Mario Is Back!!!!

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:13:29 -0800 (PST), OMC <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Is_Cipollinis_comeback_already_over_article_174817.html

> "by the end of the day it seems that Cipollini and charismatic Rock
> Racing owner Micheal Ball had already fallen out,"
>
> How charismatic is this Ball dude if everyone body who meets him hates
> him?

All Ball has to do is say something anti-American and half of the population
of the USA will instantly worship him.

On Jan 19, 4:28 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:13:29 -0800 (PST), OMC <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >>http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Is_Cipollinis_comeback_already_ov...

> > "by the end of the day it seems that Cipollini and charismatic Rock
> > Racing owner Micheal Ball had already fallen out,"

> > How charismatic is this Ball dude if everyone body who meets him hates
> > him?

> All Ball has to do is say something anti-American and half of the population
> of the USA will instantly worship him.

And other half thinks Kunich is a nut job, I guess that would make us
100% in agreement !

Now it's a done deal, Cipo is in:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cipollini_signs_with_Rock_Racing_article_174887.html

On Jan 20, 1:11 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 3:52 pm, OMC <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Now it's a done deal, Cipo is in:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cipollini_signs_with_Rock_Racing_...

> Cool! That's great news. Hope this really works out, especially for
> the younger guys.
> Bill C

I noticed that Mario will be racing only in the US
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/jan08/jan20news )
"With the awareness of the former sprinter in Italy, the team would
have better chances of receiving wildcard invites to races like
Tirreno-Adriatico, Sanremo or even the Giro d'Italia. However, the
team is only registered for 2008 as a Continental team, which
prohibits its participation at least for the duration of this year.??"

In some ways this makes a lot sense for Mario. There is less
competition for Mario and he be of great PR value to Ball.

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:13:29 -0800 (PST), OMC <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Is_Cipollinis_comeback_already_over_article_174817.html
>>>

>> "by the end of the day it seems that Cipollini and charismatic Rock
>> Racing owner Micheal Ball had already fallen out,"
>>
>> How charismatic is this Ball dude if everyone body who meets him hates
>> him?

> All Ball has to do is say something anti-American and half of the
> population of the USA will instantly worship him.

Hey Assclown,

Define "anti-American."

Magilla

Bill C wrote:

> On Jan 20, 3:52 pm, OMC <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Now it's a done deal, Cipo is in:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cipollini_signs_with_Rock_Racing_...

> Cool! That's great news. Hope this really works out, especially for
> the younger guys.
> Bill C

Cipo is a sprinter long past his prime. He was not known for his
insightful race strategy, so not sure about him driving the car as a
D.S.. This whole deal was just one big misguided publicity stunt by a
guy who appears to like hiring antiques under the mis-assumption that
they will win races or generate huge publicity in the U.S. when in fact
they will accomplish neither.

That roster that Ball has right now will have a tough time winning a
single NRC event. They are all has-beens who suck unless they're
bagging blood.

Magilla

On Jan 21, 6:22 am, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > On Jan 20, 3:52 pm, OMC <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Now it's a done deal, Cipo is in:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cipollini_signs_with_Rock_Racing_...

> > Cool! That's great news. Hope this really works out, especially for
> > the younger guys.
> >  Bill C

> Cipo is a sprinter long past his prime.  He was not known for his
> insightful race strategy, so not sure about him driving the car as a
> D.S..  This whole deal was just one big misguided publicity stunt by a
> guy who appears to like hiring antiques under the mis-assumption that
> they will win races or generate huge publicity in the U.S. when in fact
> they will accomplish neither.
>
> That roster that Ball has right now will have a tough time winning a
> single NRC event.  They are all has-beens who suck unless they're
> bagging blood.
>
> Magilla

Nah, I think they'll do fine against the domestic teams. Gotta wonder
what Cipo knows, other than hit the brakes and turn around, when it
comes to climbs. Anyone still got one of those of T-shirts with Cipo
bailing?
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
> On Jan 21, 6:22 am, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Bill C wrote:

>>>Cool! That's great news. Hope this really works out, especially for
>>>the younger guys.
>>> Bill C

>>Cipo is a sprinter long past his prime. He was not known for his
>>insightful race strategy, so not sure about him driving the car as a
>>D.S.. This whole deal was just one big misguided publicity stunt by a
>>guy who appears to like hiring antiques under the mis-assumption that
>>they will win races or generate huge publicity in the U.S. when in fact
>>they will accomplish neither.
>>
>>That roster that Ball has right now will have a tough time winning a
>>single NRC event. They are all has-beens who suck unless they're
>>bagging blood.
>>
>>Magilla

> Nah, I think they'll do fine against the domestic teams. Gotta wonder
> what Cipo knows, other than hit the brakes and turn around, when it
> comes to climbs. Anyone still got one of those of T-shirts with Cipo
> bailing?
> Bill C

Do fine? They supposedly have a $8 million budget. The domestic teams
they are racing against don't even have half that.

Magilla

> Do fine? They supposedly have a $8 million budget. The domestic teams
> they are racing against don't even have half that.

Right. Big budgets sure worked well for Telekom/T-Mobile...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On Jan 21, 1:13 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Do fine? They supposedly have a $8 million budget. The domestic teams
> > they are racing against don't even have half that.

