looking for some purchasing advice

tiptonrobert

Jul 9, 2009
I am in the market for a new road bike. I would like to spend around $1200 or less on a good quality bike that I will be using for recreational use. I would like to get the most for my money. Any thoughts on who offers the best bike and components for the money? I would appreciate your feedback.

I have often heard it said that Shimano's road groups mostly get lighter when you go more expensive than 105, but don't really shift any better or last longer. I never had a better group so I don't know. I have a 105 triple and can't imagine any situation in which it needs to shift better than it does.

tiptonrobert said:
I am in the market for a new road bike. I would like to spend around $1200 or less on a good quality bike that I will be using for recreational use. I would like to get the most for my money. Any thoughts on who offers the best bike and components for the money? I would appreciate your feedback.

All things being equal, (regular retail prices) I think Giant has typically the best value for the money (compared to Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc). Try to get Shimano 105 group (no plastic parts)
At least in my area (Atlanta) my LBS carries Giant and others such as Cannondale, Specialized, Felt and consistently Giant has the best prices when comparing similar bikes.

Go to a few bike shops, test ride some bikes, compare components and warrantee (and the shop's service policy) and see what you like within your budget.

I always believe you have to go ride a few bikes from different manufacturers in the price range that you are willing spend. Different manufacturers have different geometries and one may feel better to you than others. Comfort is important. In my experience, USUALLY bikes around the same price have comparable componentry.

agreed comfort is the most important factor, if you aren't comfortable riding your bike you won't ride it.

If you're not hung up on the "new" part, you'll get far more for your money buying used on eBay. For $1,200 you should be able to get a full carbon frame/fork with a Dura Ace gruppo (I did). Key is to know your appropriate frame size. Not that shipping charges are that much, but you can avoid them altogether, and enhance your comfort level with the bike & seller, by restricting your search to a 25- or 50-mile radius and taking a test ride before you bid. If you find one you like, try offering the seller a bit more than his/her reserve price to kill the auction and sell to you on the spot. Most sellers would just as soon avoid the hassle of packing and shipping the bike, and cash in hand is always welcome. If paying with cash, try to get a bill of sale, signed by the seller, identifying the bike by name, model & serial number.

I have bought one bike in person, had 3 more shipped to me by various sellers all over the country, and have bought numerous parts on eBay. Never had a problem. YMMV.

tiptonrobert said:

consider second hand bikes, or anything made in Asia is cheap.

I like that bike!!! That is on my list of must have bikes, also is the P. Prince.

Which I think is also make in Asia