General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Low-carb on a tight budget

Started by em · · Last activity · 32 posts · 519 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 November 2007
Last activity
17 November 2007
Original author
em
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
519
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing low-carb on a
    budget:

    "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i

    Quoted message said:

    We're talking at least six dollars a
    day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?

    Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    everyone has to say.

  2. "em" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing low-carb on a
    budget:

    "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i

    Quoted message said:

    We're talking at least six dollars a
    day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?

    Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    everyone has to say.

    The budget for our family of 3 is $75/week. I buy one "variety pack" of
    meat from a local butcher that contains 45# of chicken, beef, and pork of
    various cuts and sorts, for $74.95. The rest goes into fresh and frozen
    produce, dairy (including eggs), fish, spices/seasonings/condiments mostly,
    with the occasional - approx. monthly - package of sweetener, jar of the
    coffee substitute I drink, and nuts/seeds. We don't eat fruit for the most
    part, but I do have frozen berries in my "shop" (a big kitchen, actually,
    out of which I run my business) and will sometimes take a half-cup or so for
    a sauce or dessert. If the budget allows, when one of our foods goes on
    sale, I buy as much as I can even if it means buying less of something else.

    When we ate packaged, prepared, and carby foods, I couldn't shop for
    $75/week. Low carb is cheaper for us.

    --
    Sherry
    lowcarb.owly.net

  3. em said:

    Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    everyone has to say.

    It depends on how you were eating before; if you were eating a lot of
    processed junk, going low-carb with real food is cheaper.

    But that's really not about it being low-carb, that's about eating whole
    foods. And it's actually cheaper to eat high-carb whole foods... wheat
    berries are darned cheap; you can get 100 lbs of them for under $10 and
    that would stretch anyone's food budget. Grain is cheap; there's no
    getting around that - cutting it from your diet raises average food cost.

    On the other hand, there's some seriously expensive costs associated
    with not eating well. Even one day in the hospital more than wipes out
    a year's worth of carefully frugal grocery shopping; it gets a lot worse
    if you're out-of-work for health reasons.

    Even on high-carb, you need to get sufficient protein and the only
    really cheap source of protein is eggs whether you are low-carb or
    high-carb.

    IMO, the primary thing to save money low-carbing is a freezer; if you
    buy meats in bulk, you can save a LOT of money on them. I will have 3
    or 4 turkeys in my freezer before the holiday is over as this is the
    cheap time to buy them.

    I have been trying hard not to care about food cost since my heart
    attack, insisting on buying pasture-raised animal products which are
    more expensive, preferring organic fresh produce over regular, using
    avocado and coconut oils, etc. Some of the individual prices of stuff I
    buy freaks me out, but I've not been spending more overall.

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  4. UsenetID said:

    "em" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing low-carb on a
    budget:

    "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i

    Quoted message said:

    We're talking at least six dollars a
    day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?

    Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    everyone has to say.


    Eric appears fixated on the all meat approach to Atkins and low carb.

    Beef and pork average around 400 to 600 Cals per 6 ounce serving, so the
    2000 Calorie intake would require 30 to 20 ounces of beef/pork or call
    it roughly 1.5 pounds of meat per day.

    Fattier cuts of meat would reduce the required daily poundage by 20 to
    40%. Vegetable oil fats are a pretty cheap form of calories, also.

    The price range of this much meat can range from $2 / lb to $10 / lb so
    this could be $3.00 / day to $15.00 per day.

    The basic answer on expense as raised by Eric is "it depends".

    I tend to now ignore much of what is claimed about reasons to support
    oddish forms of low carb diets.

  5. UsenetID said:

    "em" <[email hidden]> wrote in messagenews:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing low-carb on a
    budget:

    Quoted message said:

    "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i

    Quoted message said:

    We're talking at least six dollars a
    day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?

    Quoted message said:

    Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    everyone has to say.

    The budget for our family of 3 is $75/week. I buy one "variety pack" of
    meat from a local butcher that contains 45# of chicken, beef, and pork of
    various cuts and sorts, for $74.95. The rest goes into fresh and frozen
    produce, dairy (including eggs), fish, spices/seasonings/condiments mostly,
    with the occasional - approx. monthly - package of sweetener, jar of the
    coffee substitute I drink, and nuts/seeds.

    How much of that stuff do you get for $.05? 🙂

    We don't eat fruit for the most

    Quoted message said:

    part, but I do have frozen berries in my "shop" (a big kitchen, actually,
    out of which I run my business) and will sometimes take a half-cup or so for
    a sauce or dessert. If the budget allows, when one of our foods goes on
    sale, I buy as much as I can even if it means buying less of something else.

    When we ate packaged, prepared, and carby foods, I couldn't shop for
    $75/week. Low carb is cheaper for us.

    --
    Sherry
    lowcarb.owly.net

    Yes, I was going to bring that up too. If you're an out of control
    blivitt eating everything is sight, you're going to eat a whole lot
    less when you're on LC. Not sure it will entirely offset the higher
    cost of real food, but it certainly is a factor. And it also depends
    on what kind of carby stuff you were eating.

    You can also reduce the cost by using more chicken and less beef,
    fish, etc. Chicken is on sale here for 40 to 50% off at one
    supermarket or another every week.

  6. em wrote:
    :: Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing
    :: low-carb on a budget:
    ::
    :: "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i
    ::: We're talking at least six dollars a
    ::: day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    ::: of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?
    ::
    ::
    :: Rather than blather, I thought I'd just open up the topic to see what
    :: everyone has to say.

    Worrying about cost where one's health is concerned is "penny-wise and pound
    foolish".

