Look Keo Carbon Cleat Mounting Questions?

ender Wiggins

Sep 7, 2004
Hey,

I just bought the Look Keo Carbon pedals and want to install the cleats onto Shimano R151 Carbon soled shoes. These are my first "road" shoes coming from a mountain biking background, so sorry for my ignorance. The Look instructions talk about putting an "abrasive sticker" between the cleat and carbon sole in order to avoid any slipping of the cleat under the carbon sole. I didn't get any stickers with the shoes, so are these abrasive stickers essential? If so, where can I get these stickers? Can I use a similar sticker from a common household item?

These Look cleats also have an optional "memory central oblong", so you can precisely align a replacement cleat. The Shimano shoes have a triangular 3-hole pattern and do not have a 4th central oblong hole in the center. Do other shoes have a 4th hole in the center for memory alignment purposes?

I can't answer these questions, but it sure seems somebody here would've. Isn't that what this forum is for, y'all?

ender Wiggins said:
Hey,

I just bought the Look Keo Carbon pedals and want to install the cleats onto Shimano R151 Carbon soled shoes. These are my first "road" shoes coming from a mountain biking background, so sorry for my ignorance. The Look instructions talk about putting an "abrasive sticker" between the cleat and carbon sole in order to avoid any slipping of the cleat under the carbon sole. I didn't get any stickers with the shoes, so are these abrasive stickers essential? If so, where can I get these stickers? Can I use a similar sticker from a common household item?

These Look cleats also have an optional "memory central oblong", so you can precisely align a replacement cleat. The Shimano shoes have a triangular 3-hole pattern and do not have a 4th central oblong hole in the center. Do other shoes have a 4th hole in the center for memory alignment purposes?
There was in the box the memory cleat (the sticker)?

I've been using Look cleats for years and have not run across any shoes that would have a 4th memory position. The cleats usually will curve over the sole of the shoe because they are not flat, and once you have the position right and have been riding a while, the cleat will make an imprint on the sole that you can match up to later when you replace the cleat. Now Look use to have a system I believe called RADD or RAAD that positions the cleats correctly and some bike shops still may use it. Currently it's a hit or miss situation that you'll have to mount the cleat, ride a while and adjust until it's comfortable and the float is correct. The cleats should have come with a sticky piece of paper that will give you a ball park idea of where to place the cleat, but I've never seen an abrasive come with them. Once the cleats are mounted tightly, they should not move because it does curve over the sole and can be tightened down well. This problem is something I'm trying to work on too, by making a tool that can mount cleats for any pedal style and shoe type. Still in the works though. JD