Looking after Chrome Molly frames

marcotrov

Jan 9, 2006
I've just bought a Cervello frame (Coloumbus Double Butted steel Tubing) Gone back to it from aluminium. Any ideas on how to keep the frame primed and protected?
I have been advised to wet a rag with dry lube like teflon oil and wipe down the bike frame after a ride and wiping swet off bike.
I've also been told to lay hairspray over the frame?
Any ideas? I know that any chips need to be prepared and a dab of paint replaced to avoid rust spots.:confused:
cheers
marco

marcotrov said:
I've just bought a Cervello frame (Coloumbus Double Butted steel Tubing) Gone back to it from aluminium. Any ideas on how to keep the frame primed and protected?
I have been advised to wet a rag with dry lube like teflon oil and wipe down the bike frame after a ride and wiping swet off bike.
Any ideas? I know that any chips need to be prepared and a dab of paint replaced to avoid rust spots.:confused:
cheers
marco
I park mine next to the dehumidifier to keep it dry after those morning rides when there's a little condensation. Just keep it dry and watch out for chips.

PeterF said:
I park mine next to the dehumidifier to keep it dry after those morning rides when there's a little condensation. Just keep it dry and watch out for chips.
Thanks Peter
cheers
marco

marcotrov said:
cheers
marco

J.P. Weigle's Framesaver sprayed inside. Outside, just keep clean and painted.

Works for my Reynolds 853 LeMond in the humid and salty air of Florida.

Bob

I have a 2004 steel Cervelo Superprodigy which I rode recently in moderate rain and when I got home I found about 1/8 of an inch of water sitting in the bottom bracket!!!!! :eek: AAAAAAAGH!!! I forgot how much water can get in there. I undid the cable-guide screw under the bottom bracket and water ****** out like a tap!! Naturally, I pulled the BB apart and wiped it all clean.

Anyway, the point is that water getting inside the frame is where the real potential problem lies -- that's what alumiunm bikes are for: riding in the wet. :)

When I bought the frame I was told that fish oil (in a spray can) would be suitable for coating the inside, but after the water got in, most of the dried oil in the bottom bracket wiped right off. So, I recommend "Framsaver". It's a bit tricky to cover the whole inside; infact, almost impossible.

Having said all that, if a steel bike is reasonably well looked after; that is, kept clean, drained after ridden in heavy rain, and kept indoors, bad rust is unlikely to develop before the owner is sick of the bike. :) I have 5 old Reynolds 531 steel frames ranging in "birth dates" from the late 70s to the early 90s, which I rode heaps in the rain, and none of then have any serious rust.

531Aussie said:
I have a 2004 steel Cervelo Superprodigy which I rode recently in moderate rain and when I got home I found about 1/8 of an inch of water sitting in the bottom bracket!!!!! :eek: AAAAAAAGH!!! I forgot how much water can get in there. I undid the cable-guide screw under the bottom bracket and water ****** out like a tap!! Naturally, I pulled the BB apart and wiped it all clean.

Anyway, the point is that water getting inside the frame is where the real potential problem lies -- that's what alumiunm bikes are for: riding in the wet. :)

When I bought the frame I was told that fish oil (in a spray can) would be suitable for coating the inside, but after the water got in, most of the dried oil in the bottom bracket wiped right off. So, I recommend "Framsaver". It's a bit tricky to cover the whole inside; infact, almost impossible.

Having said all that, if a steel bike is reasonably well looked after; that is, kept clean, drained after ridden in heavy rain, and kept indoors, bad rust is unlikely to develop before the owner is sick of the bike. :) I have 5 old Reynolds 531 steel frames ranging in "birth dates" from the late 70s to the early 90s, which I rode heaps in the rain, and none of then have any serious rust.
My AL/CF bike uses a hollow screw holding the cable guide on which serves as a BB drain. Believe many bikes have drain holes; they seem like a good idea to me.

You've got quite a collection of old steel Raleighs....I only have two. Agree they ought to last longer than we care to ride them. My 1974 Gran Sport has a good bit of rust on the top tube, but that's from later years of winter use on the trainer when I wasn't careful about wiping off sweat. As thick as the old 531 pipes are on that bike, I'm not worried about frame failure anytime soon.

The 1992 RT600 has signs of rust bubbling under the paint in a few places, but still looks pretty good overall. Neither have had any special care, in fact nothing more than routine wipe down of the top tube after a sweaty ride, and the occasional wash with soap and water.

Corrosion certainly is an issue with steel frames, but like many other of the pros and cons of steel and other materials, it can be overblown too.

nah, I must've written that wrong: I've only got one Raleigh, a 1988 531c, the other 531 frames are locally built

531Aussie said:

Thanks everyone:)
Aussie My Cervello is a 2004 Superprodigy. I was under the impression that these high quality frames were protected with some material on the inside? Are all the bikes the same in moderate(also depends what you call moderate rains) that is fill up with water? At least you gave me a way to drain it when it does happen ( I suppose I'll just have to use the Canondale in the wet.