> Right. Big budgets sure worked well for Telekom/T-Mobile...

so you're comparing rock racing to a team that raced in all the top
events all over the world for over ten years ?

On Jan 21, 1:07 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Do fine?  They supposedly have a $8 million budget.  The domestic teams
> they are racing against don't even have half that.
>
> Magilla- Hide quoted text -

It's his latest playtoy. They'll win some domestic races, stir up
some ****, get some press, and ******** a ton of old folks.
Sounds like the standard X-games type mentality. The more controversy
he can stir up, and the more **** he can get the GB's to say about, or
do to his team the better for him.
**** Europe went nuts for cowboy ****, 8 mil, aint **** if it makes
his **** the hot new jean, or whatever over there.
Don't think he really gives a **** about the cycling end as long as
they generate a buzz.
Win, or lose he can make it work for him. It's about business.
Bill C

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 21, 1:13 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Do fine? They supposedly have a $8 million budget. The domestic teams
>> > they are racing against don't even have half that.

>> Right. Big budgets sure worked well for Telekom/T-Mobile...
>>

> so you're comparing rock racing to a team that raced in all the top
> events all over the world for over ten years ?

I'm suggesting that expectations might be a bit on the high side (for Rock
Racing), if someone is expecting phenomenal results just from throwing money
at the sport. The "Supergroups" of the 70s & 80s didn't work out too well,
nor have cycling teams that have had too many leaders and not enough
support. Although for Rock Racing I guess we're looking at a group of
"Rock"stars who have come out of retirement. Maybe it's a different dynamic
that could work. But I don't think so.

Somebody has probably done a study to show how many "support" riders it
takes, per leader, to consistently do well in big races. But maybe it's all
about making a splashy show at the starting line, not getting across the
finish line first?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> The "Supergroups" of the 70s & 80s didn't work out too well,

La Vie Claire, just some of the members:

Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond, Andy Hampsten, Laurent Fignon, Steve Bauer.

On Jan 21, 7:01 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Right. Big budgets sure worked well for Telekom/T-Mobile...

> > so you're comparing rock racing to a team that raced in all the top
> > events all over the world for over ten years ?

> I'm suggesting that expectations might be a bit on the high side (for Rock
> Racing), if someone is expecting phenomenal results just from throwing money
> at the sport. The "Supergroups" of the 70s & 80s didn't work out too well,
> nor have cycling teams that have had too many leaders and not enough
> support. Although for Rock Racing I guess we're looking at a group of
> "Rock"stars who have come out of retirement.

dumbass,

except it isn't a superteam, it's more like Slapshot.

>> I'm suggesting that expectations might be a bit on the high side (for
>> Rock
>> Racing), if someone is expecting phenomenal results just from throwing
>> money
>> at the sport. The "Supergroups" of the 70s & 80s didn't work out too
>> well,
>> nor have cycling teams that have had too many leaders and not enough
>> support. Although for Rock Racing I guess we're looking at a group of
>> "Rock"stars who have come out of retirement.

> dumbass,
>
> except it isn't a superteam, it's more like Slapshot.

Speaking of which, we haven't heard from the Hansen brothers in quite a
while.

On Jan 21, 8:39 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I'm suggesting that expectations might be a bit on the high side (for
> >> Rock
> >> Racing), if someone is expecting phenomenal results just from throwing
> >> money
> >> at the sport. The "Supergroups" of the 70s & 80s didn't work out too
> >> well,
> >> nor have cycling teams that have had too many leaders and not enough
> >> support. Although for Rock Racing I guess we're looking at a group of
> >> "Rock"stars who have come out of retirement.

> > dumbass,

> > except it isn't a superteam, it's more like Slapshot.

> Speaking of which, we haven't heard from the Hansen brothers in quite a
> while.

They are riding for Slipstream, they are Vaughters lost brothers,
triplets at birth......note the similar fashion eyewear.

On Jan 21, 10:22 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > On Jan 20, 3:52 pm, OMC <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Now it's a done deal, Cipo is in:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cipollini_signs_with_Rock_Racing_...

> > Cool! That's great news. Hope this really works out, especially for
> > the younger guys.
> >  Bill C

> Cipo is a sprinter long past his prime.  He was not known for his
> insightful race strategy, so not sure about him driving the car as a
> D.S..  This whole deal was just one big misguided publicity stunt by a
> guy who appears to like hiring antiques under the mis-assumption that
> they will win races or generate huge publicity in the U.S. when in fact
> they will accomplish neither.
>
> That roster that Ball has right now will have a tough time winning a
> single NRC event.  They are all has-beens who suck unless they're
> bagging blood.
>
> Magilla

cipo not known for his insightful race strategy? so how do you win the
rainbow bands and not the gay ones that michael ball wears without
being half smart? 191 wins in a career that spans from 1989 to 2005
really speaks for itself. When a guy can motorpace at 80kmh you know
he's got talent. Two of my mates saw him on the way to a race in
Belgium sitting behind the domina vacanze team car going down a main
road with the hatch up. The guy is a freight train and he'd more than
likely lead himself out if he was to race for ball in america.

Call me naive but do the american audience find him to be a '******'.

AM.