Mashing as efficient as circles?

I recall a thread a few years ago where Andrew Coggan referred to
studies that showed that pedaling in circles was no more efficient than
just mashing.

Anyone remember this, or such studies?

I would think that a trained cyclist, pedaling in circles, puts out
more watts and uses a wider variety of muscles, than someone just
mashing.

To complicate things I notice there's a website that advises pedaling
in "triangles." Wassup there?

Here it is: http://www.thesportfactory.com/article_253.shtml

--JP
allbikemag.com

[email protected] wrote in news:1152820358.614801.169450
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> I would think that a trained cyclist, pedaling in circles, puts out
> more watts and uses a wider variety of muscles, than someone just
> mashing.

The only studies I have read are based on non-serious, untrained
cyclists.

sally wrote:
> [email protected] wrote in news:1152820358.614801.169450
> @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
>>I would think that a trained cyclist, pedaling in circles, puts out
>>more watts and uses a wider variety of muscles, than someone just
>>mashing.

> The only studies I have read are based on non-serious, untrained
> cyclists.

aka most cyclists.

[email protected] wrote:
> I recall a thread a few years ago where Andrew Coggan referred to
> studies that showed that pedaling in circles was no more efficient than
> just mashing.
>
> Anyone remember this, or such studies?
>
> I would think that a trained cyclist, pedaling in circles, puts out
> more watts and uses a wider variety of muscles, than someone just
> mashing.
>
> To complicate things I notice there's a website that advises pedaling
> in "triangles." Wassup there?
>
> Here it is: http://www.thesportfactory.com/article_253.shtml
>
> --JP
> allbikemag.com

Here is a possible study:

Get on a trainer and leave the rear wheel without touching the
resistance roller. get on the bike and atached one foot to one pedal
and push down. Have someone count the number of turns of the wheel, or
the amount of time the wheel spins freely.

Next push down and then pull up. See if the amount of time that the
wheel spins freely is the same, more or less.

I think that pulling up is good. When i ride, I concentrate on pulling
up and not pushing down. Sometimes I try to push down but I find it
more difficult.

Andres

[email protected] wrote:
[ ]
> Here is a possible study:
>
> Get on a trainer and leave the rear wheel without touching the
> resistance roller. get on the bike and atached one foot to one pedal
> and push down. Have someone count the number of turns of the wheel, or
> the amount of time the wheel spins freely.
>
> Next push down and then pull up. See if the amount of time that the
> wheel spins freely is the same, more or less.

A cyclist is a complete system. Your test includes added work which
should make the wheel spin longer, but it seems like an incomplete,
nonparellel test. It's not apples-to-apples. While you're pulling up
another cyclist would be pushing down with the other foot. You have to
measure the whole pedal cycle. And round pedalers would say that the
cycles are connected and in fact produce their benefit over a longish
timeframe. So a test to compare the two styles would seem to have to be
for at least a minute, say and compare outputs to inputs for the two
pedaling styles. I don't see a way around it.

The round pedalers aren't saying they're most efficient for a half
stroke or a whole stroke or maybe even for 10 strokes but that they are
more efficient over the course of, say, a quarter mile. When one sees a
good cyclist suddenly start to pedal "squares" you immediately think
they're going slower---it happens when a racer is falling apart and is
a sign of breakdown. I'm not sure about the timeframes here, though.
But that's the general trend as it seems to me.

--JP

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 13 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Comparing the size of the muscles involved in pushing a leg down to
> those that lift it up adds weight (pardon the pun) to the results of
> the testing.

Runners do pretty well on their hamstrings which are not that insignificant!

> Of course, you can briefly pull up hard at a low cadence, but you'll
> exhaust yourself roughly twice as fast. At a normal cadence, it seems
> to be next to impossible to pull up.

I admit that the only time I really pull is when I am climbing out of the
saddle.

> Training appears to make little. if any, difference.

