Looking for a good road tire for around $40ea. - -

Originally Posted by KLabs .

+1... this is definitely my experience with Conti GP4000S. These tyres actually roll faster, grip better, ride better, handle better, are more puncture resistant, and last longer, if you use a range of 90-100 psi.

Re rolling, grip and ride, I believe the reason is because roads really are not smooth surfaces, so the bumps need to be absorbed while the bike and rider continue in a forward motion, not an up then forward motion. Bump absorption provides a hugely more comfortable ride and if the tyre is always on the road surface then the grip will also be better :)

Why better puncture resistance ... I am not absolutely certain. I simply know that there is :)

Why better wear ... I am not absolutely certain, but it is probably because there is more tyre surface area on the road, for the load :)
This is so full of what if's it's ridiculas. First off 90 to 100 psi is for someone weighing between 110 at the the lowest end and 147 on the very high end. So what happens if someone weighs 200 pounds? Gee lets run 100 psi. This calculator will help you get a lot closer to the idea pressure without all the 90 to 100 psi works for me thus works for everyone mumbo jumbo: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

Next thing that DHK2 said that tires are not going to matter...HE'S RIGHT!! And the Conti GP4000s in the rolling resistance arena are only average in rolling resistance, people imagine all sorts of things and Klabs imagines the Conti's roll the best...their just average. By the way here's proof of that too: http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

Originally Posted by Froze .

This is so full of what if's it's ridiculas. First off 90 to 100 psi is for someone weighing between 110 at the the lowest end and 147 on the very high end. So what happens if someone weighs 200 pounds? Gee lets run 100 psi. This calculator will help you get a lot closer to the idea pressure without all the 90 to 100 psi works for me thus works for everyone mumbo jumbo: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

Next thing that DHK2 said that tires are not going to matter...HE'S RIGHT!! And the Conti GP4000s in the rolling resistance arena are only average in rolling resistance, people imagine all sorts of things and Klabs imagines the Conti's roll the best...their just average. By the way here's proof of that too: http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf
Hi Froze, actually the max pressure for Conti GP400S is 115-120psi, but what I wrote above is from my experience with these tyres with more than 2000 Kms of riding on them (I am about 86Kgs/190lbs).

I previously rode them at 110-15psi but now ride them at 95-100psi and I have not experienced any downside to doing so.
Actually, my friend rides his at about 90psi (he is a little lighter) and after 2000 Kms he has never had a front or rear puncture.
I must ride on reasonably rough (abrasive) roads :)

PS: Perhaps this is DHK2's experience and it also appears to be 64Paramount's experience. One thing is for sure, it is definitely easier on the backside, and I am riding just as fast, but I do not race, just tour, so perhaps my preference is towards enjoying the ride and less punctures :)

Hi Froze, actually the max pressure for Conti GP400S is 115-120psi, but what I wrote above is from my experience with these tyres with more than 2000 Kms of riding on them (I am about 86Kgs/190lbs).

I previously rode them at 110-15psi but now ride them at 95-100psi and I have not experienced any downside to doing so.
Actually, my friend rides his at about 90psi (he is a little lighter) and after 2000 Kms he has never had a front or rear puncture.
I must ride on reasonably rough (abrasive) roads :)

PS: Perhaps this is DHK2's experience and it also appears to be 64Paramount's experience. One thing is for sure, it is definitely easier on the backside, and I am riding just as fast, but I do not race, just tour, so perhaps my preference is towards enjoying the ride and less punctures :)
If you put your weight into those last two calculators (the first one is weird) you will find your real close, some folks like their's a tad stiff, others don't, so that calculator is a starting point. If I input your weight into the second calculator (bike+rider) with a 45/55 differential with a 23mm tire it comes up with 88psi in the front and 109 in the rear. Try those pressures for fun and see what how you like it. My Kenda Konstrictor tires have a 135 psi max rating but I only put 80 in the front and 100 in the rear. I use weight with clothes on not naked plus I add in full water bottles and the seat bag which brings me to 170 pounds; I figure rider weight should include all accessories, just like my psi is different on my touring bike because I factor in 60 to 70 pounds of gear plus the wider 32mm tires changes the psi to about 65 and 80. The ratio I decided on seems to work just fine for every brand tire I've used regardless of it's max rated pressure. Those calculators are nothing new, they've been around a long time on paper, Michelin just made it easier to figure out with a dedicated calculator.

