Looking For Advice On Cycling On Single-track Roads

fusionfirefblae

May 26, 2015
I'm off to my old retreat in Argyll on Saturday (which I haven't been to in many a years). Just wondering if anyonehas any advice cycling on single-track roads?

Stay in the middle and allow people to pass when they have slowed down sufficiently and when it is safe for them to do so. Obviously don't purposefully get in the way of anyone, but also if someone is coming at speed don't cycle in the gutter because some of the clowns will just whizz past at 60 leaving you about 6" and if you hit a pothole or stone in the gutter just as they are about to pass it may be hello Raigmore.

In some ways I think single track roads are safer for cyclists as you control when and where the cars passyou.
I usually cycle on until theres a slightly wider bit then pull over and let them go by.

On descents just remember that if theres a car coming up around a blind bend there may not be room for you toget past it so be able to stop in the distance you can see.

The advice above is good. However , sometimes you will get an impatient motorist who is getting too close to you from behind. Then it is better to find the quickest way to get them past you, even if it means stopping. These people are annoying and you need rid of them. It's what we have to put up with on narrow roads.

You need to keep cycling near the edge of the road.These roads are usually congested with traffic. You must keep an eye so that you are not knocked off the road.