Marmalade question

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
> 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

Might want to make sure they're not waxed, though. A lot of shop bought citrus
is waxed ...

-P.

> From my experience, they are rarely available for more than two
> weeks.

How odd. Mine stay, ripe, on the tree for months before they shrivel up and
drop off. Very large window of opportunity.

-P.

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?
>>

> My wife has made grapefruit jelly. It works.
>

>>Also, any sources for bitter oranges?
>>

> Seville oranges. I had to plant a couple of trees ... never seen them on sale
> anywhere. Lovely marmalade.
>
> -P.

I found some Sevilles at a Fiesta supermarket in Houston a couple of
years ago, in October I think (I dunno how them had them fresh in
October.) I bought a few and made marmalade with them. I entered it in
the county fair and the judge disqualified it because it was bitter.
It's supposed to be bitter! I gave a couple of jars to a preacher
friend of mine who's an Englishman.

Bob

Peter Huebner <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> From my experience, they are rarely available for more than two
>> weeks.

> How odd. Mine stay, ripe, on the tree for months before they
> shrivel up and drop off. Very large window of opportunity.

Not odd at all. You have to understand that no oranges grow in
Manitoba.

Now Morroco, that's another thing. When I was there in 1967, you could
buy oranges by the large bag at literally 1 cent a pound. Had I found
funding for the import idea I had, I would have made a fortune.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

Sheldon wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
>>We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
>>5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

> Yes... but it really doesn't pay... you can buy a large jar of
> stupidmarket brand marmalade for about $2 that will be better than what
> you can make from those flavorless generic juice orange rinds. If
> you're willing to go through the trouble than choose something
> interesting, like tangerine, tangelo, clementine, grapefruit, etc....
> save them up in your freezer.

My mother (RIP) used to make a marmalade out of grapefruit rind/peel. It
was very good, but too sweet (like most Cuban pastries.) The only Cuban
pastry I like is Pastelitos de Guayaba (sort of guava turnovers.) The
rest are too sweet for my tooth. I think the only Spanish speaking
culture that makes excellent sweets are the Argentineans. Probably
because of their close German/Italian roots.