But try the psi's the calculator comes up with first with just your weight then your weight plus accessories and see what you think vs your psi you use now.

Hi Froze, according to those calculators (bike/rider = 94kg) my 700C/23mm rear tyre should be about 115psi and Front about 95psi.
Do you agree with that Froze?

I actually like it at about 100psi and 90-95psi ... appreciated Froze and I will definitely think about it :)

I "had" Armadillos. For bulletproof, I think the Gatorskins are a better bet (albeit being super-ugly). The Armadillos are stiff as hell, and even the smallest bumps will transfer right to your bones. I found myself riding the road bike like a mountain bike on downhill roads that were less-than-ideal, bunny-hopping over every crack and rut in the way. If your roads are pure virgin Tarmac, then Armadillos are great.

I sacrificed a little puncture-freeness for some better rolling tires, and so far have been having pretty good luck with Challenge Paris-Roubaix tires. As far as ride quality, I have never experienced anything even half as nice. I have gotten a couple flats, but modifying my behavior back to the original ways has cured that problem--bombproof tires forced me into some bad habits such as riding over debris without thinking about the consequences.

I believe that the Specialized All Condition Armadillos roll quite well, are very good for puncture free rides, and are very good wearing.
So that means puncture free ride after ride, which is a good thing.

Hi Froze, according to those calculators (bike/rider = 94kg) my 700C/23mm rear tyre should be about 115psi and Front about 95psi.
Do you agree with that Froze?

I actually like it at about 100psi and 90-95psi ... appreciated Froze and I will definitely think about it :)
That is correct for the 45/55% ratio. If you go to the calculator web site at: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html you will note there are some other areas you can go to for more info. The 45/55 ratio is for those who like to ride long distances called Randonneur's, the other ratio of 40/60 is for those who race, then there is also a city ratio not in the calculator called the city ratio and it's split 35/65. I like to run mine at the 45/55 ratio even when I use to race many, many moons ago. See this for more info: http://adventurecycling.org/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

Originally Posted by cloudhead .

I "had" Armadillos. For bulletproof, I think the Gatorskins are a better bet (albeit being super-ugly). The Armadillos are stiff as hell, and even the smallest bumps will transfer right to your bones. I found myself riding the road bike like a mountain bike on downhill roads that were less-than-ideal, bunny-hopping over every crack and rut in the way. If your roads are pure virgin Tarmac, then Armadillos are great.

I sacrificed a little puncture-freeness for some better rolling tires, and so far have been having pretty good luck with Challenge Paris-Roubaix tires. As far as ride quality, I have never experienced anything even half as nice. I have gotten a couple flats, but modifying my behavior back to the original ways has cured that problem--bombproof tires forced me into some bad habits such as riding over debris without thinking about the consequences.
I rode on Armadillos All Condition Pro for years when I lived in the desert of So Calif and goatheads would penetrate any tire...except the Armadillos. I found that if you run about 65 psi in the front and 80psi in the rear (depending on weight of the rider, I weighed 165 and used 25mm tires) they rode a lot better...but still not as compliant has a normal tire. The Armadillo is indeed as bullet proof as a tire gets, much more so then the Gatorskins that fell prey to goatheads when I tried them.

Originally Posted by Froze .
I rode on Armadillos All Condition Pro for years ...about 65 psi in the front and 80psi in the rear (depending on weight of the rider, I weighed 165 and used 25mm tires) they rode a lot better...but still not as compliant has a normal tire.
Hi Froze, how well did they roll at those pressures?

Hi Froze, how well did they roll at those pressures?

great for Armadillos which don't roll as good as lighter tires designed for racing, but PSI didn't make a lick of difference in the speed area. By the way, the 4 person team winner of the 2001 RAAM race raced on Armadillos, their theory was if they didn't have to stop to fix flats they might win...and win they did. So their fast enough for that! And they didn't have one flat.

I no longer use Armadillos because I don't live in a flat prone area anymore, so the Kenda Konstrictors work very well for where I'm at but they wouldn't hold up against a goathead either.