looking for a 9-speed junior legal cassette (14 low)

Travis44

Jul 28, 2007
I'm going to start racing this year in the junior 17-18 ranks, and some of the events I'm going to will require rollouts. In conclusion: I need a junior legal cassette. Problem: My bike is only a 9 speed, not a 10 speed, the type of cassette shimano makes especially for juniors. Does anyone know where I can find a 9 speed, junior legal cassette?

Travis44 said:
I'm going to start racing this year in the junior 17-18 ranks, and some of the events I'm going to will require rollouts. In conclusion: I need a junior legal cassette. Problem: My bike is only a 9 speed, not a 10 speed, the type of cassette shimano makes especially for juniors. Does anyone know where I can find a 9 speed, junior legal cassette?

Quality Bike Parts lists some 9s 14-x stuff I think..see your bike shop.

One point that recently bit us tho.A junior had a 7800(DA 10s) wheel and needed junior gearing..got an ultegra 14-xx, 10s but it wouldn't fit onto any DA 10s hubs..this ultegra 10s cogset(only the 14-xx) is made for 8/9s freehubs only..NO DA FOR JUNIORS!!

Peter@vecchios said:

One point that recently bit us tho.A junior had a 7800(DA 10s) wheel and needed junior gearing..got an ultegra 14-xx, 10s but it wouldn't fit onto any DA 10s hubs..this ultegra 10s cogset(only the 14-xx) is made for 8/9s freehubs only..NO DA FOR JUNIORS!!
I seem to recall reading that this is not true for the latest DA stuff... but I know, "How many juniors race on the latest DA?" :)

I think it is kind of interesting that they don't offer it at the 105 level, or even Tiagra.

Never mind, I think I just realized... racers are always urged toward Ultegra and DA, so maybe it isn't so hard to understand since I don't think the market for a 14-25 cassette is very big outside of junior racing.

Look on ebay UK I picked a 14-25 up while I was over there for very little £12.95 . I use it on my wet weather bike- gives a nice range of gearing- makes me pedal a bit faster,tend not to do too many 70km/hr sprints on it anyway.

David

Peter@vecchios said:

I found a Tiagra 9-speed for only $34.00 (compared to the +$100 Ultegra one on the Shimano website) I have the 2005 Shimano 105 Groupo on my bike, will it be compatible?

Travis44 said:
I found a Tiagra 9-speed for only $34.00 (compared to the +$100 Ultegra one on the Shimano website) I have the 2005 Shimano 105 Groupo on my bike, will it be compatible?
totally compatible- shimano 9 speed is shimano 9sp Tiagra DA or XTR MTB stuff. Tiagra is just a bit heavier- I think they are the only 14-25 available.
One other very useful fact- you can take apart all of the lower end shimano cassettes (below Ultegra)and make up your own- so if for example All the 8sp 9sp and 10 sp sprockets are the same. Try a google search there are some articles out there.
Incidently I am running my 14-25 9sp shimano with campag 9sp levers and rear mech.

David

Travis44 said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=387

try this one perhaps? a few grams heavier than Ultegra junior, but equally functional.:)