General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Mandoline or Knife?

Started by sarah · · Last activity · 100 posts · 3,701 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 March 2005
Last activity
15 June 2005
Original author
sarah
Posts
100
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,701
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 100
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Katra, the brand you have may no longer be in production. I know of two that
    are curently made, the first is King Cutter:

    http://tinyurl.com/9vwza

    Geez! $120.00???
    I had no idea it was worth that much! ;-D

    Quoted message said:


    The second is Saladmaster

    http://tinyurl.com/bdd7o

    Hmmmmmm.... an MLM.
    Interesting.

    Quoted message said:


    HTH

    Thanks! :-)
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  2. Katra said:

    I finally have a pic uploaded to webspace:

    http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/RotaryGrater.jpg

    I have to learn how to do that. I can upload pictures, but still
    haven't figured out how to get to them or give them a url. I wish
    comcast had lessons!

  3. On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:51:08a, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:
    Quoted message said:

    Katra wrote on 12 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > So, what is it officially called now and do they make them
    > anymore? >>>
    >

    http://www.healthcraft.com/ modernized version.

    That looks more like a modern version of what I called a food mill. It
    clamped to the table.. certainly wasn't as pretty as this one, or the
    picture that Katra posted. However in the short video clip it had the
    same action as mine. Mine was very old, and very heavy (If my memory
    isn't playing tricks on me I am thinking it was made of cast iron). Not
    made by Health Craft. Gave it away years ago when I knew I wouldn't be
    doing the pickling, preserve things as much as I used to.

    Debbie

    You may be confusing the terms. A food mill, for the most part, is used to
    puree foods and may have several disks to vary the coarseness of the puree.
    It does not chop, slice, or grate.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  4. Wayne Boatwright said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:51:08a, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
    >> Katra wrote on 12 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >>
    >>> So, what is it officially called now and do they make them
    >>> anymore? >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >> http://www.healthcraft.com/ modernized version.

    That looks more like a modern version of what I called a food mill.
    It clamped to the table.. certainly wasn't as pretty as this one,
    or the picture that Katra posted. However in the short video clip
    it had the same action as mine. Mine was very old, and very heavy
    (If my memory isn't playing tricks on me I am thinking it was made
    of cast iron). Not made by Health Craft. Gave it away years ago
    when I knew I wouldn't be doing the pickling, preserve things as
    much as I used to.

    Debbie

    You may be confusing the terms. A food mill, for the most part, is
    used to puree foods and may have several disks to vary the
    coarseness of the puree. It does not chop, slice, or grate.

    Certainly wouldn't be the first time. :-) This thing had been passed down
    through the family and I just called it what everyone else did.

    Debbie

  5. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Katra, the brand you have may no longer be in production. I know of two
    that are curently made, the first is King Cutter:

    http://tinyurl.com/9vwza

    We had one of these in one of the restaurants I bought back a couple
    decades ago. It had been a mama-papa operation with everything made from
    scratch, and usually by hand. We mechanized these processes to suit our
    increased business with essentially the same thing mounted on our Hobart
    mixers, but still did everything from scratch.

    The units are heavy-duty, tough and durable.

    Quoted message said:

    The second is Saladmaster

    http://tinyurl.com/bdd7o

    This is more designed for home use and not as substantially built. For
    lighter-duty use.

    Pastorio

    They're also known as drum graters...

  6. Katra said:

    I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart refrigerator and it's been costly to repair
    the thing from time to time as it IS old, but I'd rather not do without
    it!

    Pastorio,

    I have the thermostat set right at 40 and it holds a monitored temp. of
    39 to 42 degrees. Should I turn it down? The sun porch now has a window
    unit air conditioner so it stays cooler back there, but I'm leery of
    straining that compressor as it'd cost me $1,500 to replace it. The
    refrigerator is about 25 years old.

    It's a small commercial unit that should last a good while. But it
    wouldn't be worth replacing the compressor. You should be able to pick
    up comparable restaurant coolers at auction for a whole lot less than
    that. I bought a 50 cube for $35 a few years ago. At that same auction,
    there was a 70 cube service cooler (tall bad wide, 6 glass doors on each
    side to pass things through) that sold for $75.

    Quoted message said:

    40 degrees seems to really [censored] food spoilage except for some of the
    softer veggies. But then, I really should eat them before they are a
    week old anyway. <lol> I just have to get dad to stop buying more fresh
    produce than the two of us can eat!

    That's really the point. No matter what temperature you're working at,
    things need to be used in their own good time. 40°F is a good compromise
    storage temperature. Some things are better colder, others warmer.