The key to this is not pulling per se but avoiding wasting energy by using
the down stroke leg to lift the weight of the upstroke leg. Single leg
pedalling drills can certainly help here to develop what I understand to be
the "pedalling in circles" concept.

"Graham Steer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 13 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> Comparing the size of the muscles involved in pushing a leg down to
>> those that lift it up adds weight (pardon the pun) to the results of
>> the testing.

> Runners do pretty well on their hamstrings which are not that
> insignificant!
>
>> Of course, you can briefly pull up hard at a low cadence, but you'll
>> exhaust yourself roughly twice as fast. At a normal cadence, it seems
>> to be next to impossible to pull up.

> I admit that the only time I really pull is when I am climbing out of
> the
> saddle.
>
>> Training appears to make little. if any, difference.

> The key to this is not pulling per se but avoiding wasting energy by
> using
> the down stroke leg to lift the weight of the upstroke leg. Single leg
> pedalling drills can certainly help here to develop what I understand
> to be
> the "pedalling in circles" concept.

This has been discussed here at length in the past under the heading
Powercranks. In a nutshell, it is my opinion that aerobic endurance is
improved by utilizing more muscle mass. There are plenty of experts who
disagree.

Phil H

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:16:12 +0100, "Graham Steer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On 13 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> Comparing the size of the muscles involved in pushing a leg down to
>> those that lift it up adds weight (pardon the pun) to the results of
>> the testing.

>Runners do pretty well on their hamstrings which are not that insignificant!
>
>> Of course, you can briefly pull up hard at a low cadence, but you'll
>> exhaust yourself roughly twice as fast. At a normal cadence, it seems
>> to be next to impossible to pull up.

>I admit that the only time I really pull is when I am climbing out of the
>saddle.
>
>> Training appears to make little. if any, difference.

>The key to this is not pulling per se but avoiding wasting energy by using
>the down stroke leg to lift the weight of the upstroke leg. Single leg
>pedalling drills can certainly help here to develop what I understand to be
>the "pedalling in circles" concept.

Dear Graham,

As I understand it, there are two main factors in pedal effort.

First, we move our feet in circles. The effort to raise the back leg
isn't wasted--it's necessary, even with no chain.

It doesn't matter whether we push the trailing leg up with extra
effort from the leading leg that's busy pushing down, or pull it up
with extra effort from the trailing leg that would otherwise be
idle--the same power is required to work both feet in a circle.

(I'm tempted to add that we could pull the trailing leg up with a
string, too, but that would add extra effort--raising and lowering the
arms.)

Second, we add force against the chain.

The chain can't tell which leg the force comes from.

Nor can our cardio-pulmonary system tell which leg is doing the work.

That is, our hearts and lungs cannot produce more power by shifting
the total effort around, any more than a car engine can produce more
power by sending it to four wheels instead of two.

Jobst points out that this is why we don't add hand-cranks to bikes.

First, our hearts and lungs won't process oxygen and lactic acid any
faster just because we try to use more muscles. So our legs either put
out less power because of the extra drain from the arms, or else we
reach our cardio-pulmonary limit sooner.

The same thing is true if we try to work leg muscles both ways. If we
add more effort to pull up, we reduce the effort we can put into
pushing down. (That's why pulling up can work on a very short, steep,
non-aerobic climb. Pushing and pulling produces more power, and leaves
us exhausted much sooner.)

Second, using more and more muscles tends to be less and less
efficient. Bigger muscles handle repeated effort better. (Imagine
trying to climb a hill by repeatedly squeezing handgrips.)

In the case of bicycling, our bodies are not at all efficient at
pulling our heels up powerfully in the tiny pedal circle.

Just about anyone can repeatedly and rapidly raise an impressive
weight by straightening a leg--that's how we climb stairs, raising our
body weight up each step, one leg at a time.

