Looking to purchase new wheels

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I am looking to purchase new wheels for my 04 Trek 1000. Some idiot (in a car)pulled in front of me and decided to suddenly turn. What are some good ones out there or some to stay away from? And what do all the different #'s mean?

New Hand built Wheels with 6500 Ultegra hubs, Double Butted Sapim Race 14/15 spokes built 3 cross with 32 spokes per wheel, Velocity Aerohead rims with Offset on rear hub to more evenly distribute the load. Total wheel weight with QR Skewers 1,900 grams. Price under $240 @ URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7110466745

daveornee said:
New Hand built Wheels with 6500 Ultegra hubs, Double Butted Sapim Race 14/15 spokes built 3 cross with 32 spokes per wheel, Velocity Aerohead rims with Offset on rear hub to more evenly distribute the load. Total wheel weight with QR Skewers 1,900 grams. Price under $240 @ URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7110466745

Even on a Trek 1000 {which is a nice entry level bike},i wouldnt put 1900g wheels on it. Maybe boudreaux would being the stud he might be,but i wouldnt be the unstud that i am.

shokhead said:
Even on a Trek 1000 {which is a nice entry level bike},i wouldnt put 1900g wheels on it. Maybe boudreaux would being the stud he might be,but i wouldnt be the unstud that i am.

Please explain your statement about 1,900 g wheels.

Velocity Spartucus come in at 1,900 g and many other higher priced wheelsets are within 1/4 pound (100 g) of 1,900 g.

daveornee said:

Velocity Spartucus come in at 1,900 g and many other higher priced wheelsets are within 1/4 pound (100 g) of 1,900 g.
Believe your point is that most "standard" 32 spoke wheels weigh around 1900 grams. The Alex wheelset that came on the Trek 1000 probably weighs about that much now, but of course, weight doesn't tell anything about the quality of the wheel.

A lighter wheel isn't automatically more costly or higher quality, it's just lighter. Fewer spokes and a thinner rim make a cheap wheelset look good in the LBS or in a catalog. But, if it takes retuning or needs a hub rebuild every 2000 miles, or starts breaking spokes, or fails on the first pothole you hit, then it's not a wheel I'd want to ride.

daveornee said:

Most people consider Elites good but not the lightest at 1715g{i think} so what do you think that makes 1900g wheelsets?

I'm sure the hubs are still good. The most cost effective way would be to use the hubs and have them built.