    Quoted message said:

    Ginger root keeps for 2 months in a wicker basket in there, and oranges
    for the cockatoo last for about 3 months. I usually get those in a mesh
    bag and I replace her citrus fruit about every 3 days.

    And, speaking of rotary slicers:

    Quoted message said:

    I was amazed to see what the one I have is worth! :-)

    There might be a difference between cost and worth.

    Pastorio

  7. On Sun 12 Jun 2005 09:22:33a, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:51:08a, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
    >>> Katra wrote on 12 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >>>
    >>>> So, what is it officially called now and do they make them
    >>>> anymore? >>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> http://www.healthcraft.com/ modernized version.
    >
    > That looks more like a modern version of what I called a food mill.
    > It clamped to the table.. certainly wasn't as pretty as this one, or
    > the picture that Katra posted. However in the short video clip
    > it had the same action as mine. Mine was very old, and very heavy
    > (If my memory isn't playing tricks on me I am thinking it was made
    > of cast iron). Not made by Health Craft. Gave it away years ago
    > when I knew I wouldn't be doing the pickling, preserve things as
    > much as I used to.
    >
    > Debbie

    You may be confusing the terms. A food mill, for the most part, is
    used to puree foods and may have several disks to vary the coarseness
    of the puree. It does not chop, slice, or grate.

    Certainly wouldn't be the first time. :-) This thing had been passed
    down through the family and I just called it what everyone else did.

    Debbie

    Most of us do that. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sf said:
    Katra said:

    I finally have a pic uploaded to webspace:

    http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/RotaryGrater.jpg

    I have to learn how to do that. I can upload pictures, but still
    haven't figured out how to get to them or give them a url. I wish
    comcast had lessons!

    Hmmmm... What program are you using?
    You cannot access your webspace once you upload to it?

    I use "Fetch" to upload to my century webspace, then go to my index site
    in my Centurytel account.

    I click on the item in the index that I want which brings up the
    picture, then I just copy that address and paste it into the text when I
    post a message.

    The internet assigns them the URL, not you. :-)

    Hope that helps???

    Cheers!
    Kat
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Debbie said:
    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:
    Quoted message said:

    Katra wrote on 12 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > So, what is it officially called now and do they make them
    > anymore? >>>
    >

    http://www.healthcraft.com/ modernized version.

    That looks more like a modern version of what I called a food mill. It
    clamped to the table.. certainly wasn't as pretty as this one, or the
    picture that Katra posted. However in the short video clip it had the same
    action as mine. Mine was very old, and very heavy (If my memory isn't
    playing tricks on me I am thinking it was made of cast iron). Not made by
    Health Craft. Gave it away years ago when I knew I wouldn't be doing the
    pickling, preserve things as much as I used to.

    Debbie

    I'll use it to slice veggies for stir fry if I want them fine and not
    chunky. I'll use it mostly for carrots as they need to be thinner to
    cook faster. I leave the softer veggies (and the meat) in larger chunks.

    It's also handy for shredding for salads.
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob (this one) said:
    Katra said:

    I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart refrigerator and it's been costly to repair
    the thing from time to time as it IS old, but I'd rather not do without
    it!

    Pastorio,

    I have the thermostat set right at 40 and it holds a monitored temp. of
    39 to 42 degrees. Should I turn it down? The sun porch now has a window
    unit air conditioner so it stays cooler back there, but I'm leery of
    straining that compressor as it'd cost me $1,500 to replace it. The
    refrigerator is about 25 years old.

    It's a small commercial unit that should last a good while. But it
    wouldn't be worth replacing the compressor. You should be able to pick
    up comparable restaurant coolers at auction for a whole lot less than
    that. I bought a 50 cube for $35 a few years ago. At that same auction,
    there was a 70 cube service cooler (tall bad wide, 6 glass doors on each
    side to pass things through) that sold for $75.

    Oh my! The cheapest I've seen a used one around here for was $600.00.
    Part of the issue of course tho' is moving one of those damned things.
    <lol> They only weigh, what, a good 500 lbs.? I have this unit on
    furniture coasters, making it easy to clean under and behind.

    I'll keep that in mind! I got mine for free, but where are these
    auctions???

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    40 degrees seems to really [censored] food spoilage except for some of the
    softer veggies. But then, I really should eat them before they are a
    week old anyway. <lol> I just have to get dad to stop buying more fresh
    produce than the two of us can eat!

    That's really the point. No matter what temperature you're working at,
    things need to be used in their own good time. 40°F is a good compromise
    storage temperature. Some things are better colder, others warmer.

