Long seat tube question

Steve

Guest
Hello Everyone, I've found that the 350 mm seatpost on my new mountain bike (full suspension) is not
quite long enough. I bought a 400 mm weighless from Supergo, but I'm worried about breaking/bending
the post. The original one seems to have a very slight bend, and I've only ridden the bike once (but
I did crash pretty hard on a big rock). I weigh 200 pounds, but I'm not an overly aggressive rider
(no big drops, pretty much just single track).

Should I be concerned? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a sturdy post I don't have to
worry about breaking?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Steve wrote:
> Hello Everyone, I've found that the 350 mm seatpost on my new mountain bike (full suspension) is
> not quite long enough. I bought a 400 mm weighless from Supergo, but I'm worried about
> breaking/bending the post. The original one seems to have a very slight bend, and I've only ridden
> the bike once (but I did crash pretty hard on a big rock). I weigh 200 pounds, but I'm not an
> overly aggressive rider (no big drops, pretty much just single track).
>
> Should I be concerned? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a sturdy post I don't have
> to worry about breaking?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve.

Depends on the seatpost :). I ran a 410 for a while and I weigh 230 lbs. Even though it extended
below the frame weld as required by the manufacturer, the frame broke at the weld. The LBS felt that
it might have been the long seatpost -- but they still warrantied the frame :). Of course, they
insisted that I get the next size up frame and they were right -- it fits better :). The fit
difference was subtle -- it felt too big at first, but I can climb better and have better control
out of the saddle.

David