Looking for a place to move?

endurance222

Mar 30, 2006
Although I love the sport of cycling, I will love my job as well. I will be a graduate and looking for a teaching job in the states. Where do you think I should go? I am a big hill fan and also do a triathlon here and there.:confused: Where do you think.

endurance222 said:
Although I love the sport of cycling, I will love my job as well. I will be a graduate and looking for a teaching job in the states. Where do you think I should go? I am a big hill fan and also do a triathlon here and there.:confused: Where do you think.

Honolulu

DiabloScott said:
I am surprised at your recommendation... The greater bay area is such a wonderful place to cycle, and provides some good climbs relatively close by (at least by my wimpy standards). The Sierra Nevada must have at least a couple of good climbs within a 2 or 3 hour drive...

Combined with a nice climate year around, several good Universities and a relatively tolerant populace, and you are talking about a great place to live!

dgregory57 said:
I am surprised at your recommendation... The greater bay area is such a wonderful place to cycle, and provides some good climbs relatively close by (at least by my wimpy standards). The Sierra Nevada must have at least a couple of good climbs within a 2 or 3 hour drive...

Combined with a nice climate year around, several good Universities and a relatively tolerant populace, and you are talking about a great place to live!
Exactly what I was about to recommend! San Francisco, Sausalito, and Tiburon are just a few examples of the amazing places in the Bay Area to cycle. You can also swing by and take a nice ride through Napa Valley, or any other winery in the area. :)

f'real, northern colorado:

i'd go with boulder/ft collins rather than denver. in FTC and boulder you're a couple of miles from great climbing, whereas if you actually live in denver youve got a bit of a drive to get to the mountains.

300+ days of sunshineevery year, great mountain roads, great plains, great commuter friendly urban planning, great bike scene and shops.

winters are brisk, but rarely unrideable, i think i missed like 3 days all winter due to heavy snow. if you arent afraid of layering and wearing booties, you can ride all winter, and the summers are sublime.

Blue Ridge Mountains. Tennessee, Georgia, North or South Carolina. If you live in the foothills it has nice scenery for rolling hill riding. Then you can travel to the bigger climbs in less than an hour or make it a long ride and just ride to the bigger climbs.

dgregory57 said:

Yeah, but we got enough people here.

OK, room for one more and his bikes.

Bolder sounds wonderful to me, I may have to check into that area there;) thanks for all the help

Australia is nice and has a teacher shortage (in the outback or parts of Sydney) and if you pick the right spot - lots of hills.

To be very honest. CA is a great place but I don't know how someone would make it out there on a teachers salary. Denver is a great choice. I lived there as well. That is a really fun city. Also, think about Atlanta. There are a lot of hills (I think my 45 mile ride this weekend had close to 3000 ft and we were just north of the city so not bad) That and GA is begging for people to teach in the schools.

SBSpartan said:
To be very honest. CA is a great place but I don't know how someone would make it out there on a teachers salary. Denver is a great choice. I lived there as well. That is a really fun city. Also, think about Atlanta. There are a lot of hills (I think my 45 mile ride this weekend had close to 3000 ft and we were just north of the city so not bad) That and GA is begging for people to teach in the schools.
i dont know about that. seems that EVERY teacher i know is doing very well. they still cry about their pay, but lets face it 45G/year to work 9 mo. isn't bad at all. not to mention the extemely expensive benefits package and retirement. i vote central california. some of the greatest hills in the world right off the valley floor. hot summers, but hey, its dry heat.

endurance222 said:
Western NC is really nice... Lance Armstrong once said it had the best riding in the US. hincapie lives in the general area too.
Asheville has a quite active Bi scene ;) , don't know about tri though :D

snaps10 said:
i dont know about that. seems that EVERY teacher i know is doing very well. they still cry about their pay, but lets face it 45G/year to work 9 mo. isn't bad at all. not to mention the extemely expensive benefits package and retirement. i vote central california. some of the greatest hills in the world right off the valley floor. hot summers, but hey, its dry heat.
People were not talking about Central (which has a decent standard of living). They were talking about the Bay Area which $45K won't take you very far. Great place, it's just that $45K = about $30K there. I am guessing he wants to do more than ride his bike!

SBSpartan said:
To be very honest. CA is a great place but I don't know how someone would make it out there on a teachers salary.

They don't make it. They get jobs where they can reach the American Dream and buy a home. Unless you're a millionaire, or your spouse is, you can't do here.

I'm a teacher and I see a flood of young hungry teachers flee every year to places they can afford to live - typically the distant suburbs - where they can't build schools fast enough to support the influx of students.

I vote New Zealand!

SBSpartan said:
People were not talking about Central (which has a decent standard of living). They were talking about the Bay Area which $45K won't take you very far. Great place, it's just that $45K = about $30K there. I am guessing he wants to do more than ride his bike!
point well made, and well taken.

SBSpartan said:
You would be right in saying that, it would be a nice perk to have a great place, but job and income is number 1. With the right mindset you can ride anywhere.

snaps10 said:
So you figured out the secret of the teachers huh. You are right on, we complain about pay, but it is only for 9 months, then we just sit around and do nothing ;)

lumpy said:
They don't make it. They get jobs where they can reach the American Dream and buy a home. Unless you're a millionaire, or your spouse is, you can't do here.

I'm a teacher and I see a flood of young hungry teachers flee every year to places they can afford to live - typically the distant suburbs - where they can't build schools fast enough to support the influx of students.

I vote New Zealand!
Thank you for your advice, someone from the field is really helpful. I have done the research and I know exactly what you mean, I am no shoe in at any school either with a 3.7 G.P.A. You need a 3.9 or higher to have a chance at your choice.

endurance222 said:
So you figured out the secret of the teachers huh. You are right on, we complain about pay, but it is only for 9 months, then we just sit around and do nothing ;)
i wasn't dogging teachers at all. my wife teaches piano at a local private school here. i know there is a lot of outside prep involved, especially if you teach summer school. if i had the fortitude to deal with children id honestly probably teach, however i feel my lack of patience with children and admin. would probably lead to my downfall. :D i still stand by my opinion of central california. you can live comfortably here at a teachers salary. its the 100 degree plus days you have to worry about.