    Besides, when one gives up junky overly processed foods, the cost will go
    down because one typically will eat less (assuming one is losing weight).

  7. Jackie Patti said:

    I have been trying hard not to care about food cost since my heart
    attack, insisting on buying pasture-raised animal products which are
    more expensive, preferring organic fresh produce over regular, using
    avocado and coconut oils, etc. Some of the individual prices of
    stuff I buy freaks me out, but I've not been spending more overall.

    Jackie, I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you have your heart attack
    before eating low carb? If not, how did you change your diet?

    O

  8. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Worrying about cost where one's health is concerned is "penny-wise and
    pound foolish".

    I remember a time in my life, not so long ago, at a time that I happened to
    be on a low-cal diet. My budget was so tight at the time that, when buying
    food, one of my main buying considerations was calories per dollar.

    Quoted message said:


    Besides, when one gives up junky overly processed foods, the cost will go
    down because one typically will eat less (assuming one is losing weight).

    Junk food is pretty cheap. A loaf of bread. The dollar menu at McDonalds.
    Cheap microwave pizza. Ravioli on sale for eighty cents a can.

    There are a lot of inexpensive low-carb foods too. Canned meat on-sale, such
    as tuna, chicken, etc., goes well with salad & cheap lc dressing. I see tuna
    on-sale once and a while for $0.50/can. Minute steaks, 12 oz "steaks" are $1
    each. You can stock up on mayo when its on sale. Eggs keep for a while and
    they go on sale frequently. I see a lot of steak on-sale for $1.79 a pound,
    such as London Broil (I think that's what its called.) I rarely pay more
    than $3.99/pound for cheese. Buying bulk goods makes a big difference, too.
    I see five pound blocks of cheese on-sale for pretty cheap, and huge
    packages of five dozen hot dogs. "Back then", I didn't have the storage
    space for that kind of stuff.

    I almost always calculate out cost/pound when choosing food. A difference of
    ..05/oz in price comes out to .80/pound, for example. You really have to
    watch the cents/oz when you're buying sandwich meat and cheese. When money
    is tight, its tight. Down-to-the-penny shopping can make a big difference.

    I guess a lot of this depends on where you live -- I'm in Los Angeles, and I
    would guess that prices are higher here than they are in many other cities.

    Being broke sucks, by the way. I am a much happier person now that I am (and
    have been) working steady for a while.

    Mike

  9. em wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote
    ::
    :::
    ::: Worrying about cost where one's health is concerned is "penny-wise
    ::: and pound foolish".
    ::
    :: I remember a time in my life, not so long ago, at a time that I
    :: happened to be on a low-cal diet. My budget was so tight at the time
    :: that, when buying food, one of my main buying considerations was
    :: calories per dollar.

    I can understand...however, "penny-wise and pound foolish" means that while
    you're eating "low cost" the pounds are piling on.

    ::
    :::
    ::: Besides, when one gives up junky overly processed foods, the cost
    ::: will go down because one typically will eat less (assuming one is
    ::: losing weight).
    ::
    :: Junk food is pretty cheap. A loaf of bread. The dollar menu at
    :: McDonalds. Cheap microwave pizza. Ravioli on sale for eighty cents a
    :: can.
    ::

    Yep. Certainly appears cheap at first glance. However, eating lots of carbs
    tends to ramp appetite and people end up eating more food than really need.
    A loaf of bread might be cheap, but when you eat 4 sandwiches at a time, you
    go through it quickly while racking up a lot of calories. And you start to
    get fat. Later on, it will cost you more.

    :: There are a lot of inexpensive low-carb foods too. Canned meat
    :: on-sale, such as tuna, chicken, etc., goes well with salad & cheap
    :: lc dressing. I see tuna on-sale once and a while for $0.50/can.
    :: Minute steaks, 12 oz "steaks" are $1 each. You can stock up on mayo
    :: when its on sale. Eggs keep for a while and they go on sale
    :: frequently. I see a lot of steak on-sale for $1.79 a pound, such as
    :: London Broil (I think that's what its called.) I rarely pay more
    :: than $3.99/pound for cheese. Buying bulk goods makes a big
    :: difference, too. I see five pound blocks of cheese on-sale for
    :: pretty cheap, and huge packages of five dozen hot dogs. "Back then",
    :: I didn't have the storage space for that kind of stuff.

    Good news. You'll pay less and eat less.

    ::
    :: I almost always calculate out cost/pound when choosing food. A
    :: difference of .05/oz in price comes out to .80/pound, for example.
    :: You really have to watch the cents/oz when you're buying sandwich
    :: meat and cheese. When money is tight, its tight. Down-to-the-penny
    :: shopping can make a big difference.
    ::

    Yes, cost of food is one thing. But the affect it has on how much you want
    ot eat is another. I wonder if you knew then what you know now if your math
    might have been different.

    :: I guess a lot of this depends on where you live -- I'm in Los
    :: Angeles, and I would guess that prices are higher here than they are
    :: in many other cities.
    ::
    :: Being broke sucks, by the way. I am a much happier person now that I
    :: am (and have been) working steady for a while.

    I was broke for many, many years. It does suck.

  10. em said:

    Eric's comment made me want to bring up the subject of doing low-carb
    on a budget:

    "Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote i

    Quoted message said:

    We're talking at least six dollars a
    day if you try to eat 2000 calories in meat and fish with some level
    of variety. That adds up to some serious bread, doesn't it?

    $6/day is hardly "serious bread," is it? If you buy fast food or eat in
    restaurants or cafeterias *at all*, you're going to average more than
    that. If you can't squeeze out $200/month for the right food (I've been
    there), then that's a separate issue you need to get handled. I'm a
    cheap [censored], but I don't flinch at spending $200-300 on food for
    myself every month. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, after all.

