Major Modification Advice - The Build

LeonJr.

Jul 9, 2023
Well, here we go. I fell off for a bit. However, I have begun my (re)build in earnest.

1970s vintage 27" 2x6 12-speed Nishiki Sport Road Bike

Upgrade Update.

- 700c wheels, tires and tubes installed. Brake calipers only needed pad adjustment, not caliper replacement.
- Installed 11-speed cassette on Bucklos wheels. No added stress to fork. It slipped in as though I were reinstalling the original wheel.
- Shifting worked with original (LD251) front and rear derailleurs and shifters, until I tried to use the larger crank sprocket in the lowest (36T) gear. There was not enough chain. The lower sprocket cage on the rear derailleur kept striking spokes intermittently when in the lowest gear (on the smaller crank sprocket).
- I noticed a small part on the rear derailleur was broken. Realized that it was time to go to school.
- After reading some articles on derailleurs, I went to the Bezos Behemoth and prepared an (unexeuted) order for Shimano Deore M5100 shifters and derailleurs. I will likely execute the order late next week.

Side Note:
What am I learning? I am learning that trying to avoid failure or error is an errant but perfect path to failure. There are organic reasons for my risk-aversion and why at 63 (64 on Bastille Day), I am making these discoveries about myself. It is a long story to be shared if one of us crosses the pond and engages in a leisurely ride together. I am learning that by moving forward, I may be suprised by what I discover. I thought I would certainly have to change the brakes and use a smaller cassette. By advancing I discovered neither to be true.

Now, back to the project.
I realize that the Shimano Deore line is a mountain bike line. Should I redo my order for a road-bike-specific set of shifters and derailleurs? As you can see, on this part of the project, the shifters and derailleurs, I am maintaining manufacturer integrity. I learned the importance of this in my crash study on derailleurs.

And that will be all for now. I will continue to keep you updated.

Join Me on a Voyage to the Heart and Mind of God

Last edited:
I have received the shifters and rear derailleur. I did not order the front derailleur. If I need it, I will. The problem is that the front derailleur is not as readily available as the other parts.