Try to climb the same stairs with that weight attached to either foot.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

"Graham Steer" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 13 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> Comparing the size of the muscles involved in pushing a leg down to
>> those that lift it up adds weight (pardon the pun) to the results of
>> the testing.

> Runners do pretty well on their hamstrings which are not that
> insignificant!

Plus the fact that the hamstrings are involved in both extending the foot
and retrieving it. They are two joint muscles, and don't follow the simple
lever rule of extension and retraction.

>> Of course, you can briefly pull up hard at a low cadence, but you'll
>> exhaust yourself roughly twice as fast. At a normal cadence, it seems
>> to be next to impossible to pull up.

> I admit that the only time I really pull is when I am climbing out of
> the saddle.

I find that I only consciously use them when I'm tired and climbing from
the seat. Then, it falls in the following idea of using all the muscle
mass, but it does tire them at a much higher rate.

>> Training appears to make little. if any, difference.

> The key to this is not pulling per se but avoiding wasting energy by
> using the down stroke leg to lift the weight of the upstroke leg.
> Single leg pedalling drills can certainly help here to develop what I
> understand to be the "pedalling in circles" concept.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:16:12 +0100, "Graham Steer"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> On 13 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Comparing the size of the muscles involved in pushing a leg down to
>>> those that lift it up adds weight (pardon the pun) to the results of
>>> the testing.

>>Runners do pretty well on their hamstrings which are not that
>>insignificant!
>>
>>> Of course, you can briefly pull up hard at a low cadence, but you'll
>>> exhaust yourself roughly twice as fast. At a normal cadence, it
>>> seems
>>> to be next to impossible to pull up.

>>I admit that the only time I really pull is when I am climbing out of
>>the
>>saddle.
>>
>>> Training appears to make little. if any, difference.

>>The key to this is not pulling per se but avoiding wasting energy by
>>using
>>the down stroke leg to lift the weight of the upstroke leg. Single leg
>>pedalling drills can certainly help here to develop what I understand
>>to be
>>the "pedalling in circles" concept.

> Dear Graham,
>
> As I understand it, there are two main factors in pedal effort.
>
> First, we move our feet in circles. The effort to raise the back leg
> isn't wasted--it's necessary, even with no chain.
>
> It doesn't matter whether we push the trailing leg up with extra
> effort from the leading leg that's busy pushing down, or pull it up
> with extra effort from the trailing leg that would otherwise be
> idle--the same power is required to work both feet in a circle.

Carl, I'll play devil's advocate here. How about if we use just one leg.
We can push down and pull up with one leg and as that leg is supported
by the same cardio-pulmonary system (the limiting factor we hear) then
we should be able to sustain the same endurance power output using two
legs.

Hand crankers cannot match the power output of two legs. Why do you
suppose that the limit to sustainable output is reached exactly at the
utilization of muscles only employed in "mashing". What scientific
evidence is there to support this.

> (I'm tempted to add that we could pull the trailing leg up with a
> string, too, but that would add extra effort--raising and lowering the
> arms.)
>
> Second, we add force against the chain.
>
> The chain can't tell which leg the force comes from.
>
> Nor can our cardio-pulmonary system tell which leg is doing the work.
>
> That is, our hearts and lungs cannot produce more power by shifting
> the total effort around, any more than a car engine can produce more
> power by sending it to four wheels instead of two.

> Jobst points out that this is why we don't add hand-cranks to bikes.
>
> First, our hearts and lungs won't process oxygen and lactic acid any
> faster just because we try to use more muscles. So our legs either put
> out less power because of the extra drain from the arms, or else we
> reach our cardio-pulmonary limit sooner.
>
> The same thing is true if we try to work leg muscles both ways. If we
> add more effort to pull up, we reduce the effort we can put into
> pushing down. (That's why pulling up can work on a very short, steep,
> non-aerobic climb. Pushing and pulling produces more power, and leaves
> us exhausted much sooner.)

I would dispute that. Some of the highest oxygen uptakes have been
recorded by athletes who use both arm and legs (xc skiers).