    It's true that you *can* eat high-carb cheaper than low-carb, because
    grains tend to be very cheap (partly due to government subsidies), but
    most overweight people who come to low-carb aren't leaving behind a diet
    of ramen noodles and rice. More likely they're leaving behind pizza,
    pastries, subs, TV dinners, chips, and plenty of other expensive
    processed foods. Low-carb foods don't have to cost more than those
    processed high-carb foods, as long as you're willing to do your own
    preparation and cooking. If you're smart about it, you can have steak
    and salad at home cheaper than a Happy Meal or a big bag of Doritos.

    As someone else mentioned, eggs may have the best nutrition/cost ratio
    of any food there is. Even if you pay a little more for eggs that
    didn't come from a factory farm, you can get them for 20 cents or less
    each. Fry 4-5 in a pat of butter, and you've got breakfast for under
    $1. I get hamburger and pork sausage from a local butcher in bulk for
    well under $2/pound, so I can have a couple quarter-pounders with mayo
    and mustard for lunch for another $1 or less. I watch for sales on
    canned goods like mushrooms, so I can toss them into dishes like
    omelettes or meatloaf for maybe 10 cents/serving.

    Some things are harder to find cheap. Nuts are just plain expensive,
    but if you can find them in large quantities and raw, they're a lot
    cheaper than a few ounces roasted in a can--sometimes less than half the
    price. Roast a whole bunch and freeze them. Cheese can be expensive,
    but around here it goes on sale regularly, so when it does, I buy up
    several pounds and freeze them. I only pay $1-1.50/pound for cheese
    that way. Some salad fixin's don't keep long enough to stock up when
    they're on sale, so I tend to eat a lot of salads when lettuce is on
    sale, and then take a break from them when it's not. I get bored with
    salads if I eat them all the time anyway.

    It may also help to buy directly from local growers. A lot of people
    who sell eggs, meat, or garden produce do it because they enjoy it or
    have a surplus, so they don't necessarily charge much. Even if you end
    up paying as much as you would at the grocery store, you can get a much
    better product. There's also the option of having your own garden, if
    you have a place for it. $25 in seeds can turn into a heck of a lot of
    food.

    --
    Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz

  11. Ophelia said:
    Jackie Patti said:

    I have been trying hard not to care about food cost since my heart
    attack, insisting on buying pasture-raised animal products which are
    more expensive, preferring organic fresh produce over regular, using
    avocado and coconut oils, etc. Some of the individual prices of
    stuff I buy freaks me out, but I've not been spending more overall.

    Jackie, I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you have your heart attack
    before eating low carb? If not, how did you change your diet?

    I've been low-carbing for over a decade for bg control, but lost bg
    control subsequent to a pancreasitis attack, then had the heart attack,
    an unsuccessful angio and thus a bypass. I have changed my diet in a
    number of ways since then.

    First being that I record the carbs, protein and calories of every meal
    in order to dose the insulin. Insulin makes me much more aware of what
    I eat and cuts the snacking back a lot since I rarely am hungry enough
    to want an extra shot.

    I doubled my vegetable intake - I now buy 10-15 lbs of fresh produce
    every week and race to eat it before it goes bad. Most of what I buy is
    organic, considerably more expensive.

    I eat more fruit too, pretty much a serving of berries, melon, kiwi,
    half a pomegranate or such once or twice a day.

    I cut out eating quite so much low-carb junk food like the tortillas and
    rather make more things out of flax and almond meal.

    I've reduce the overall saturated fat in my diet because I am buying all
    pasture-raised meat and dairy now, which has healthier fats. It's more
    expensive, so I eat a bit less of this stuff.... though every meal still
    starts with a base of protein: meat, poultry, fish, eggs, yogurt,
    cottage cheese, raw hard cheese - all from pasture-raised animals so a
    lot more expensive than I'm used to.

    I've been pushing myself to eat fish more often. Mostly tuna and
    tilapia, rarely scallops cause they're expensive. I also take 6g fish
    oil daily.

    I threw out all the vegetable oils except olive oil and started buying
    avocado oil as well.

    I quit the Lindt 85% chocolate and started making coconut bark instead
    (I've posted the recipe here, so you can Google for it). This gets me
    coconut oil in my diet for it's purported health benefits without
    increasing my saturated fat since it's replacing cocoa butter.

    I used to drink a pot of coffee and at least 2 liters of Diet Pepsi
    daily, if not more. Now, I drink one cup of real coffee, then switch to
    decaf for the rest of the day. And for cold drinks, I drink
    stevia-sweetened lemonade or limeade. Sometimes dilute cranberry juice
    (real juice, not the "cocktail" stuff which is full of sugar).

    I also take a multivitamin, B-complex, pantothenic acid and niacin daily
    now aside from my prescription meds. I count the supplements in my food
    budget, though not the medications.

    The thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is that I *know* I am
    buying more expensive meats, veggies, fruits, dairy products, eggs and
    buying more supplements, but am not spending more money overall than I
    was doing before. It's hard for me to believe I was spending *that*
    much on Diet Pepsi and low-carb tortillas...

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  12. Jackie Patti said:

    I've been low-carbing for over a decade for bg control, but lost bg
    control subsequent to a pancreasitis attack, then had the heart
    attack, an unsuccessful angio and thus a bypass. I have changed my
    diet in a number of ways since then.

    Was the heart attack directly attributable to the pancreasitis? When you
    say you had been lcing for the bg control, are you diabetic?

    Sorry if I am being too blunt but this fascinates me. If you prefer not to
    repond I will undestand.

