Long rear racks for large panniers and riders with big feet "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/"

SMS wrote:
> During my search for a rear rack that would work with the Arkel Bug
> pannier/backpack I compiled a document with various possible suitable
> racks.

<snip>

I added some stuff to "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/". One solution
that I theorized about, I finally tried, and it worked well. I
fabricated some rectangles of aluminum, drilled and tapped them, and
made them into "extenders" to mount a normal size rack about 1.75"
further back.

There's a picture of it at
"http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/rackimages/extender.JPG"

With the Arkel Bug, the pannier is no longer hanging way off the rear of
the rack, and the hook can attach properly to the bottom rail.

In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> During my search for a rear rack that would work with the Arkel Bug
>> pannier/backpack I compiled a document with various possible suitable
>> racks.

> <snip>
>
> I added some stuff to "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/". One solution
> that I theorized about, I finally tried, and it worked well. I
> fabricated some rectangles of aluminum, drilled and tapped them, and
> made them into "extenders" to mount a normal size rack about 1.75"
> further back.

There's no problem with the rectangles rotating out of position?

> There's a picture of it at
> "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/rackimages/extender.JPG"
>
> With the Arkel Bug, the pannier is no longer hanging way off the rear of
> the rack, and the hook can attach properly to the bottom rail.

Very cool.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
handshaking protocol, n: