Marzocchi fork question

Beenzon Toste

Guest
I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out twice on
them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep rutted forest
trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably soft.
How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have only
about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?
TIA
David

in message <[email protected]>, Beenzon Toste
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out
> twice on them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep
> rutted forest
> trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably
> soft.
> How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have
> only about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?

No. Something is wrong. In my experience air shocks lose pressure
extremely slowly - several months before you notice they need a few
pounds more.

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

"Beenzon Toste" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have recently fitted some marzocchi mx comp forks, and been out twice on
> them on fairly mixed terrain , ranging from thick mud to deep rutted

forest
> trails. I got the bike out of the shed today, and they felt noticably

soft.
> How often should these need air putting into them . I guess they have

only
> about 60 miles on them . Is this normal ?
> TIA
> David

My MX air forks require air about every 8 weeks. They do get a bit soft by
them but not so much that I notice during normal riding. They are low
pressure forks so don't lose pressure as fast as I imagine the high pressure
ones might.

I fitted mine in November 2003 and I think they are excellent. I ride cross
country - but we do have a few rough descents here in Mid Wales and they
soak up the big bumps as well as they do the small ones.

John

I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5 p.s.i.
on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before the
weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much they
should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I didnt check
the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to how much they have
lost.
thanks for your help
david

Beenzon Toste wrote:
> I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5 p.s.i.
> on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before the
> weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much they
> should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I didnt check
> the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to how much they have
> lost.

How did you measure the pressure? The volumes are very small so
connecting a pressure guage or a shock pump can drop the pressure quite
significantly. I have now calibrated my shock pump so I know exactly how
much pressure loss connecting it causes (connect, set pressure,
disconnect, reconnect, read pressure, note difference)and over a period
of a couple of years my Marzocchis have not lost any noticeable pressure.

Tony

I have got one of those digital tyre pressure gauges. They will connect with
minimal pressure loss and are supposed to be extremely accurate, but I take
your point about pressure loss when connecting/disconnecting the pump. I
think I will be adopting your methods and calibrating my pump in the same
way.

David

('[email protected]') wrote:

> I just checked the pressure and I had 9 p.s.i in left leg and 22.5
> p.s.i.
> on the right leg. I ordered a shock pump which should get to me before
> the weekend. All I need to do now is find the manual and see how much
> they should have in them and I am back in business. I must admit I
> didnt check the pressures from new, so I havent got a benchmark as to
> how much they have lost.
> thanks for your help

If the pressure you need in your units is less than about 100psi an
ordinary bike pump will be adequate (but a pressure gauge does help).

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> If the pressure you need in your units is less than about 100psi an
> ordinary bike pump will be adequate (but a pressure gauge does help).

Its not really. The volume is too small so you end up with minute
movements of the pump to get the right pressure and then its too easy to
loose it all when disconnecting the pump. A proper shock pump - I use
the Pace one - is worth it IMO

Tony