Second point is their better spot paint you can get when the scratches do come. My cervello is bright red and zinc coated over the hanger section of back stays and near headset of top bar.
Or do you just buy a bit of any old paint from the hardware store?:confused:

Finally do you recommend pulling the bike apart to spray this 'Framesaver' stuff:(
Thanks for your help
cheers
marco

I've still got a print-out of the 2004 Superprodigy info here (not on their site anymore), and it says:

"The entire frame undergoes a nickel plating treatment to increase it's corrosion resistance, not just the rear triangle and the headtube. While this treatment protects the outside of the frame, we do recommend regular treatments of the inside of the frame with products such as Framsaver."

I guess it's up to you if you wanna strip the bike, but if you're not gunna ride in the rain then i suppose it's not urgent. I like my Superprodigy so much that I've decided I'll NEVER ride it it the rain again. :) It's the road spray off the wheels that puts the water in the frame, and it only happens when the road is very wet and/or you're riding fast enough, but like I said, i was stuck in the rain on my steel Raleigh a million times and it's only got a little rust inside the bottom bracket, so the 'dangers' are probably overstated. Some people drain their bikes from the bottom bracket (like I do), then flip it upside down and take off the seat, etc, etc. :) Pretty keen. :)

As far as touch-up paint goes, I just use the stuff from auto shops.

By the way, if you wanna tell your friends how sexy your bike is, then show them this picture! :p This is from the pro team, Team CSC. It has slightly longer chain-stays for the cobbled sections of the European Classics.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/PRGW/bike_ch1825

531Aussie said:
I've still got a print-out of the old Superprodigy info here (not on their site anymore), and it says:

"The entire frame undergoes a nickel plating treatment to increase it's corrosion resistance, not just the rear triangle and the headtube. While this treatment protects the outside of the frame, we do recommend regular treatments of the inside of the frame with products such as Framsaver."

I guess it's up to you if you wanna strip the bike, but if you're not gunna ride in teh rain then i suppose it'snot urgent. I like my Superprodigy so much that I've decided I'll NEVER ride it it the rain again. :) It's the road spray off the wheels that puts the water in the frame, and it only happens when the road is very wet and/or you're riding fast enough. Some people drain their bikes from the bottom bracket, then flip it upside down and take off the seat, etc, etc. :) Pretty keen.

As far as touch-up paint goes, I just use the stuff from auto shops.

By the way, if you wanna tell your friends how sexy your bike is, then show them this picture! :p This is from the pro team, Team CSC. It has slightly longer chain-stays for the cobbled sections of the Eorupean Classics.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/PRGW/bike_ch1825
Your right Aussie it is sexy that';s why I bought it.
Thanks for the info good to know the whole outside is nickel plated
cheers
marco

marcotrov said:
Thanks everyone:)

Finally do you recommend pulling the bike apart to spray this 'Framesaver' stuff:(
Thanks for your help
cheers
marco

Best thing is to strip down to frame-only and spray inside the tubes with Framesaver. Next best thing is to only partially disassemble as follows:

1. Remove seat-post for access to seat-tube, top-tube, and seat-stays. (Framesaver comes with a thin tube for pinpoint spraying.)

2. Remove water bottle cage bolts for access to seat-tube and down-tube.

3. Spray through drain holes at ends of chain stays and seat stays.

Don't be paranoid to ride when it's wet. During the past 4 years I have ridden my LeMond about 25000 miles including in monsoons here in Florida (the rainy season lasts from June through September during which it rains almost every afternoon). The paint still sparkles in the sun and there's no visible rust anywhere.

Given the proper care and handling, your frame will likely be around longer than its owner.

Bob

Bobby Lex said:
Best thing is to strip down to frame-only and spray inside the tubes with Framesaver. Next best thing is to only partially disassemble as follows:

1. Remove seat-post for access to seat-tube, top-tube, and seat-stays. (Framesaver comes with a thin tube for pinpoint spraying.)

2. Remove water bottle cage bolts for access to seat-tube and down-tube.

3. Spray through drain holes at ends of chain stays and seat stays.

Don't be paranoid to ride when it's wet. During the past 4 years I have ridden my LeMond about 25000 miles including in monsoons here in Florida (the rainy season lasts from June through September during which it rains almost every afternoon). The paint still sparkles in the sun and there's no visible rust anywhere.

Given the proper care and handling, your frame will likely be around longer than its owner.

Bob
Thanks Bob your a 'frame' (or is that life) saver;) :)
cheers
marco