    I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know if there
    was a problem?

    First being that I record the carbs, protein and calories of every

    Quoted message said:

    meal in order to dose the insulin. Insulin makes me much more aware
    of what I eat and cuts the snacking back a lot since I rarely am
    hungry enough to want an extra shot.

    I doubled my vegetable intake - I now buy 10-15 lbs of fresh produce
    every week and race to eat it before it goes bad. Most of what I buy
    is organic, considerably more expensive.

    Quite! We buy everything we can, organic.

    Quoted message said:

    I eat more fruit too, pretty much a serving of berries, melon, kiwi,
    half a pomegranate or such once or twice a day.

    I cut out eating quite so much low-carb junk food like the tortillas
    and rather make more things out of flax and almond meal.

    I've reduce the overall saturated fat in my diet because I am buying
    all pasture-raised meat and dairy now, which has healthier fats. It's more
    expensive, so I eat a bit less of this stuff.... though
    every meal still starts with a base of protein: meat, poultry, fish,
    eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, raw hard cheese - all from
    pasture-raised animals so a lot more expensive than I'm used to.

    Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always choose
    organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture raised? I had
    thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although you have cut it down,
    not out.

    Quoted message said:

    I've been pushing myself to eat fish more often. Mostly tuna and
    tilapia, rarely scallops cause they're expensive. I also take 6g fish
    oil daily.

    I threw out all the vegetable oils except olive oil and started buying
    avocado oil as well.

    I quit the Lindt 85% chocolate and started making coconut bark instead
    (I've posted the recipe here, so you can Google for it). This gets me
    coconut oil in my diet for it's purported health benefits without
    increasing my saturated fat since it's replacing cocoa butter.

    I shall search for it, thank you🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I used to drink a pot of coffee and at least 2 liters of Diet Pepsi
    daily, if not more. Now, I drink one cup of real coffee, then switch
    to decaf for the rest of the day. And for cold drinks, I drink
    stevia-sweetened lemonade or limeade. Sometimes dilute cranberry
    juice (real juice, not the "cocktail" stuff which is full of sugar).

    I also take a multivitamin, B-complex, pantothenic acid and niacin
    daily now aside from my prescription meds. I count the supplements
    in my food budget, though not the medications.

    I don't know what the latter two are, but we take a multivit, B complex, and
    Cod liver oil.

    Quoted message said:

    The thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is that I *know* I am
    buying more expensive meats, veggies, fruits, dairy products, eggs and
    buying more supplements, but am not spending more money overall than I
    was doing before. It's hard for me to believe I was spending *that*
    much on Diet Pepsi and low-carb tortillas...

    I can only think that the junk doesn't feed you and you need more to feel
    satisfied.

    Well done Jackie. I think you are very clever to do all that. I hope it
    means your health is improving or at least stable.

    Many thanks

    O

  13. Ophelia said:
    Jackie Patti said:

    I've been low-carbing for over a decade for bg control, but lost bg
    control subsequent to a pancreasitis attack, then had the heart
    attack, an unsuccessful angio and thus a bypass. I have changed my
    diet in a number of ways since then.

    Was the heart attack directly attributable to the pancreasitis? When you
    say you had been lcing for the bg control, are you diabetic?

    Yes, I've been a T2 diabetic for almost 2 decades now.

    I am the one who has attributed the heart attack to the diabetes being
    uncontrolled. Diabetics have the same chance of having a heart attack
    as someone who has already had one. High bg gycosylates serum proteins,
    making them sticky and causing plaque buildup. And high bg screws up
    your lipids... I had elevated LDL and trigylcerides in the hospital
    until my bg was controlled, then they were cut in half and my LDL came
    in at under 60.

    I'm a 45-yr-old woman, so having a heart attack was kinda not in the
    odds for me yet, which is why I think it was the elevated bg as that is
    my primary risk factor.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry if I am being too blunt but this fascinates me. If you prefer not to
    repond I will undestand.

    I've already discussed it all over Usenet. In short, my heart attack
    likely occured because I was scared of insulin and didn't treat my high
    bg - so it was caused by stupidity.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know if there
    was a problem?

    It's hard to say.

    If your bg is very out-of-control, you tend to have certain symptoms -
    you're thirsty a lot and also need to pee a lot. There's also a
    tendency towards infections like boils and yeast infections and such.
    You have to be pretty seriously elevated to have those symptoms though.

    Doctors tend to screen by testing fasting blood glucose. The problem
    is, the way the diseases progresses is by losing blood glucose control
    after meals first, so the fasting numbers don't get high until you're
    already fairly screwed up. Most diabetics already have damage due to
    diabetes before they're diagnosed as it's symptoms that cause a doctor
    to look further.

    Lots more info about diabetes here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

    If you are concerned, you can buy a cheap meter and test for a week or
    two to see how you do. In general, the meters are cheap, often free,
    it's the test strips that are expensive. Walmart has a very cheap
    storebrand meter with cheap strips.

    Well-controlled diabetics test after meals to see what foods raise their
    bg. There's a good page about testing here:
    http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

    Given that the main thing that lowers bg and improves insulin resistance
    in most T2s is a low-carb diet and exercise, you're likely doing most of
    what needs to be done anyways.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've reduce the overall saturated fat in my diet because I am buying
    all pasture-raised meat and dairy now, which has healthier fats. It's more
    expensive, so I eat a bit less of this stuff.... though
    every meal still starts with a base of protein: meat, poultry, fish,
    eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, raw hard cheese - all from
    pasture-raised animals so a lot more expensive than I'm used to.

    Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always choose
    organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture raised? I had
    thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although you have cut it down,
    not out.

