Looking for big winter shoes

N2vx Jim

Guest
I'm looking for large winter shoes/boots. I tried a pair of Lake MXZ-300's and a size 48 was
painfully small.

Are there any winter shoes sized large? Or perhaps neoprene booties made to fit larger shoes? All
the booties I've seen are too small.

Thanks, Jim

"Jim, N2VX" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm looking for large winter shoes/boots. I tried a pair of Lake MXZ-300's and a size 48 was
> painfully small.
>
> Are there any winter shoes sized large? Or perhaps neoprene booties made to fit larger shoes? All
> the booties I've seen are too small.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bicycle shoes. If you have big feet (size 48 for me) it's hard to
find shoes that fit. I've had good luck with Lake shoes, but haven't tried the MXZ-300. Your feet
might be wide, too; Lake make their shoes in wide and regular. So does Sidi, which makes up to a 50
IIRC. Finding 'em is yet another problem- few bike shops will stock the large size shoes for fear of
never selling them.

You could try the Sidi and Lake Web sites to check their range of shoe sizes. I don't think you're
going to find much joy with the other winter cycling shoe makers (Northwave and Gaerne, neither of
them seem to make a shoe larger than a 47 and those run small).

I have a pair of Sidi winter road shoes in size 48 that work pretty well. Per the US distributor,
these were never imported into the US so he doesn't know where the guy I bought them from got 'em.
Sidi had a very similar MTB shoe (same upper, different sole), but I think the design has changed a
bit since then.

My booties are Sidetrak neoprene, and they're the best fit of any booties I've found. With a good
thick wool sock inside the shoe and the Sidetraks, I'm pretty comfortable even in my Lake MX-101
summer shoes down to about 40 degrees F. Below that I wear the Sidis. Below 32 deg F I don't think
riding a bike is much fun any more, so I rarely
do. If I did, I'd use platform pedals and my Steger mukluks, which would probably keep me toasty
warm to about 25 below 0 F.

In the winter I snowshoe and cross-country ski, while pining for summer and hot days over rolling
terrain. Aaaahhh.

Try the Sidi's

They have two models:

one is the Winter Freeze, a road shoe, comes in sizes 38-50

the other is the Winter Storm 3, a mountain shoe, also in 38-50.

I have the Storm, it's a pretty good shoe, actually a boot.

news:[email protected]...

Tim McNamara wrote:
> ... Your feet might be wide, too; Lake make their shoes in wide and regular. So does Sidi, which
> makes up to a 50 IIRC. Finding 'em is yet another problem- few bike shops will stock the large
> size shoes for fear of never selling them.

I do not find that Lake or Sidi make both regular and wide shoes by inspecting their web sites.
http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/index.html and http://www.lakecycling.com/. Lake has models denoted with
a "W" in the end of the model name. This "W" is for "woman", though. Can you please direct me to
their wide models?

> You could try the Sidi and Lake Web sites to check their range of shoe sizes. I don't think you're
> going to find much joy with the other winter cycling shoe makers (Northwave and Gaerne, neither of
> them seem to make a shoe larger than a 47 and those run small).

www.cyclecomponets.com (Sweeden) has Gaerne Polar in 48. On the same site you will find that all the
North Wave mtb shoes are availavle in size 36-50. except one model, Iguana. .The site is in Swedish,
go to , follow "produktgrupper/skor/ mtb skor" which means products/shoes/mtb shoes.

Erik L, Trondheim, Norway

"Erik Lindeberg" <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > ... Your feet might be wide, too; Lake make their shoes in wide and regular. So does Sidi, which
> > makes up to a 50 IIRC. Finding 'em is yet another problem- few bike shops will stock the large
> > size shoes for fear of never selling them.
>
> I do not find that Lake or Sidi make both regular and wide shoes by inspecting their web sites.
> http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/index.html and http://www.lakecycling.com/. Lake has models denoted
> with a "W" in the end of the model name. This "W" is for "woman", though. Can you please direct me
> to their wide models?

That's what I get for believing the bike shop guy, who said the "W" is for "wide." :-O The Sidi
"wide" range was called "Mega" a year or two ago.

> > You could try the Sidi and Lake Web sites to check their range of shoe sizes. I don't think
> > you're going to find much joy with the other winter cycling shoe makers (Northwave and Gaerne,
> > neither of them seem to make a shoe larger than a 47 and those run small).
>
> www.cyclecomponets.com (Sweeden) has Gaerne Polar in 48. On the same site you will find that all
> the North Wave mtb shoes are availavle in size 36-50. except one model, Iguana. .The site is in
> Swedish, go to , follow "produktgrupper/skor/ mtb skor" which means products/shoes/mtb shoes.

Usually the cost of delivery, customs, etc. to the US makes such purchases prohibitive. Interesting
that these sizes are available somewhere, because they're as common as hen's teeth here. Must be a
problem with the importers having small feet or something.

The Winter Freeze sounds nice and there's a good range of sizes.

You mentioned that you have the Winter Storm 3. Do the sizes run a bit big or small on the Sidi's?

Thanks, Jim On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:53:20 -0500, "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Try the Sidi's
>
>They have two models:
>
>one is the Winter Freeze, a road shoe, comes in sizes 38-50
>
>the other is the Winter Storm 3, a mountain shoe, also in 38-50.
>
>I have the Storm, it's a pretty good shoe, actually a boot.
>
>Stay warm. "Jim, N2VX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm looking for large winter shoes/boots. I tried a pair of Lake MXZ-300's and a size 48 was
>> painfully small.
>>
>> Are there any winter shoes sized large? Or perhaps neoprene booties made to fit larger shoes? All
>> the booties I've seen are too small.
>>
>> Thanks, Jim

My street shoe size is 13, for athletic shoes, particularly Nike running shoes, I typically wear a
14. The Sidi 50 fits me just fine.