Marzocchi fork question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Beenzon Toste, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out twice on
    them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep rutted forest
    trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably soft.
    How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have only
    about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?
    TIA
    David

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Beenzon Toste
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out
    > twice on them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep
    > rutted forest
    > trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably
    > soft.
    > How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have
    > only about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?

    No. Something is wrong. In my experience air shocks lose pressure
    extremely slowly - several months before you notice they need a few
    pounds more.

    Anagram: I'm soon broke.

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Beenzon Toste" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out twice on
    > them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep rutted

    forest
    > trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably

    soft.
    > How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have

    only
    > about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?
    > TIA
    > David

    My MX air forks require air about every 8 weeks. They do get a bit soft by
    them but not so much that I notice during normal riding. They are low
    pressure forks so don't lose pressure as fast as I imagine the high pressure
    ones might.

    I fitted mine in November 2003 and I think they are excellent. I ride cross
    country - but we do have a few rough descents here in Mid Wales and they
    soak up the big bumps as well as they do the small ones.

    John

  4. I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5 p.s.i.
    on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before the
    weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much they
    should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I didnt check
    the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to how much they have
    lost.
    thanks for your help
    david

    "Beenzon Toste" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out twice on
    >them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep rutted forest
    >trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably
    >soft. How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they
    >have only about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?
    > TIA
    > David

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Beenzon Toste wrote:
    > I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5 p.s.i.
    > on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before the
    > weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much they
    > should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I didnt check
    > the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to how much they have
    > lost.

    How did you measure the pressure? The volumes are very small so
    connecting a pressure guage or a shock pump can drop the pressure quite
    significantly. I have now calibrated my shock pump so I know exactly how
    much pressure loss connecting it causes (connect, set pressure,
    disconnect, reconnect, read pressure, note difference)and over a period
    of a couple of years my Marzocchis have not lost any noticeable pressure.

    Tony

  6. I have got one of those digital tyre pressure gauges. They will connect with
    minimal pressure loss and are supposed to be extremely accurate, but I take
    your point about pressure loss when connecting/disconnecting the pump. I
    think I will be adopting your methods and calibrating my pump in the same
    way.

    David
    > Beenzon Toste wrote:
    >> I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5
    >> p.s.i. on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me
    >> before the weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how
    >> much they should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I
    >> didnt check the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to how
    >> much they have lost.
    >>

    > How did you measure the pressure? The volumes are very small so
    > connecting a pressure guage or a shock pump can drop the pressure quite
    > significantly. I have now calibrated my shock pump so I know exactly how
    > much pressure loss connecting it causes (connect, set pressure,
    > disconnect, reconnect, read pressure, note difference)and over a period of
    > a couple of years my Marzocchis have not lost any noticeable pressure.
    >
    > Tony

  7. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5
    > p.s.i.
    > on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before
    > the weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much
    > they should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I
    > didnt check the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to
    > how much they have lost.
    > thanks for your help

    If the pressure you need in your units is less than about 100psi an
    ordinary bike pump will be adequate (but a pressure gauge does help).

    ;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > If the pressure you need in your units is less than about 100psi an
    > ordinary bike pump will be adequate (but a pressure gauge does help).

    Its not really. The volume is too small so you end up with minute
    movements of the pump to get the right pressure and then its too easy to
    loose it all when disconnecting the pump. A proper shock pump - I use
    the Pace one - is worth it IMO

    Tony