    I see.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Ginger root keeps for 2 months in a wicker basket in there, and oranges
    for the cockatoo last for about 3 months. I usually get those in a mesh
    bag and I replace her citrus fruit about every 3 days.

    And, speaking of rotary slicers:

    Quoted message said:

    I was amazed to see what the one I have is worth! :-)

    There might be a difference between cost and worth.

    Ok, I consider mine priceless as a time saver... <G>

    Cheers and thanks for answering!

    Quoted message said:


    Pastorio


    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  11. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's a small commercial unit that should last a good while. But it
    wouldn't be worth replacing the compressor. You should be able to pick
    up comparable restaurant coolers at auction for a whole lot less than
    that. I bought a 50 cube for $35 a few years ago. At that same auction,
    there was a 70 cube service cooler (tall bad wide, 6 glass doors on each
    side to pass things through) that sold for $75.

    Oh my! The cheapest I've seen a used one around here for was $600.00.
    Part of the issue of course tho' is moving one of those damned things.
    <lol> They only weigh, what, a good 500 lbs.? I have this unit on
    furniture coasters, making it easy to clean under and behind.

    I'll keep that in mind! I got mine for free, but where are these
    auctions???

    Restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. going out of
    business. Lot more common than you'd think.

    Pastorio

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Katra said:

    I looked and looked and could NOT find a picture of my rotary
    grater/slicer... but I like it better for speed cutting or course
    grating (or fine grating since it has 6 different barrels) pretty much
    any veggie!

    Here's another:

    http://tinyurl.com/cty3n

    Amazon also carries these. Yes, seems pretty pricey to me, too.

  13. Katra said:

    Thank you for looking! You just made my day! :-)

    No problem. I admire artistic talent partly because I have none at
    all. You could give me all the tools in the world, and I couldn't
    draw a straight black line with an on-screen ruler.

    --
    The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    At least now I have an excuse.

  14. "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:KatraMungBean->> We had one of these in one of the

    Quoted message said:

    I have the thermostat set right at 40

    <snip to>

    Quoted message said:

    and oranges
    for the cockatoo last for about 3 months

    Now this could start and end a thread on What I Keep In My Refrigerator!

    Felice

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (AlleyGator) said:
    Katra said:

    Thank you for looking! You just made my day! :-)

    No problem. I admire artistic talent partly because I have none at
    all. You could give me all the tools in the world, and I couldn't
    draw a straight black line with an on-screen ruler.

    Mmm...
    I think you'd be amazed.
    While I could "doodle" with a pencil, I could never really create
    anything I'd classify as "art". :-) I really cannot draw.

    If you fool around with photoshop filters long enough, they generate
    ideas and you can just go from there.

    The computer makes it possible for me to indulge "latent" talents if you
    will.

    You should give it a try! I'm betting you will amaze yourself. Niether
    me nor just about any other graphic artist I know (especially the ones
    that like to do "psychedelic art"😉 has any idea what they will end up
    with when they start!

    If you have any photoediting software (photoshop really is cool!), you
    can just play around with it and see what happens!

    Or go download "Apophysis" flame fractal generator if you have a PC!
    I can't use it as it is not compatible with Macintosh. You can create
    things like this with Apophysis. I really LOVE this artists creations!

    http://www.arcanefractals.com/sitemap.shtml

    Flip thru the galleries. :-)
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob (this one) said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's a small commercial unit that should last a good while. But it
    wouldn't be worth replacing the compressor. You should be able to pick
    up comparable restaurant coolers at auction for a whole lot less than
    that. I bought a 50 cube for $35 a few years ago. At that same auction,
    there was a 70 cube service cooler (tall bad wide, 6 glass doors on each
    side to pass things through) that sold for $75.

    Oh my! The cheapest I've seen a used one around here for was $600.00.
    Part of the issue of course tho' is moving one of those damned things.
    <lol> They only weigh, what, a good 500 lbs.? I have this unit on
    furniture coasters, making it easy to clean under and behind.

    I'll keep that in mind! I got mine for free, but where are these
    auctions???

    Restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. going out of
    business. Lot more common than you'd think.

    Pastorio

    Mmmm... Like the 60 lbs. of boxed frozen shrimp I got for 60% off from
    Kroger when it was closing down. ;-) Not an auction, just a really good
    deal! I have a real passion for shrimp!

    I'm betting I can google for it.

    Thanks for making me aware of them!