    I think many organic regulations require the animals to have *some*
    access to pasture, but that's not necessarily pasture-raised.

    I have a freezer so can mostly buy meat from farmers. With cheese and
    other dairy products, I've had to research to find out which brands are
    pasture-raised. It's usually tiny organic brands no one's ever heard
    of. 😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also take a multivitamin, B-complex, pantothenic acid and niacin
    daily now aside from my prescription meds. I count the supplements
    in my food budget, though not the medications.

    I don't know what the latter two are, but we take a multivit, B complex, and
    Cod liver oil.

    The latter two are specific to heart disease; they're higher doses of
    two individual B vitamins.

    I tried the cod liver oil as it would've replaced 6 fish oil tablets and
    2 vitamin D tablets. But it makes me retch; I can't stand the stuff.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is that I *know* I am
    buying more expensive meats, veggies, fruits, dairy products, eggs and
    buying more supplements, but am not spending more money overall than I
    was doing before. It's hard for me to believe I was spending *that*
    much on Diet Pepsi and low-carb tortillas...

    I can only think that the junk doesn't feed you and you need more to feel
    satisfied.

    Could be. Before the heart attack, I could eat two small pizzas,
    spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni baked on a low-carb tortilla.
    When I started recording things, I discovered those suckers had a
    thousand calories each. I still have them now-and-then, but one is
    quite sufficient!

    I found when I started eating more veggies, I was craving more and more
    veggies for a while. It got kind of ridiculous how much vegetables I
    was eating while still wanting more - so I do suspect I might have had
    some sort of deficiencies.

    Quoted message said:

    Well done Jackie. I think you are very clever to do all that. I hope it
    means your health is improving or at least stable.

    I doubt I can credit the diet; I'll improve as time passes anyways as it
    takes time to heal up from surgeries. But I'm rather motivated to do
    everything that will help right now, so have made lots of dietary changes.

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  14. Jackie Patti said:
    Ophelia said:
    Jackie Patti said:

    I've been low-carbing for over a decade for bg control, but lost bg
    control subsequent to a pancreasitis attack, then had the heart
    attack, an unsuccessful angio and thus a bypass. I have changed my
    diet in a number of ways since then.

    Was the heart attack directly attributable to the pancreasitis? When you
    say you had been lcing for the bg control, are you diabetic?

    Yes, I've been a T2 diabetic for almost 2 decades now.

    I am the one who has attributed the heart attack to the diabetes being
    uncontrolled. Diabetics have the same chance of having a heart attack
    as someone who has already had one. High bg gycosylates serum
    proteins, making them sticky and causing plaque buildup. And high bg
    screws up your lipids... I had elevated LDL and trigylcerides in the
    hospital until my bg was controlled, then they were cut in half and my LDL
    came
    in at under 60.

    I'm a 45-yr-old woman, so having a heart attack was kinda not in the
    odds for me yet, which is why I think it was the elevated bg as that
    is my primary risk factor.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry if I am being too blunt but this fascinates me. If you prefer
    not to repond I will undestand.

    I've already discussed it all over Usenet. In short, my heart attack
    likely occured because I was scared of insulin and didn't treat my
    high bg - so it was caused by stupidity.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know
    if there was a problem?

    It's hard to say.

    If your bg is very out-of-control, you tend to have certain symptoms -
    you're thirsty a lot and also need to pee a lot. There's also a
    tendency towards infections like boils and yeast infections and such.
    You have to be pretty seriously elevated to have those symptoms
    though.
    Doctors tend to screen by testing fasting blood glucose. The problem
    is, the way the diseases progresses is by losing blood glucose control
    after meals first, so the fasting numbers don't get high until you're
    already fairly screwed up. Most diabetics already have damage due to
    diabetes before they're diagnosed as it's symptoms that cause a doctor
    to look further.

    Lots more info about diabetes here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

    If you are concerned, you can buy a cheap meter and test for a week or
    two to see how you do. In general, the meters are cheap, often free,
    it's the test strips that are expensive. Walmart has a very cheap
    storebrand meter with cheap strips.

    Well-controlled diabetics test after meals to see what foods raise
    their bg. There's a good page about testing here:
    http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

    Given that the main thing that lowers bg and improves insulin
    resistance in most T2s is a low-carb diet and exercise, you're likely
    doing most of what needs to be done anyways.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've reduce the overall saturated fat in my diet because I am buying
    all pasture-raised meat and dairy now, which has healthier fats.
    It's more expensive, so I eat a bit less of this stuff.... though
    every meal still starts with a base of protein: meat, poultry, fish,
    eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, raw hard cheese - all from
    pasture-raised animals so a lot more expensive than I'm used to.

    Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always
    choose organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture
    raised? I had thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although
    you have cut it down, not out.

    I think many organic regulations require the animals to have *some*
    access to pasture, but that's not necessarily pasture-raised.

    I have a freezer so can mostly buy meat from farmers. With cheese and
    other dairy products, I've had to research to find out which brands
    are pasture-raised. It's usually tiny organic brands no one's ever
    heard of. 😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also take a multivitamin, B-complex, pantothenic acid and niacin
    daily now aside from my prescription meds. I count the supplements
    in my food budget, though not the medications.

    I don't know what the latter two are, but we take a multivit, B
    complex, and Cod liver oil.

    The latter two are specific to heart disease; they're higher doses of
    two individual B vitamins.

    I tried the cod liver oil as it would've replaced 6 fish oil tablets
    and 2 vitamin D tablets. But it makes me retch; I can't stand the
    stuff.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is that I *know* I am
    buying more expensive meats, veggies, fruits, dairy products, eggs
    and buying more supplements, but am not spending more money overall
    than I was doing before. It's hard for me to believe I was
    spending *that* much on Diet Pepsi and low-carb tortillas...

