Look, Ma. No hands!

Henry

Guest
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

2 years ago I saw a guy on a home-built low rider do it but I've yet to test
a recumbent that can, I'm sure they exist tho somewhere

Well, I did it once when I had a wasp hung up in my helmet strap.
Perry
"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

Nope, you da baddest recumbent rider out there

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

I try, and fail.

>Look, Ma. No hands!

I have a BikeE AT. Can't ride no hands in stock form. I changed the fork to a
straight fork. Changed the steering geometry and made the bike much better
handling at slo speeds. No hands are possible too.

Henry wrote:
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
> I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
> bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

All the time. I even lerned to ride it w.o. hands, but recently I put
handlebars on : http://www.scheel.net/HPV/Python/default.asp

I *think* some bad a** trikers can do it too ;-)

Regards,
Torben

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

It's easy to do only when you are not thinking about it.
Like flying in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :)

Henry wrote:

> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
> I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
> bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

I've managed it on a Kestrel and Kingcycle K2, (both FWD low racers) and can
freewheel short distances hands-off on my Speedmachine. A lot depends on
the bike; it was widely held that it is impossible to ride a Kingcycle
hands-off, until last Sunday when a Several of witnesses observed Kaite
Sidwell doing just that. Being 13, and thus knowing no fear, probably
helped.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Henry wrote:
>
> > Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
> > I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
> > bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

> I've managed it on a Kestrel and Kingcycle K2, (both FWD low racers) and can
> freewheel short distances hands-off on my Speedmachine. A lot depends on
> the bike; it was widely held that it is impossible to ride a Kingcycle
> hands-off, until last Sunday when a Several of witnesses observed Kaite
> Sidwell doing just that. Being 13, and thus knowing no fear, probably
> helped.

Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands, spinning or coasting. Great
little bike. Probably the most fun recumbent I've ever owned and I've
owned a bunch.

James Ossa.

> Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands...

RANS Vivo can not be cycled no hands, at least not by this rider, without
almost immediately losing control. :(

James wrote:

> Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands, spinning or coasting. Great
> little bike. Probably the most fun recumbent I've ever owned and I've
> owned a bunch.

I know naught of the Rans Rocket, but I witnessed someone ride several
miles no-handed on a 1996 (square tube) RANS Rocket.

I can only coast for a short distance no-handed on my 2000 RANS Rocket.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> James wrote:
>
> > Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands, spinning or coasting. Great
> > little bike. Probably the most fun recumbent I've ever owned and I've
> > owned a bunch.

> I know naught of the Rans Rocket, but I witnessed someone ride several
> miles no-handed on a 1996 (square tube) RANS Rocket.
>
> I can only coast for a short distance no-handed on my 2000 RANS Rocket.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

So what did they change with the Rans Rocket between 1996 and 2000?

Mark Leuck wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>James wrote:
>>

>>>Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands, spinning or coasting. Great
>>>little bike. Probably the most fun recumbent I've ever owned and I've
>>>owned a bunch.

>>I know naught of the Rans Rocket, but I witnessed someone ride several
>>miles no-handed on a 1996 (square tube) RANS Rocket.
>>
>>I can only coast for a short distance no-handed on my 2000 RANS Rocket.
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area

> So what did they change with the Rans Rocket between 1996 and 2000?

What is a "Rans Rocket"?

I believe the rider of the 1996 Rocket is better at balancing than I am,
since he was a regular unicycle rider and I can not even get started on
a unicycle without falling over.

--
Tom Sherman – 2000 RANS Rocket, among other HPV's

> Mark Leuck wrote:
>
> > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>I know naught of the Rans Rocket, but I witnessed someone ride several
> >>miles no-handed on a 1996 (square tube) RANS Rocket.
> >>
> >>I can only coast for a short distance no-handed on my 2000 RANS Rocket.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area

> > So what did they change with the Rans Rocket between 1996 and 2000?

> What is a "Rans Rocket"?
>
> I believe the rider of the 1996 Rocket is better at balancing than I am,
> since he was a regular unicycle rider and I can not even get started on
> a unicycle without falling over.

My Rocket was a 2003 model. It was the only bent that I was able to
ride well hands free. Trick is to lean back on the seat and relax.
Spin smoothly and use legs to steer. Nice and easy.

Sold it for a Optima Dragon. Dragon has stainless steel/aluminum frame
& boom. Will not rust. Great for commuting. Can not ride hands free.

Do miss the Rocket. Wish I had more room in my garage to keep more
bents.

James Ossa.

James wrote:

> Do miss the Rocket. Wish I had more room in my garage to keep more
> bents.

Keep them in your bedroom next to the bed. :)

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Henry <[email protected]> wrote:

> Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
> seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
> Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

There was a guy on the EcoTrip in Northumberland recently on a
FlevoBike, which he would often ride no hands :)

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:09:23 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Keep them in your bedroom next to the bed. :)

That would irritate the Aussie Shepherd to no end. That's one of the
four spotsfor which she has claimed ownership.

OTOH, when she is gone and we're back to Scotties, I'm guessing that
would open up room for a couple more bikes outside the garage.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Been there, did that...the cats got a good laugh.
Had to remove 3 trikes and one MLWB and one CLWB inside when our balcony was
being
painted and concrete repaired. Got to spend 6 days with bents in the 10' X
12' bedroom
with the king size bed.
2nd night I woke up to go to the bathroom in the dark and forgot I had the
trikes vertical and when I tripped over the CLWB I reached out to grab
something so I would not fall and I grabbed one trike. I did hit the floor
and one by one the trikes fell on me. When I finally got everything back the
way it was and lay on the bed...then I remembered why I got up the 1st time
and I made my way to the bathroom very very carefully.

Joshua
******