    I got my Hobart from our laboratory when they were upgrading.
    Needless to say, I sprayed it inside and out (carefully!) with a 10%
    bleach solution prior to "moving into it". <lol>
    I'd lusted after that 'frige for years and never thought I'd own it.

    Double glass front doors, the whole nine yards.

    Sweet!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Frogleg said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I looked and looked and could NOT find a picture of my rotary
    > grater/slicer... but I like it better for speed cutting or course
    > grating (or fine grating since it has 6 different barrels) pretty much
    > any veggie!

    Here's another:

    http://tinyurl.com/cty3n

    Amazon also carries these. Yes, seems pretty pricey to me, too.

    Indeed... but once you have used one, they really are nice!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  18. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    Most "rotary graters" turned up little bitty cheap assed hand tools made
    with a plastic barrel that did not clamp to the counter.

    I finally have a pic uploaded to webspace:

    http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/RotaryGrater.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    So, what is it officially called now and do they make them anymore?


    Quoted message said:

    Looks like the Kitchen-Aid Food Processor attachment for a KA mixer. I
    used to have it. Now they call it a slicer shredder. The second link
    shows how it attaches to the front of a KA stand mixer.
    http://store.yahoo.com/buyitnow64/kiaidroslsha.html
    http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?id=123&pid=4958&step=4

    200 bucks !?!

    i'll never be a professional cook

    just a humble little amatuer

  19. gman said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    Most "rotary graters" turned up little bitty cheap assed hand tools made
    with a plastic barrel that did not clamp to the counter.

    I finally have a pic uploaded to webspace:

    http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/RotaryGrater.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    So, what is it officially called now and do they make them anymore?


    Quoted message said:

    Looks like the Kitchen-Aid Food Processor attachment for a KA mixer. I
    used to have it. Now they call it a slicer shredder. The second link
    shows how it attaches to the front of a KA stand mixer.
    http://store.yahoo.com/buyitnow64/kiaidroslsha.html
    http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?id=123&pid=4958&step=4

    200 bucks !?!

    i'll never be a professional cook

    just a humble little amatuer

    <LOL> If that dazzles you, you ought to wander through a professional
    supplies catalog. All of a sudden you begin acquire a clearer picture of
    why restaurants have to charge what they do.

    Pastorio

  20. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    gman said:

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:01:07 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >In article <[email hidden]>,
    >Katra <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I looked and looked and could NOT find a picture of my rotary
    >>grater/slicer... but I like it better for speed cutting or course
    >>grating (or fine grating since it has 6 different barrels) pretty much
    >>any veggie!
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >>Anyone know what this device might be called? I googled for "rotary
    >>slicer" and "rotary grater" but gave up after about 4 pages of each. :-P
    >
    >Sounds like a Mouli grater. Did you put that (Mouli) into the search?

    Sounds like a food mill, though never actually used one, just saw it
    online.

    Two very different tools. Food mills don't grate, they process food by
    pressing it through various sized holes... graters process food by
    teasing/shredding/tearing/abrading.... rotary graters employ variously
    configured barrels from course to fine and some slice at various
    thicknesses. Mouli is the name of a company, they make food mills and
    other kitchen gadgetry, they make a rotary grater too. There are tons
    of hits for <rotary grater>, from many manufacturers, OXO seems to be
    popular, even found pictures of a Mouli rotary grater... someone
    doesn't know how to search, or didn't really.

    Sheldon

    I did a lot of searching Sheldong sweetie... ;-)

    And I did not find anything REMOTELY like this!

    Most "rotary graters" turned up little bitty cheap assed hand tools made
    with a plastic barrel that did not clamp to the counter.

    I finally have a pic uploaded to webspace:

    http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/RotaryGrater.jpg

    It ain't no Mouli grater! Mouli graters don't clamp to the counter and
    are way too tiny to do any real work. I can do whole carrots, onions,
    spuds, cabbage quarters, etc. in this thing. A lousy Mouli is only good
    for cheese as far as I can tell!

    It almost looks like a food mill but I think it is an old fashioned
    grater, perhaps initially made for commercial use. I say food mill
    because my food mill attaches to the counter, has various attachments,
    and the food is put into a large bowl at the top similar to what your
    grater has.

    Quoted message said:


    So, what is it officially called now and do they make them anymore?
    This tool is very old and I love the thing! I generally leave it out as
    it's a huge time saver in the mornings when I do most of my cooking
    before I go to work for swing shifts. About the only thing it won't
    slice is meat and any fresh herbs still have to be minced by hand. So
    does garlic and fresh ginger root...

    Thinking about switching to night shifts. ;-)

    Maybe.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.