> Second, using more and more muscles tends to be less and less
> efficient. Bigger muscles handle repeated effort better. (Imagine
> trying to climb a hill by repeatedly squeezing handgrips.)
>
> In the case of bicycling, our bodies are not at all efficient at
> pulling our heels up powerfully in the tiny pedal circle.
>
> Just about anyone can repeatedly and rapidly raise an impressive
> weight by straightening a leg--that's how we climb stairs, raising our
> body weight up each step, one leg at a time.
>
> Try to climb the same stairs with that weight attached to either foot.

It will take more than a mind experiment to convince anybody. The
hamstrings and hip flexors are a significant source of input to the
pedal stroke. There was a study a while back that showed significant
increases in gross efficiency although the study was criticized on a
technicality (its hypothesis statement or some such).

Phil H

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:15:56 -0700, "Phil Holman"
<piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

> [...]

>> efficient. Bigger muscles handle repeated effort better. (Imagine
>> trying to climb a hill by repeatedly squeezing handgrips.)
>>
>> In the case of bicycling, our bodies are not at all efficient at
>> pulling our heels up powerfully in the tiny pedal circle.
>>
>> Just about anyone can repeatedly and rapidly raise an impressive
>> weight by straightening a leg--that's how we climb stairs, raising our
>> body weight up each step, one leg at a time.
>>
>> Try to climb the same stairs with that weight attached to either foot.
>>

>It will take more than a mind experiment to convince anybody. The
>hamstrings and hip flexors are a significant source of input to the
>pedal stroke. There was a study a while back that showed significant
>increases in gross efficiency although the study was criticized on a
>technicality (its hypothesis statement or some such).

Dear Phil,

If I'm following, your point is that adding other leg muscles to the
back half of the pedal cycle might increase sustainable power--more
muscle mass, well-trained, could pull up and reduce the strain on the
original leg muscles that only push down.

I do see the reasoning, so I'm willing to be convinced.

But the limiting factor doesn't seem to be muscle mass. The faster
human long-distance riders and runners don't aim for bulked-up legs.
Like pronghorns, they seem to succeed on cardio-pulmonary grounds.

Humans seem to be good at pushing down alternately with two feet, and
two legs work far better than one. So it's reasonable to wonder if
adding a little bit of pulling up and recruiting a few more muscles
would help--if a little is good, more might be better.

But the theory just doesn't seem to test well.

A problem for all such studies is that ideally we'd start with a test
subject who only pushed down and had never heard of pulling up or
pedaling in circles. Then we'd magically have him switch
instantaneously to the scheme that we want to test.

But the training and the results are never instantaneous. Even if the
pulling-up theory is correct, it takes time to condition the muscles
to produce the effect.

It's only after X months learning to pedal in circles or pull up or
use independent cranks that require pulling up that a test subject may
or may not show some improvement.

Is the improvement from the different approach, or just from the
obviously concentrated training? Or a little of both? The skeptics
point out that the results are small at most and should be expected
from that much effort. But the biology is tricky enough that there
could be something going on. As always, I'd like to see something
marvellously clear and convincing and widely duplicated.

(When they first hear about pulling-up, some people head out on a
familiar ride and make a point of trying to raise their feet on the
backstroke and pedal in circles and so forth. They notice a distinct
speed increase for a few miles, but they soon find themselves getting
tired and forgetting to pull up. Is it the cardio-pulmonary system
protesting against the extra effort? Or do they just need to train
long-idle muscles and make pulling-up second nature?)

To drift back to my original point, at normal cadences there's next to
no sign of actual upward pull on the pedals. The upward force seen in
an occasional test subject seems quite negligible compared to the
downward force. For the ordinary rider, there just isn't much evidence
that the proposed technique yields benefits.