    I can only think that the junk doesn't feed you and you need more to
    feel satisfied.

    Could be. Before the heart attack, I could eat two small pizzas,
    spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni baked on a low-carb
    tortilla. When I started recording things, I discovered those
    suckers had a thousand calories each. I still have them
    now-and-then, but one is quite sufficient!

    I found when I started eating more veggies, I was craving more and
    more veggies for a while. It got kind of ridiculous how much
    vegetables I was eating while still wanting more - so I do suspect I might
    have had
    some sort of deficiencies.

    Quoted message said:

    Well done Jackie. I think you are very clever to do all that. I
    hope it means your health is improving or at least stable.

    I doubt I can credit the diet; I'll improve as time passes anyways as
    it takes time to heal up from surgeries. But I'm rather motivated to
    do everything that will help right now, so have made lots of dietary
    changes.

    Many, many thanks Jackie for all that information!!!!!

    I shall certainly look into those sites and will keep this mail for
    reference!!

    best

    O

  15. Ophelia said:

    I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know if
    there was a problem?

    I think it's a very useful thing to know. If you're overweight, there's
    a good chance that your blood sugar isn't well controlled. If your BG
    doesn't come back to normal within two hours after eating, that means
    either A) your pancreas isn't producing as much insulin as it should, or
    B) it's producing insulin like crazy, but you're insulin resistant
    enough that all that insulin isn't able to convince your cells to pull
    the glucose out of your blood. The latter may eventually wear your
    pancreas out to the point of Type II diabetes.

    A doctor can do a fasting BG test, but for $50-$100 in equipment and
    strips you can test yourself multiple times: fasting, when waking up,
    one hour and two hours after meals, after exercise, etc. That'll give
    you a much better picture of how your body handled glucose than a single
    test will. You can also test after foods like sugar alcohols, which
    seem to cause a BG spike in some people and not others, to see how they
    affect you.

    When I started testing, just seeing the numbers was the shock to my
    system that I needed to make me realize what I was doing to my health.
    I could no longer tell myself it wouldn't hurt to have one more pizza
    binge, that I could put off the diet tomorrow, because it wasn't just
    about weight loss anymore, but about quality of life and making sure I
    won't be getting anything amputated or going blind. When you look at
    that meter and see 190 two hours after a carby meal, knowing that
    anything over 140 means organ damage is occurring *right now*, that's
    hard to brush off. On the other hand, seeing a nice healthy 89 two
    hours after a great low-carb lasagna (with Swiss chard for noodles) is
    really gratifying.

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always
    choose organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture
    raised? I had thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although you
    have cut it down, not out.

    Saturated fat isn't bad for you like we've been taught, but it's not
    especially good for you either. It really depends on what else you're
    eating, which is why some studies made saturated fats look bad: people
    were eating them in combination with too many carbs and not enough
    omega-3 fatty acids.

    Your body knows how to convert saturated fat into unsaturated, which is
    good, because saturated fats aren't very flexible (think butter compared
    to olive oil), so you don't want a lot of them making up your cell
    membranes. However, this process requires certain enzymes, and the
    production process that leads to those enzymes begins with omega-3 fatty
    acids. If you're eating the typical modern diet that has an
    omega-6/omega-3 ratio of twenty or more to one, you may not produce
    enough of those enzymes, and your cell membranes will be stiffer than
    would be best. This can worsen insulin resistance, among other things,
    because it makes it harder for the receptors in the membrane to move
    around and do things.

    So if you're eating right otherwise, saturated fats aren't a threat the
    way they are to the grain eaters, because you'll be able to use them
    well. If you're eating low-carb, you're almost automatically going to
    have a better omega-6/omega-3 ratio than "normal", because most grains
    are very high in omega-6. Fish oil and sardines can improve the ratio
    even more, and as Jackie said, pasture raised animal products are better
    than those from grain-fed animals.

    Trans-fats are the only fat that's truly harmful in all cases. Like
    saturated fat, they're inflexible, but unlike saturated fat, they
    haven't been around long enough for us to evolve a mechanism for
    converting them into a flexible form. So the body just plugs them into
    the cell walls as-is and hopes for the best, especially if you're short
    on healthy fats. You really don't want to consume *any* trans-fats,
    ever, if you can possibly avoid it.

    (Most of this is condensed from Protein Power Life Plan, by the way; so
    grab a copy of that for a detailed explanation.)

    --
    Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz

  16. Aaron, many thanks for all this good advice. I have saved it along with
    Jackie's advice.

    I have just posted to Jackie to have a wee look at the diabetes org in Uk.

    As I have said to her, I have tested myself on that group and I am indeed
    at high risk.

    After all the good stuff I have read here, I am a wee bit worried about
    their suggestions for food!

    You might enjoy <?> reading it and I would appreciate your comments too

    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Recipes/Shepherds_Pie/?nt=1

    Quoted message said:
    Ophelia said:

    I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know if
    there was a problem?

    I think it's a very useful thing to know. If you're overweight,
    there's a good chance that your blood sugar isn't well controlled.
    If your BG doesn't come back to normal within two hours after eating,
    that means either A) your pancreas isn't producing as much insulin as
    it should, or B) it's producing insulin like crazy, but you're
    insulin resistant enough that all that insulin isn't able to convince
    your cells to pull the glucose out of your blood. The latter may
    eventually wear your pancreas out to the point of Type II diabetes.

