Loose Headset

John.W

Guest
Having changed to an ahead setup last month (judy tt forks, M-Part aheadset and threadles ahead
stem) i still cannot get my headset tight, i could never get the threaded setup tight (found to be
damaged fork threads and worn headset), but when fitting the threadless headset i noticed that the
top and bottom cups were a loose press fit, not loose enough to fall out, but loose enough to insert
by hand without need of any kind of press. The threaded headset when fitted in 96 was a very, very
tight fit indeed (ritchey logic)(so tight i had to check it wasnt 1+ 1/8th) The bike is a 93
stumpjumper and the setup is all 1". I have tried tightening the star nut preload and stem as tight
as i can get them (within reasonable limits, and i know the star nut is only preload and can be
taken out after the stem is tightened up) but to no great effect. The headset is still (annoyingly)
slightly loose (clicks back and forth) Will the loose headset cups be the culprit, if so is there
any way of securing them in the head tube so they do not "rock about" "move" to cause the loose
feeling. Having spent about £100 converting to threadless in the hope it would cure for ever my
loose headset worries and woes, i appreciate any tips or advice given.

"John.w" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having changed to an ahead setup last month (judy tt forks, M-Part aheadset and threadles ahead
> stem) i still cannot get my headset

<<snip..>>

> Will the loose headset cups be the culprit, if so is there any way of securing them in the head
> tube so they do not "rock about" "move" to cause the loose feeling. Having spent about £100
> converting to threadless in the hope it would cure for ever my loose headset worries and woes, i
> appreciate any tips or advice given.

It is very possible that your loose cups are causing this loose headset sensation and clicking
feeling. A loose headset is a quick way to render a frame useless, especially on a mountain bike
unfortunately. You can try dimpling the cups, where they insert into the frame, with a punch. I've
done this with some success in the past. I've never had good luck with shimming of any kind, the
tolerances and forces just don't seem to allow it. The alternative is to have the head-tube
replaced by a frame builder, or just go buy a Taiwan alu frame for $100 from a shop. I wish I had
better news.

Cheers,

Scott..

"John.w" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The threaded headset when fitted in 96 was a very, very tight fit indeed (ritchey logic)(so tight
> i had to check it wasnt 1+ 1/8th) The bike is a 93 stumpjumper and the setup is all 1".

I'm not sure whether or not this is relevant to your current problem, but a '93 Stumpjumper
probably used a JIS headset. If you didn't have the frame reamed, it was probably out of spec for
the 1" Aheadset.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_h.html#headset

I've recently replaced the headset on my '92 Stumpjumper Comp, and the original was JIS.

> Will the loose headset cups be the culprit, if so is there any way of securing them in the head
> tube so they do not "rock about" "move" to cause the loose feeling.

Loctite 641 should work. http://www.loctite.com.au/industrial/PRODUCTS/641.htm

James Thomson

John-<< Having changed to an ahead setup last month (judy tt forks, M-Part aheadset and threadles
ahead stem) i still cannot get my headset tight, >><BR><BR> << but when fitting the threadless
headset i noticed that the top and bottom cups were a loose press fit, not loose enough to fall out,
but loose enough to insert by hand without need of any kind of press. >><BR><BR>

This is your problem, The cups are moving in the headtube.

<< if so is there any way of securing them in the head tube so they do not "rock about" "move" to
cause the loose feeling. >><BR><BR>

Yourt headtube has been enlarged. The best solution is getting Chris King headset cups but in their
oversized version, three oversized sizes, like .04, .06, .08 inch or something.

<<snip..>>

> Yourt headtube has been enlarged. The best solution is getting Chris King headset cups but in
> their oversized version, three oversized sizes, like
.04,
> .06, .08 inch or something.

Have you ever tried these Peter? I'd be interested to know how they worked out. Does the ovalization
effect still exist or does the press fit force the head tube somewhat round?? It's a shame to toss a
frame but I've never found a good repair for this until you mentioned the oversized headsets.

Cheers,

Scott..