Compare the evidence for the benefits of "pulling up" with the
evidence for high cadences. I'm happy on my 45-50 minute ride with my
stately and ridiculously over-geared 60 rpm, but I'm also convinced by
numerous studies that the Tour riders who cruise for hours at 90+ rpm
are not spinning that fast just to look good. The higher cadence
produces a higher sustainable power output.

In contrast, people who believe that they're pulling up strongly have
trouble convincing strain gauges that they're doing so.

Still, I'm willing to be convinced. If you can dig up a link to that
study that you mentioned, I suspect that I wouldn't be the only one to
click on it.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> [...]

> an occasional test subject seems quite negligible compared to the
> downward force. For the ordinary rider, there just isn't much evidence
> that the proposed technique yields benefits.
>
> Compare the evidence for the benefits of "pulling up" with the
> evidence for high cadences. I'm happy on my 45-50 minute ride with my
> stately and ridiculously over-geared 60 rpm, but I'm also convinced by
> numerous studies that the Tour riders who cruise for hours at 90+ rpm
> are not spinning that fast just to look good. The higher cadence
> produces a higher sustainable power output.
>
> In contrast, people who believe that they're pulling up strongly have
> trouble convincing strain gauges that they're doing so.
>
> Still, I'm willing to be convinced. If you can dig up a link to that
> study that you mentioned, I suspect that I wouldn't be the only one to

Carl, here is the abstract from pubmed. I'll respond to your post above
later today although you could research the google archives for my
reports (#1 thru #4) on powercrank usage over a period of several months
(2000 timeframe).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

Phil H

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 06:38:05 -0700, "Phil Holman"
> [...]

>> evidence for high cadences. I'm happy on my 45-50 minute ride with my
>> stately and ridiculously over-geared 60 rpm, but I'm also convinced by
>> numerous studies that the Tour riders who cruise for hours at 90+ rpm
>> are not spinning that fast just to look good. The higher cadence
>> produces a higher sustainable power output.
>>
>> In contrast, people who believe that they're pulling up strongly have
>> trouble convincing strain gauges that they're doing so.
>>
>> Still, I'm willing to be convinced. If you can dig up a link to that
>> study that you mentioned, I suspect that I wouldn't be the only one to
>> click on it.

>Carl, here is the abstract from pubmed. I'll respond to your post above
>later today although you could research the google archives for my
>reports (#1 thru #4) on powercrank usage over a period of several months

Dear Phil,

Alas, that link is just to the search page for PubMed. Perhaps your
cut-and-paste of the full address missed?

Meanwhile, here are the 13 likely suspects for your previous threads
on powercranks:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=p...1&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2006&safe=off&
or http://tinyurl.com/etv8j

I see titles for #1, #2, and #3, but maybe the numbering broke down
for #4? Presumably the more recent threads are best, so that page is
sorted by date.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> [...]

>>above
>>later today although you could research the google archives for my
>>reports (#1 thru #4) on powercrank usage over a period of several
>>months
>>(2000 timeframe).
>>
>>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed
>>
>>Phil H

> Dear Phil,
>
> Alas, that link is just to the search page for PubMed. Perhaps your
> cut-and-paste of the full address missed?
>
> Meanwhile, here are the 13 likely suspects for your previous threads
> on powercranks:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=p...1&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2006&safe=off&
> or http://tinyurl.com/etv8j
>
> I see titles for #1, #2, and #3, but maybe the numbering broke down
> for #4? Presumably the more recent threads are best, so that page is

Carl, don't know what happened but here it is.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...med&term=powercranks&tool=fuzzy&ot=powercrank

Besides the numbered reports, there was also a final report.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....nal+report&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

Phil H

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:10:55 -0700, "Phil Holman"
<piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message

[snip]

>>>Carl, here is the abstract from pubmed. I'll respond to your post
>>>above
>>>later today although you could research the google archives for my
>>>reports (#1 thru #4) on powercrank usage over a period of several
>>>months
>>>(2000 timeframe).
>>>
>>>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed
>>>
>>>Phil H

>> Dear Phil,
>>
>> Alas, that link is just to the search page for PubMed. Perhaps your
>> cut-and-paste of the full address missed?
>>
>> Meanwhile, here are the 13 likely suspects for your previous threads
>> on powercranks:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=p...1&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2006&safe=off&
>> or http://tinyurl.com/etv8j
>>
>> I see titles for #1, #2, and #3, but maybe the numbering broke down
>> for #4? Presumably the more recent threads are best, so that page is
>> sorted by date.

