Luc Viau Bicycle Accident

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jkeenan, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Jkeenan

    Jkeenan Guest

    Does anyone have a link to the accident involving unltacyclist Luc Viau?

    thanks

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. No Joe I don't, but if you find out something, please post ASAP. Luc and me go back a long time. He
    works on my computer and we have cycled together a lot. I've been trying to get a hold of him
    lately, and your post may be the reason why, he hasn't responded. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl.
    (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have a link to the accident involving unltacyclist Luc Viau?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Joe

  3. James

    James Guest

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have a link to the accident involving unltacyclist Luc Viau?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Joe

    Per Jim Solanick:

    "Luc Viau is dealing with a very serious accident on Tuesday Feb. 25. He was struck by a Waste
    Management truck on his way to work. He sustained two broken legs and a broken collarbone among
    other less serious injuries. If you know Luc, he rode 35000 miles last year I believe and won the
    UMCA mileage overall title. He is in the intensive care area of DelRay Medical Center but I do not
    know the phone number."

  4. R.White

    R.White Guest

    [email protected] (James) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does anyone have a link to the accident involving unltacyclist Luc Viau?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Joe
    >
    > Per Jim Solanick:
    >
    > "Luc Viau is dealing with a very serious accident on Tuesday Feb. 25. He was struck by a Waste
    > Management truck on his way to work. He sustained two broken legs and a broken collarbone among
    > other less serious injuries. If you know Luc, he rode 35000 miles last year I believe and won the
    > UMCA mileage overall title. He is in the intensive care area of DelRay Medical Center but I do not
    > know the phone number."

    http://www.delraymedicalctr.com/delraymedicalctr/default.asp

    Email him through their Patient EMail service on the website.

  5. [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (James) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Does anyone have a link to the accident involving unltacyclist Luc Viau?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >
    > > > Joe
    > >
    > > Per Jim Solanick:
    > >
    > > "Luc Viau is dealing with a very serious accident on Tuesday Feb. 25. He was struck by a Waste
    > > Management truck on his way to work. He sustained two broken legs and a broken collarbone among
    > > other less serious injuries. If you know Luc, he rode 35000 miles last year I believe and won
    > > the UMCA mileage overall title. He is in the intensive care area of DelRay Medical Center but I
    > > do not know the phone number."
    >

    > http://www.delraymedicalctr.com/delraymedicalctr/default.asp
    >
    > Email him through their Patient EMail service on the website.

    Sorry to hear about Luc. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that Luc rode his first century on the WPBBC
    Lake-O ride. It was a miserably windy day. I was driving sag. Luc was the last man out on the road
    and it was almost getting dark. At the 85 mile mark I saw him stopped on the side of the road. He
    said he could not go any farther. When he said it would have been his first century I said its not
    over yet. There was no way we could let him quit this close to 100 miles. He had been fighting a
    tough head wind so I had him turn around and go with the wind. I drove up the road 5 miles and
    waited for him to ride by. As he came by we stood on the side of the road cheering him on. I then
    drove up the road another 5 miles and again we went to cheering as he went by. One more five mile
    jump and we gave him a rousing reception. I took the sag wagon sign off of the truck and signed it
    as his Official Certificate of Completion. It was pretty cool to have been a part of his first
    century. I never would have guessed he would have ridden so many miles since. I wonder if he still
    has that "certificate"

    GET WELL SOON LUC.....

    Peter Spirito

    Peter M Spirito

  6. Peter knowing ole Luc like I do, I bet he does still have that certificate and it's probably hanging
    on his wall somewhere! I met him originally at Motorola (1997) and he was close to, if not over 300
    lbs, with a stomach that hung completely over his belt. He did the Stark ride event, that same year
    and was humiliated that an ole geezer (Me) on a recumbent no less, spanked him pretty good at the
    event. He had a rather in-expensive Mountain bike and I had a $3000.00 recumbent. He then GOT ZONED
    IN AND FOCUSED COMPLETELY into cycling and has put more miles in 1 recent year, than I have in 10
    years! In recent encounters with him, that spanking CHANGED and I got put into my place, period! (I
    have never been SO HAPPY AND PROUD to get my recumbo butt kicked by such a Great person! - Who also
    nursed my computer back to health on many occasions) Luc is one of the most safe riding cyclist I
    know. He clearly rides SMART AND HAS SAFE AWARENESS AROUND HIM AT ALL TIMES. I don't know the
    specifics, BUT I'm willing to bet, the fault of this terrible accident, dose not lie on him. I sent
    the hospital an e-mail addressed to him and I'm hoping to find out if he can have any visitors yet
    and if so, what the hours are. I plan to go see and harass my GOOD Friend, ASAP!!! EZ Biker :)
    Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Peter M Spirito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry to hear about Luc. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that Luc rode his first century on the WPBBC
    > Lake-O ride. It was a miserably windy day. I was driving sag. Luc was the last man out on the road
    > and it was almost getting dark. At the 85 mile mark I saw him stopped on the side of the road. He
    > said he could not go any farther. When he said it would have been his first century I said its not
    > over yet. There was no way we could let him quit this close to 100 miles. He had been fighting a
    > tough head wind so I had him turn around and go with the wind. I drove up the road 5 miles and
    > waited for him to ride by. As he came by we stood on the side of the road cheering him on. I then
    > drove up the road another 5 miles and again we went to cheering as he went by. One more five mile
    > jump and we gave him a rousing reception. I took the sag wagon sign off of the truck and signed it
    > as his Official Certificate of Completion. It was pretty cool to have been a part of his first
    > century. I never would have guessed he would have ridden so many miles since. I wonder if he still
    > has that "certificate"
    >
    > GET WELL SOON LUC.....
    >
    > Peter Spirito
    >
    > Peter M Spirito

  7. Boy do I remember that mountain bike..After Luc got into the van we loaded up his bike. It must have
    weighed 100 pounds and had these big knobby tires.