    A doctor can do a fasting BG test, but for $50-$100 in equipment and
    strips you can test yourself multiple times: fasting, when waking up,
    one hour and two hours after meals, after exercise, etc. That'll give
    you a much better picture of how your body handled glucose than a
    single test will. You can also test after foods like sugar alcohols,
    which seem to cause a BG spike in some people and not others, to see
    how they affect you.

    When I started testing, just seeing the numbers was the shock to my
    system that I needed to make me realize what I was doing to my health.
    I could no longer tell myself it wouldn't hurt to have one more pizza
    binge, that I could put off the diet tomorrow, because it wasn't just
    about weight loss anymore, but about quality of life and making sure I
    won't be getting anything amputated or going blind. When you look at
    that meter and see 190 two hours after a carby meal, knowing that
    anything over 140 means organ damage is occurring *right now*, that's
    hard to brush off. On the other hand, seeing a nice healthy 89 two
    hours after a great low-carb lasagna (with Swiss chard for noodles) is
    really gratifying.

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always
    choose organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture
    raised? I had thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although
    you have cut it down, not out.

    Saturated fat isn't bad for you like we've been taught, but it's not
    especially good for you either. It really depends on what else you're
    eating, which is why some studies made saturated fats look bad: people
    were eating them in combination with too many carbs and not enough
    omega-3 fatty acids.

    Your body knows how to convert saturated fat into unsaturated, which
    is good, because saturated fats aren't very flexible (think butter
    compared to olive oil), so you don't want a lot of them making up
    your cell membranes. However, this process requires certain enzymes,
    and the production process that leads to those enzymes begins with
    omega-3 fatty acids. If you're eating the typical modern diet that
    has an omega-6/omega-3 ratio of twenty or more to one, you may not
    produce enough of those enzymes, and your cell membranes will be
    stiffer than would be best. This can worsen insulin resistance,
    among other things, because it makes it harder for the receptors in
    the membrane to move around and do things.

    So if you're eating right otherwise, saturated fats aren't a threat
    the way they are to the grain eaters, because you'll be able to use
    them well. If you're eating low-carb, you're almost automatically
    going to have a better omega-6/omega-3 ratio than "normal", because
    most grains are very high in omega-6. Fish oil and sardines can
    improve the ratio even more, and as Jackie said, pasture raised
    animal products are better than those from grain-fed animals.

    Trans-fats are the only fat that's truly harmful in all cases. Like
    saturated fat, they're inflexible, but unlike saturated fat, they
    haven't been around long enough for us to evolve a mechanism for
    converting them into a flexible form. So the body just plugs them
    into the cell walls as-is and hopes for the best, especially if
    you're short on healthy fats. You really don't want to consume *any*
    trans-fats, ever, if you can possibly avoid it.

    (Most of this is condensed from Protein Power Life Plan, by the way;
    so grab a copy of that for a detailed explanation.)

  17. It's my opinion that diabetics should never eat potatoes (or pasta or
    cereal, perhaps a bit of LC bread once in a while). That recipe has 53 g
    carb/serving which is more than a lot of people eat in a whole day. They
    are obviously still stuck in the low fat/high carb syndrome as is the
    American Diabetes Association. Fat does not raise BG, carbs do. Avoid
    their badvice.

    Ophelia wrote:
    | Aaron, many thanks for all this good advice. I have saved it along
    | with
    | Jackie's advice.
    |
    | I have just posted to Jackie to have a wee look at the diabetes org
    | in Uk.
    |
    | As I have said to her, I have tested myself on that group and I am
    | indeed
    | at high risk.
    |
    | After all the good stuff I have read here, I am a wee bit worried
    | about
    | their suggestions for food!
    |
    | You might enjoy <?> reading it and I would appreciate your comments
    | too
    |
    |
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Recipes/Shepherds_Pie/?nt=1
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    || "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> writes:
    ||
    ||| I don't have a clue what my bg is. Ought I to know, or would know
    ||| if there was a problem?
    ||
    || I think it's a very useful thing to know. If you're overweight,
    || there's a good chance that your blood sugar isn't well controlled.
    || If your BG doesn't come back to normal within two hours after eating,
    || that means either A) your pancreas isn't producing as much insulin as
    || it should, or B) it's producing insulin like crazy, but you're
    || insulin resistant enough that all that insulin isn't able to convince
    || your cells to pull the glucose out of your blood. The latter may
    || eventually wear your pancreas out to the point of Type II diabetes.
    ||
    || A doctor can do a fasting BG test, but for $50-$100 in equipment and
    || strips you can test yourself multiple times: fasting, when waking up,
    || one hour and two hours after meals, after exercise, etc. That'll
    || give you a much better picture of how your body handled glucose than
    || a single test will. You can also test after foods like sugar
    || alcohols, which seem to cause a BG spike in some people and not
    || others, to see how they affect you.
    ||
    || When I started testing, just seeing the numbers was the shock to my
    || system that I needed to make me realize what I was doing to my
    || health. I could no longer tell myself it wouldn't hurt to have one
    || more pizza binge, that I could put off the diet tomorrow, because it
    || wasn't just about weight loss anymore, but about quality of life and
    || making sure I won't be getting anything amputated or going blind.
    || When you look at that meter and see 190 two hours after a carby
    || meal, knowing that anything over 140 means organ damage is occurring
    || *right now*, that's hard to brush off. On the other hand, seeing a
    || nice healthy 89 two hours after a great low-carb lasagna (with Swiss
    || chard for noodles) is really gratifying.
    ||
    ||| Hmm... we don't have that recorded on our food, although I always
    ||| choose organic. I wonder if that has anything to do with pasture
    ||| raised? I had thought saturated fat was the healthy one, although
    ||| you have cut it down, not out.
    ||
    || Saturated fat isn't bad for you like we've been taught, but it's not
    || especially good for you either. It really depends on what else
    || you're eating, which is why some studies made saturated fats look
    || bad: people were eating them in combination with too many carbs and
    || not enough omega-3 fatty acids.
    ||
    || Your body knows how to convert saturated fat into unsaturated, which
    || is good, because saturated fats aren't very flexible (think butter
    || compared to olive oil), so you don't want a lot of them making up
    || your cell membranes. However, this process requires certain enzymes,
    || and the production process that leads to those enzymes begins with
    || omega-3 fatty acids. If you're eating the typical modern diet that
    || has an omega-6/omega-3 ratio of twenty or more to one, you may not
    || produce enough of those enzymes, and your cell membranes will be
    || stiffer than would be best. This can worsen insulin resistance,
    || among other things, because it makes it harder for the receptors in
    || the membrane to move around and do things.
    ||
    || So if you're eating right otherwise, saturated fats aren't a threat
    || the way they are to the grain eaters, because you'll be able to use
    || them well. If you're eating low-carb, you're almost automatically
    || going to have a better omega-6/omega-3 ratio than "normal", because
    || most grains are very high in omega-6. Fish oil and sardines can
    || improve the ratio even more, and as Jackie said, pasture raised
    || animal products are better than those from grain-fed animals.
    ||
    || Trans-fats are the only fat that's truly harmful in all cases. Like
    || saturated fat, they're inflexible, but unlike saturated fat, they
    || haven't been around long enough for us to evolve a mechanism for
    || converting them into a flexible form. So the body just plugs them
    || into the cell walls as-is and hopes for the best, especially if
    || you're short on healthy fats. You really don't want to consume *any*
    || trans-fats, ever, if you can possibly avoid it.
    ||
    || (Most of this is condensed from Protein Power Life Plan, by the way;
    || so grab a copy of that for a detailed explanation.)