>Carl, don't know what happened but here it is.
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...med&term=powercranks&tool=fuzzy&ot=powercrank
>
>Besides the numbered reports, there was also a final report.
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec....nal+report&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group
>

>Phil H

Dear Phil,

If I read the abstract correctly, 12 riders trained for 3 one-hour
sessions every week for six weeks at 70% of VO2 max, half of them with
Powercranks, half without.

"No differences were observed between or within groups for VO2max or
AT during the GXT."

The difference was this:

"The Powercranks group had significantly higher GE values than the
normal cranks group (23.6 +/- 1.3% versus 21.3 +/- 1.7%, and 23.9 +/-
1.4% versus 21.0 +/- 1.9% at 45 and 60 min, respectively), and
significantly lower HR at 30, 45, and 60 minutes and VO2 at 45 and 60
minutes during the 1-hour submaximal ride posttraining."

23.6 +/- 1.3%
21.3 +/- 1.7%

23.9 +/1 1.4%
21.0 +/1 1.9%

I'm not sure what the units of Gross Efficiency figures are, but an
obvious question is why one groups that are within 10% to 13% of each
other have +/- uncertainties that are 24% to 26% of each other.

(Unfortunately, the abstract doesn't give heart rate figures.)

Another obvious question is what did the riders do the rest of the
time? That is, they spent 18 hours riding "training" in six weeks
(1,008 hours, plus however long it was until the post-training test).

In the same six weeks, I'd spend about 35 hours "training" on my daily
45-50 minute effort to keep the speedometer average over 20 mph for 15
miles. (No great improvement has been noted yet. I blame winds, a 400
foot ridge, an expanding universe, and everything except sloth and
age.)

The riders who used normal cranks had no apparent spur to concentrate.
They're just cranking along on the same kind of equipment that they're
used to. The riders who were learning to use powercranks had an
obvious spur to concentration--they had to consciously raise each
pedal on the backstoke.

Improved concentration is probably the key to the new toy effect. Tell
the workers that the lighting is being increased because studies show
that it improves productivity, and they perk up. A few weeks later,
tell them that the lights are being turned down, due to further data
showing that a lower level is optimal, and the workers perk up again.

Anything that reduces daydreaming improves effort, which in turn can
have the very real physical effect of improving performance.

Given what look like small differences in a very small group with very
small training times, I want to see a larger, longer study.

I understand that the bigger, longer study is unlikely--until
something hard to study demonstrates a significant advantage, it's
hard to get the money and interest needed to study it well, but the
money and interest are lacking because the advantage hasn't been
demonstrated yet.

But what would you think of a six-week medical study that based diet
recommendations on a comparison of two groups of 6 people, with one
group eating normally for three days of the week, while the other one
ate a strange new diet?

I'd say that the sample was too small to be significant and that it
would be important to start by finding out what they ate the rest of
the time. I'd also be puzzled if two of the four test measures showed
no difference.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> That is, our hearts and lungs cannot produce more power by shifting
> the total effort around, any more than a car engine can produce more
> power by sending it to four wheels instead of two.
>
> Jobst points out that this is why we don't add hand-cranks to bikes.
>
> Carl Fogel

Hand cranks and leg cranks are not successful because they are two
independent actions which cannot be given the necessary total
concentration when one tries to use both at the same time. The same is
true for pulling up and pressing down with leg cranks, it will work
with one legged pedalling but not when both legs are in action. Skiers
can use arms and legs successfully because mentally it is a combined
action to which total concentration can be given for increased power
output. The same combined use of arms and legs can be very successful
in cycling but only when you use a special linear style of pedalling
together with special aerodynamic "Scott Rake" bars. It is said there
is no such thing as a free lunch, this combined action not only
eliminates that notorious dead spot area but with more sensible use of
the more powerful hip muscles, all the necessary additional power is
generated with no problem and is ideal for sustained max power output
in a TT.