    I heard from another sag driver that during the ride Luc's legs were cramping so bad he would stop
    at convience stores along the route and buy a bag of ice and stuff his shorts with the ice to
    relieve the cramping pain.

    Luc is somewhat of a hero to me in that I had never ridden a century in all of my years on a bike.
    And I was secretely embarrassed about
    it....If Luc could do it then I could do it.......And I did.......And I will be doing the 7 day Bike
    Florida next weekend.

    Give Luc my best....

    "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Peter knowing ole Luc like I do, I bet he does still have that certificate and it's probably
    > hanging on his wall somewhere! I met him originally at Motorola (1997) and he was close to, if not
    > over 300 lbs, with a stomach that hung completely over his belt. He did the Stark ride event, that
    > same year and was humiliated that an ole geezer (Me) on a recumbent no less, spanked him pretty
    > good at the event. He had a rather in-expensive Mountain bike and I had a $3000.00 recumbent. He
    > then GOT ZONED IN AND FOCUSED COMPLETELY into cycling and has put more miles in 1 recent year,
    > than I have in 10 years! In recent encounters with him, that spanking CHANGED and I got put into
    > my place, period! (I have never been SO HAPPY AND PROUD to get my recumbo butt kicked by such a
    > Great person! - Who also nursed my computer back to health on many occasions) Luc is one of the
    > most safe riding cyclist I know. He clearly rides SMART AND HAS SAFE AWARENESS AROUND HIM AT ALL
    > TIMES. I don't know the specifics, BUT I'm willing to bet, the fault of this terrible accident,
    > dose not lie on him. I sent the hospital an e-mail addressed to him and I'm hoping to find out if
    > he can have any visitors yet and if so, what the hours are. I plan to go see and harass my GOOD
    > Friend, ASAP!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    > "Peter M Spirito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sorry to hear about Luc. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that Luc rode his first century on the
    > > WPBBC Lake-O ride. It was a miserably windy day. I was driving sag. Luc was the last man out on
    > > the road and it was almost getting dark. At the 85 mile mark I saw him stopped on the side of
    > > the road. He said he could not go any farther. When he said it would have been his first century
    > > I said its not over yet. There was no way we could let him quit this close to 100 miles. He had
    > > been fighting a tough head wind so I had him turn around and go with the wind. I drove up the
    > > road 5 miles and waited for him to ride by. As he came by we stood on the side of the road
    > > cheering him on. I then drove up the road another 5 miles and again we went to cheering as he
    > > went by. One more five mile jump and we gave him a rousing reception. I took the sag wagon sign
    > > off of the truck and signed it as his Official Certificate of Completion. It was pretty cool to
    > > have been a part of his first century. I never would have guessed he would have ridden so many
    > > miles since. I wonder if he still has that "certificate"
    > >
    > > GET WELL SOON LUC.....
    > >
    > > Peter Spirito
    > >
    > > Peter M Spirito

  8. Peter, I've had some friends that recently visited Luc and they say he is progressing well. I
    hope to get by and visit with him sometime this weekend. In the meantime anyone interested in
    sending a e-mail message to him can do so, via the earlier posting in this thread. And YES, he
    does get the e-mail sent to him. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON,
    Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Peter M Spirito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Boy do I remember that mountain bike..After Luc got into the van we loaded up his bike. It must
    > have weighed 100 pounds and had these big knobby tires.
    >
    > I heard from another sag driver that during the ride Luc's legs were cramping so bad he would stop
    > at convience stores along the route and buy a bag of ice and stuff his shorts with the ice to
    > relieve the cramping pain.
    >
    > Luc is somewhat of a hero to me in that I had never ridden a century in all of my years on a bike.
    > And I was secretely embarrassed about
    > it....If Luc could do it then I could do it.......And I did.......And I will be doing the 7 day
    > Bike Florida next weekend.
    >
    > Give Luc my best....
    >

    > "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Peter knowing ole Luc like I do, I bet he does still have that
    certificate
    > > and it's probably hanging on his wall somewhere! I met him originally at Motorola (1997) and he
    > > was close to, if not over 300 lbs, with a stomach that hung completely over his belt. He did the
    > > Stark ride event, that
    same
    > > year and was humiliated that an ole geezer (Me) on a recumbent no less, spanked him pretty good
    > > at the event. He had a rather in-expensive
    Mountain
    > > bike and I had a $3000.00 recumbent. He then GOT ZONED IN AND FOCUSED COMPLETELY into cycling
    > > and has put more miles in 1 recent year, than I
    have
    > > in 10 years! In recent encounters with him, that spanking CHANGED and I
    got
    > > put into my place, period! (I have never been SO HAPPY AND PROUD to get
    my
    > > recumbo butt kicked by such a Great person! - Who also nursed my
    computer
    > > back to health on many occasions) Luc is one of the most safe riding
    cyclist
    > > I know. He clearly rides SMART AND HAS SAFE AWARENESS AROUND HIM AT ALL TIMES. I don't know the
    > > specifics, BUT I'm willing to bet, the fault of
    this
    > > terrible accident, dose not lie on him. I sent the hospital an e-mail addressed to him and I'm
    > > hoping to find
    out if
    > > he can have any visitors yet and if so, what the hours are. I plan to go
    see
    > > and harass my GOOD Friend, ASAP!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON,
    > > Bacchetta
    Aero