  18. FOB said:

    It's my opinion that diabetics should never eat potatoes (or pasta or
    cereal, perhaps a bit of LC bread once in a while). That recipe has
    53 g carb/serving which is more than a lot of people eat in a whole
    day. They are obviously still stuck in the low fat/high carb
    syndrome as is the American Diabetes Association. Fat does not raise
    BG, carbs do. Avoid their badvice.

    Yes I can see that.

    Did you look at the rest of the recipes or the advice?

  19. Looks just like the stupid advice from the ADA:

    ". At each meal include starchy carbohydrate foods such as bread, pasta,
    chapattis, potatoes, yam, noodles, rice and cereals. The amount of
    carbohydrate you eat is important to control your blood glucose levels. All
    varieties are fine but try to include those that are more slowly absorbed
    (have a lower glycaemic index) as these won’t affect your blood glucose
    levels as much. Better choices include:
    • Pasta
    • Basmati or easy cook rice
    • Grainy breads such as granary, pumpernickel and rye
    • New potatoes, sweet potato and yam
    • Porridge oats, All Bran and natural muesli."

    All things a diabetic should avoid.

    And:
    " Reduce salt in your diet to 6g or less a day – more than this can raise
    your blood pressure, which can lead to stroke and heart disease. Limit the
    amount of processed foods you eat and try flavouring foods with herbs and
    spices instead of salt.

    A very few people with high blood pressure are sensitive to salt. It's
    never good to overdo anything, but a normal amount of salt is fine and even
    necessary. There is no proof that it "causes" high blood pressure. Of
    course, many prepared foods, like canned soups, contain far more salt than
    is necessary to make them taste good. If you eat fresh natural foods, and
    make your own soups, etc., salt will never be a problem.

    Their BG goals appear a bit high as well.

    Ophelia wrote:
    |
    | Yes I can see that.
    |
    | Did you look at the rest of the recipes or the advice?

  20. FOB said:

    Looks just like the stupid advice from the ADA:

    ". At each meal include starchy carbohydrate foods such as bread,
    pasta, chapattis, potatoes, yam, noodles, rice and cereals. The
    amount of carbohydrate you eat is important to control your blood
    glucose levels. All varieties are fine but try to include those that
    are more slowly absorbed (have a lower glycaemic index) as these
    won’t affect your blood glucose levels as much. Better choices
    include:
    • Pasta
    • Basmati or easy cook rice
    • Grainy breads such as granary, pumpernickel and rye
    • New potatoes, sweet potato and yam
    • Porridge oats, All Bran and natural muesli."

    All things a diabetic should avoid.

    Yes! That is what I have learned here. I can remember one woman I knew who
    had a biscuit (cookie) on a regular basis *because she was diabetic*

    I am not diabetic (so far as I know) but i also know that I am at risk. I
    intend therefore to eat in the way I have learned here, in the hope I shall
    avoid diabetes!

    Quoted message said:

    And:
    " Reduce salt in your diet to 6g or less a day – more than this can
    raise your blood pressure, which can lead to stroke and heart
    disease. Limit the amount of processed foods you eat and try
    flavouring foods with herbs and spices instead of salt.

    A very few people with high blood pressure are sensitive to salt.
    It's never good to overdo anything, but a normal amount of salt is
    fine and even necessary. There is no proof that it "causes" high
    blood pressure. Of course, many prepared foods, like canned soups,
    contain far more salt than is necessary to make them taste good. If
    you eat fresh natural foods, and make your own soups, etc., salt will
    never be a problem.

    Their BG goals appear a bit high as well.

    Thank you FOB! I appreciate your input!

    Quoted message said:


    Ophelia said:


    Yes I can see that.

    Did you look at the rest of the recipes or the advice?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.