[email protected] wrote:
> I recall a thread a few years ago where Andrew Coggan referred to
> studies that showed that pedaling in circles was no more efficient than
> just mashing.
>
> Anyone remember this, or such studies?
>
> I would think that a trained cyclist, pedaling in circles, puts out
> more watts and uses a wider variety of muscles, than someone just
> mashing.
>
> To complicate things I notice there's a website that advises pedaling
> in "triangles." Wassup there?
>
> Here it is: http://www.thesportfactory.com/article_253.shtml
>
> --JP
> allbikemag.com

I think it's not too hard for any rider with a computer or other speed
measuring device on his (or her) bike to figure this out. Just try the
different pedaling styles at the same level of exertion on the same
stretch of road under the same conditions and note which one gives you
the highest speed. You can also figure out which one works best for you
on hills. In my case, I've found that pedaling high cadences in a lower
gear is not as efficient for me. I can do better at 70-75 rpm. It also
helps if I have my seat raised up higher than most of the various
systems call for. I've done as Sheldon Brown advocates and raised it
until I noticed my hips rocking, then lowered it a bit. I think Jobst
advocates the same thing. Pedaling in circles has also not worked that
well for me. To do it I have to lower my seat and the circular pedaling
does not make up for what I'm losing in leg leverage. Another rider
might have an exactly opposite experience. To me this makes more sense
than reading a bunch of studies done on other riders. Find out what
works best for you, then go with that system.

Smokey

Hi,

At Friday 14 July 2006 12:25 in rec.bicycles.tech [email protected]

> Browse down to the graph on page 8 of this pdf:
> http://www.midweekclub.com/articles/coyle91.pdf

There's a somewhat better version of that paper (OCR-ed, apparently, while
the midweekclub.com/.../coyle91.pdf is just a scanned image file) here:

<http://www.edb.utexas.edu/coyle/pdf%20library/(40)%20Coyle
%20Feltner%20et%20al
%20Physiological%20and%20biochemical%20determinants%20of%20elite%20endurance%20cycling%20performance
%20Med%20and%20Sci%20in%20Sports%20and%20Exercise,%2023,%2093-107
%201991.pdf>

This file can be searched and the text copied. FWIW...

Another interesting and relevant paper is available here:

<http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/85/3/927>

If that monster URL gives you trouble, these two resources were the first
two returned by the Google search:

"Physiology and Biomechanics of Cycling" Coyle

(The quote marks _are_ part of the query.)

> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Randall Schulz

Phil Holman wrote:

> There was a study a while back that showed significant
> increases in gross efficiency although the study was criticized on a
> technicality (its hypothesis statement or some such).

Uh, no, that's exactly opposite. It wasn't being criticized on a
technicality, it was being criticized on substantive grounds. It was
being defended on a technicality.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phil Holman wrote:
>
>> There was a study a while back that showed significant
>> increases in gross efficiency although the study was criticized on a
>> technicality (its hypothesis statement or some such).

> Uh, no, that's exactly opposite. It wasn't being criticized on a
> technicality, it was being criticized on substantive grounds. It was
> being defended on a technicality.

I forget the exact details, only that the experts were less than
impressed (Andy Coggan and Jim Martin). However, if the results were
purely chance where 6 subjects showed no change and 6 subjects showed a
~2% gain, the probability of dividing the group this way is 1:924.

Phil H