looking for a - Campy 6 speed Cog tool

Jf

Guest
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a tool to remove a 6 speed regina on a Record hub (80ish). A couple of
shops have had one but are unable to locate one to sell. By the way, the tool that both shops had
was made by Phil Woods. Any ideas? ...jeff

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 04:31:18 +0000, JF wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble finding a tool to remove a 6 speed regina on a Record hub (80ish). A couple of
> shops have had one but are unable to locate one to sell. By the way, the tool that both shops had
> was made by Phil Woods. Any ideas?

I am pretty sure Park Tool still sells these. It's a Regina-specific tool, not Campy, but anyway,
there are a few out there.

Why don't you have the shop pull the freewheel? This is not something that needs doing every day.
You do have to be careful that they know what they are doing. Many of the teenagers who work there
have never seen a freewheel.

If you do get the tool, here is what you do. Remove the quick release. Place tool on the end of the
freewheel, engaging the protrusions of the tool in the slots of the freewheel. Then put the quick
release back on, tighten it down enough to hold the tool in place, but not so tight that the
freewheel can't be loosened a bit. Then put the wheel on top of a bench vice, and clamp the vice
down on the tool. Grab the rim with both hands, and twist as hard as you can, counter-clockwise
(when viewed from above). The freewheel is attached with very fine threads -- normal right-hand
thread. But riding tightens the freewheel, and one that has been on a bike for many years may be
almost impossible to budge.

Once the freewheel unscrews a bit, loosen the quick release and continue. When you put it back on,
use plenty of anti-seize.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Thanks for the information David. After visiting 5 different bike shops, I have tried most of the
Park tools and none of them fit. So the dilema, finding the right tool with one option being a Phil
Wood product (which isn't listed on their site).

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, JF wrote:
> Thanks for the information David. After visiting 5 different bike shops, I have tried most of the
> Park tools and none of them fit. So the dilema, finding the right tool with one option being a
> Phil Wood product (which isn't listed on their site).

Isn't it easier to disassemble it and to rebuild it, after thorough cleaning and lubrication, or
just trash it?

Sergio Pisa

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:54:55 +0200, Sergio SERVADIO wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, JF wrote:
>> Thanks for the information David. After visiting 5 different bike shops, I have tried most of the
>> Park tools and none of them fit. So the dilema, finding the right tool with one option being a
>> Phil Wood product (which isn't listed on their site).
>
> Isn't it easier to disassemble it and to rebuild it, after thorough cleaning and lubrication, or
> just trash it?

No, no no. Do not dissasemble a freewheel. Ever taken apart a pocket watch as a kid? This is worse.
Little tiny bearings, hair-thin springs, pawls that need to be pushed in (against the springs) to
put the thing together -- but then how do you get it together while holding the pawls down? Once you
dissasemble the freewheel, it is trash.

To the OP: What kind of notches (how many, what size) are there in the end of the freewheel? If it
is an old-style Regina, there should be two fairly wide notches.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |

"JF" <[email protected]> writes:

>Thanks for the information David. After visiting 5 different bike shops, I have tried most of the
>Park tools and none of them fit. So the dilema, finding the right tool with one option being a Phil
>Wood product (which isn't listed on their site).

Everything can be found on ebay if you have the necessary patiences (sometimes up to 6 months is
required.)

Another option is to look at the very oldest bike shops in your region.

Another option is to appeal to people on this list for help in finding or borrowing the tool. For
example, I think I may have the correct tool, bought to go with a regina freewheel, purchased at the
same time in 1980, for my schwinn paramount. Unfortunately, my tool is probably 2300 miles away,
somewhere at my mom's house, in illinois.

Don Gillies San Diego, CA

[email protected] (Tom Paterson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >From: "JF"
>
> >After visiting 5 different bike shops, I have tried most of the Park tools and none of them fit.
> >So the dilema, finding the right tool with one option being a Phil Wood product (which isn't
> >listed on their site).
>
> Email and ask Phil co.?
>
> Your freewheel-- splined or notched (2 or 4 notches)? --TP

If it's splined, the Phil tool has a larger bore than the Regina tool. This allows you to fit the
tool without removing the outer locknut and spacer. (I think... kinda fuzzy here.)

If it's notched, be very careful- the Regina notched freewheels were really prone to stripping the
notches if the tool isn't held on with the skewer- and they could still strip if the remover tool
wasn't held on tightly. Apparently Regina freewheel bodies were made of cheese.

