/Unitours/tours/MUT/index.aspx),
    we often have a few people on bikes. It will be the same on the
    upcoming Vietnam Uni Tour. Bikes can generally go faster, that is, if
    you raced yourself, your bike self would beat your uni self. Maybe
    there are some exceptions to this, but it's true in general. On our
    tours, which are on normal roads, the unis are MUCH slower on the
    downhills, slower on the level sections and slower or faster on the
    uphills, depending on the relative speed/skill/fitness/tiredness of the
    riders.

    It would not be very fun for you or your super road bike fanatic friend
    to go out riding together. If you work really hard, you can average
    12-15mph on the Coker but he can average 18-20+ no problem. But it can
    work out great with a slower biker - they will just have a break at the
    bottom while you finish descending that 5 mile long hill. This is
    especially true with my wife who rides a recumbent bike and cruises
    past the hotshot roadies on the downhills (she even has a fairing).

    ---Nathan

    Nathan, you're a family of alternative cyclists. I also love recumbent
    touring. I remember cruising down a Nevada mountain somewhere near
    Ely and not having to pedal for at least twenty minutes. An 'Easy
    Rider-esque' chopper group pulled up behind us and once they passed we
    were able to stay in their draft for minutes. Do you also ride a bent?

    --
    lpounds

    Levi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lpounds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. im doing 17 miles tomorrow with some bikes on my 24"
    I am hopping for icky muddy trails so that they will not be able to
    coast and I can keep up. I will let you know how that goes later. I am
    sure that I will be working my butt off.

    --
    sutton629

    'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/sutton629)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sutton629's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. I'm sure there are others in this town, sometimes, but I never see
    them.

    So I race people. I love a race. 5 year olds on trikes are ok until
    they get training wheel bikes, and pull away from me on the 20.

    On the 24 I would often pass slow joggers, then they would often pass
    me back.

    On the 36 I was fast that day. And a 30ish girl with the look of an
    average pickings, speed wise, was turning to the right ahead on one of
    my favorite roads. I told her we were racing, and I took a bit of time
    turning up sidewalks, cross the street, etc, while she went more
    straight. I didn't want to win to quick, I rode the course at first as
    I always did.

    After a few minutes she had gapped me bad. I really knucked down and
    tried to reach a higher level. I was flying.

    After a bit of curves, I lost sight of her for a bit, but caught sight
    on the long straight. She gapped me 200 yards in about a mile.

    I think I'm a good enough 36 rider to take a long tour on sorta smooth
    roads.

    Speed wise, my normal cruise speed is half that of "lazy local bike
    riders".

    I think my 36 Radial with 140 cranks is in excellent rolling shape. I
    keep getting smoother and faster. But here in flat town, I have some
    doubts that I can beat runners, never mind bike riders.

    So sure, a 36 rider can tour with bike riders, but only if they
    consciously wait for the uni rider IMHO. Unless you are on some super
    guni, and are a really really top uni rider.

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. lpounds said:

    Nathan, you're a family of alternative cyclists. I also love recumbent
    touring. I remember cruising down a Nevada mountain somewhere near
    Ely and not having to pedal for at least twenty minutes. An 'Easy
    Rider-esque' chopper group pulled up behind us and once they passed we
    were able to stay in their draft for minutes. Do you also ride a bent?

    My wife rides an Easy Racer Fold Rush, and for the Mediterranean Uni
    Tour she took a Bike Friday SatRDay (foldable recumbent). She gave that
    back and is just putting together a Lightning P38 now. I haven't done
    much recumbent riding or really any biking lately other that a couple
    of long MTB rides. Just can't ride anything other than Uni!

    http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/671341#160593361
    and
    http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/671341#160391411

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. semach.the.monkey said:

    Sam Wakling (RedWelly) would be the guy to ask. he rode a Coker (after
    only a couple of weeks practice) from Lands End to John O'Groats with 4
    bikers. I think issue 2 of Uni had the full writeup.
    STM

    Yes, if you are a confident rider you could definitely tour with
    friendly bike riders. I planned this End to End tour of the UK (1000
    miles, 23 days) for me and three bike friends while I had a 29er, and
    got a 36er less than two weeks before it started. Being unsupported
    meant that the three bikes had panniers with most of my stuff too,
    which helps to keep their speed down. We averaged about 11mph most
    days, cruising at 12-15mph much of the time. As others have said,
    uphill a uni will often go faster than loaded bikes; going downhill
    they'll get away however fast you can spin.

    The main thing is to have biker friends who like taking things easy and
    cruising along. If they're relaxed you can all have a good time.

    Sam

    --
    redwelly
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. Wow that sounds like a cool tour. I need to get that issue.

    --
    lpounds

    Levi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lpounds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. Joseppi said:


    It's a great experience. You get to feel especially unique riding with
    a group that knows about cycling but still believes unicycling to be a
    superhero power. It certainly makes for more interesting stock
    comments than those from standard pedestrians and drivers.

    Despite seeing it several times now, I still believe unicycling RAGBRAI
    requires super powers.

    --
    Seager

    'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
    RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. i know i'm coming to this discussion a little late, but having ridden
    thousands of miles with a bicyclist, i'd have to say that it's just not
    ideal. i actually swore to myself i'd never do another long-distance
    tour with anyone again unless it were with a fellow unicyclist.
    personally, i hate the feeling of holding people back. the uphill
    sections were rewarding, and having the opportunity to pass bikers
    consistently was awesome, but not necessarily frequent enough to make
    it worth the whole ordeal.

    it's true that when a bicycle is loaded with all the touring gear and
    the cyclist is in touring mentality, the average speed is slower than
    on training rides and is more feasible to do alongside unicyclists,
    however the speeds are simply different, and over 60+ miles, it creates
    a bigger gap.

    a lot of your decision will be based on the goals of the bicyclist,
    because the pace of the tour is pretty much going to be determined by
    the unicyclist and not the biker. with really long distances, touring
    is primarily a mental challenge, and having a biker along tended to
    exacerbate any existing frustrations i may have had.

    just my two (or three) cents...

    gracie

    --
    gesbaby2005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gesbaby2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11712
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67363

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.