Bicycle Research makes tools that fit Regina freewheels. Here's their list:
http://www.bicycletool.com/wheelt.html#anchor270825 . You'll need either a CT-1 or CT-2. There's
better pictures at http://tinyurl.com/qh4n

Jeff

"JF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qw5hb.526768$cF.192136@rwcrnsc53>...
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble finding a tool to remove a 6 speed regina on a Record hub (80ish). A couple of
> shops have had one but are unable to locate one to sell. By the way, the tool that both shops had
> was made by Phil Woods. Any ideas? ...jeff

Dear Jeff,

My old 2001 Third Hand catalogue lists only two Regina removers, but they no longer sell them, as
far as I could tell from their web site. They still might be worth calling. If nothing else, the
descriptions and compatible brands might be helpful.

One is a "Shimano Dura-Ace & 600 Freewheel Remover, a durable, snug-fitting remover with two notches
and a raised lip to help prevent slipping when in use. It fits old style Shimano and Regina notched
freewheel bodies."

It looks like a rounded hollow plug with two broad flats ground on it.

The other is: "Atom Freewheel Removers, three splined removers to fit Atom, Zeus, Regina and Schwinn
freewheels that have 20 splines and a 21.2mm diameter. The Park and Phil Wood models have very thin
walls that allow removal with axle spacers and locknuts in place. The Bicycle Research model has
thicker walls for strength."

These are typical multi-splined removers.

A search for "regina freewheel" and tool* on Google might help. I found the page below offering some
kind of Regina removal tool for $6, but I expect that your quest will be more difficult.

http://www.4sportsdeals.com/Cycling-Mountain-Bike/Cycling-Mountain-Bike-Road-bikes-Parts_4.shtml

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

"JF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qw5hb.526768$cF.192136@rwcrnsc53...
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble finding a tool to remove a 6 speed regina on a
Record
> hub (80ish). A couple of shops have had one but are unable to locate one to sell.
By the
> way, the tool that both shops had was made by Phil Woods. Any ideas?
...jeff

Are you saying that none of the shops has one for its own use? I find that hard to believe. I bet
you Andrew and Sheldon have candy dishes filled with them. I have the Phil tool, and I think, maybe,
some other Regina removers (I have to look in my parts museum, which is almost empty now after
selling most everything at a garage sale). If I were you, I would locate a shop with the tool, have
them remove the freewheel and then buy something more modern along with an appropriate tool. If all
else fails, send me a note, and I will sell you my Phil tool, if I can find it. But it will be very
expensive because, in eBay lingo, it is a "rare, custom made freewheel removal tool for Regina
freewheels. Autographed by legendary Phil Wood." PSA graded 10 mint+. Shipping charges, $150 or 1%
of income, whichever is higher. -- Jay Beattie.

Lot's of good information group!

I can have the shops remove the freewheel but I was hoping to find the tool so that I can move
product between similar wheelsets. Initial thoughts were that this setup would have been common
enough in the 80s to still be a support requirement in today's shops. ...And therefore the tools
would be readily available.

The freewheel has splines and a requirement for a thin wall to clear the cone nuts. The FR-4 Atom
does not fit and I need to compile a list of tools that I have tried. And to be honest, I haven't
reviewed my different wheel configurations until recently. I'll need to add a few more tools to my
arsenal. ...Jeff

"JF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qw5hb.526768$cF.192136@rwcrnsc53...
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble finding a tool to remove a 6 speed regina on a Record hub (80ish). A couple of
> shops have had one but are unable to locate one to sell. By
the
> way, the tool that both shops had was made by Phil Woods. Any ideas?
...jeff

>From: "JF"

>And therefore the tools would be readily available.
>
>The freewheel has splines and a requirement for a thin wall to clear the cone nuts.

Phil Wood. Have one, sorry NFS. Possibilities:

<http://www.philwood.com/pcontacts.htm>

WTB ad in <rec.bicycles.marketplace> ? --TP

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:54:55 +0200, Sergio SERVADIO wrote:
> > Isn't it easier to disassemble it and to rebuild it, after thorough cleaning and lubrication, or
> > just trash it?
> No, no no. Do not dissasemble a freewheel. Ever taken apart a pocket watch as a kid? This is
> worse. Little tiny bearings, hair-thin springs, pawls that need to be pushed in (against the
> springs) to put the thing together -- but then how do you get it together while holding the pawls
> down? Once you dissasemble the freewheel, it is trash.

Bolooney! (spell?)

How else could one really learn, and appreciate, hidden secrets of the machine? Ready to tutor
anyone who would enjoy the endeavour. I have surely disassembled, and rebuilt, freewheels
dozens of times.

Sergio Pisa