Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

MASI bikes

Started by Travis · · Last activity · 35 posts · 2,740 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
28 February 2006
Last activity
5 March 2006
Original author
Travis
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,740
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–35 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is this just a matter of looks?

    Not at all...or at least it shouldn't be.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm after a good commuting bike, something for going to work on and
    having nice fast rides on some of the interesting bike paths near me.
    (I live in Thornlie, Gosnells has some interesting bike paths which are
    quite hilly and curvey. I want to go through some of these curves at
    speed and the paths can occasionally be a bit iffy with detritus and
    sand, therefore I want a bike with reasonably good handling for
    obstacle avoidance...)

    Road bikes are for the road. An average rider on a reasonable road bike will
    be travelling at say 30kph, ie too fast for winding paths. And the thin,
    hard tyres do not cope well with either "a bit iffy" or detritus, especially
    on curves... Although it's a generalisation, you might say that in a way
    it's a choice between comfort and bike paths, or speed and roads. Unless
    maybe you're talking about some of the nice new PSP paths along for example
    the railway out to Bayswater or something like that.

    You need to hire/borrow a road bike for a week or two I think.

    Cheers
    David M

  2. "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Any opinions on Avanti?

    Avanti are OK. Good value for money. My wife is on her second Avanti road
    bike. She thought she really liked the first one, but when she got the
    second one fit properly she realised that the first one had been the wrong
    size all along. Now she really *loves* her bike, and funnily enough on a bit
    that fits is a lot faster, and can ride a lot further.

    Cheers
    David M

  3. Davidm said:

    "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is this just a matter of looks?

    Not at all...or at least it shouldn't be.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm after a good commuting bike, something for going to work on and
    having nice fast rides on some of the interesting bike paths near me.
    (I live in Thornlie, Gosnells has some interesting bike paths which are
    quite hilly and curvey. I want to go through some of these curves at
    speed and the paths can occasionally be a bit iffy with detritus and
    sand, therefore I want a bike with reasonably good handling for
    obstacle avoidance...)

    Road bikes are for the road. An average rider on a reasonable road bike will
    be travelling at say 30kph, ie too fast for winding paths. And the thin,
    hard tyres do not cope well with either "a bit iffy" or detritus, especially
    on curves... Although it's a generalisation, you might say that in a way
    it's a choice between comfort and bike paths, or speed and roads. Unless
    maybe you're talking about some of the nice new PSP paths along for example
    the railway out to Bayswater or something like that.

    I've ridden a roady on a lot of the paths around Perth with no dramas
    at all, and a properly set up road bike is at least (I would say more)
    comfortable for riding any sort of real distance than any other class
    of bike.

  4. Davidm said:

    "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Any opinions on Avanti?

    Avanti are OK. Good value for money. My wife is on her second Avanti road
    bike. She thought she really liked the first one, but when she got the
    second one fit properly she realised that the first one had been the wrong
    size all along. Now she really *loves* her bike, and funnily enough on a bit
    that fits is a lot faster, and can ride a lot further

    All this talk of bike fitting inspired me to check the size of the
    Repco Superlight I'm riding now..

    An insurance company had this bike ordered for me sight unseen (and
    definitely without bothering to have me measured!) after my first
    Superlight, which I bought for $50 at a police auction.

    The bloody thing weighs about 13kg on my bathroom scales and not only
    am I riding a bike made from depleted uranium, it turns out its also
    too small for me. Its a 55-56cm, and everyone is telling me I should
    be riding a 60-62. AARGH!

    If I can only settle on which bike to buy it seems like whatever I do
    it will be a vast improvement on what I'm riding now. Even the low end
    Giants that folks around here love to hang [censored] on would be a 100%
    improvement... :-)

  5. Travis wrote:

    I've got to get into the habit of finishing sentences. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    An insurance company had this bike ordered for me sight unseen (and
    definitely without bothering to have me measured!) after my first
    Superlight, which I bought for $50 at a police auction

    .... was stolen again.

  6. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:21:46 +0800

    Davidm said:

    Glen Parker Cycles, Nedlands

    What, still going? I got my first 10 speed from them (which was major
    status having gears let me tell you!).

    Zebee

  7. Bleve said:
    byron27 said:

    Also, at around 190cm, i would recommend that if the masi is alloy,
    maybe have a good long think about it. From my experience (7 alloy
    frames and 195cm) Top end alloy stuff, no worries, mid range,
    framesnaptown.

    Here's a data point. I'm only 183cm, but am 92kg (fat, lazy
    sprinter!), 56,000km on a Trek 1400, no frame damage. This includes a
    lot of high-torque frame twisting training and racing. One of my
    riders has destroyed a GT frame (88 or so kg, strong sprinter, same
    sort of training I do on mine), snapped it at the seatpost/BB junction
    after maybe 20,000km? Maybe that's a frame design issue, or maybe I've
    been lucky and he hasn't.

    Without wishing to sound like Trek groupie I've put similar mileage on
    to my 1200, and that bike is laden with about 10kgs of luggage on the
    panniers 95% of the time. Still going strong :-)
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  8. Euan said:

    Without wishing to sound like Trek groupie I've put similar mileage on
    to my 1200, and that bike is laden with about 10kgs of luggage on the

    I have to stop reading this group directly after the monastery -- my
    first thought on reading this was "When did Euan take up photography,
    and why the hell did he spend money on a lens costing well over a
    hundred grand? And can I borrow it some time for the giggle value?"

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  9. "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Davidm said:

    "Travis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Any opinions on Avanti?

    Avanti are OK. Good value for money. My wife is on her second Avanti road
    bike. She thought she really liked the first one, but when she got the
    second one fit properly she realised that the first one had been the
    wrong
    size all along. Now she really *loves* her bike, and funnily enough on a
    bit
    that fits is a lot faster, and can ride a lot further

    All this talk of bike fitting inspired me to check the size of the
    Repco Superlight I'm riding now..

    An insurance company had this bike ordered for me sight unseen (and
    definitely without bothering to have me measured!) after my first
    Superlight, which I bought for $50 at a police auction.

    The bloody thing weighs about 13kg on my bathroom scales and not only
    am I riding a bike made from depleted uranium, it turns out its also
    too small for me. Its a 55-56cm, and everyone is telling me I should
    be riding a 60-62. AARGH!

    If I can only settle on which bike to buy it seems like whatever I do
    it will be a vast improvement on what I'm riding now. Even the low end
    Giants that folks around here love to hang [censored] on would be a 100%
    improvement... :-)

    TimC and I are both riding Giant OCR3s and while I think we'd both happily
    say that they're far from the greatest thing on two wheels, they're not a
    bad way to get around. After having mine for a year, I'm finding the
    geometry a trifle aggressive, but I'm a lazy sod. I've fitted it with
    different bars (bullhorns) which altered the riding position a fair bit and
    I like it a lot more now. There are other brands that make bikes in that
    sort of range as well so if you can stump up ~$1000 go test riding, it'll
    make a real difference.

  10. quote='Travis'byron27 said:

    Just a couple of things on the issue, and this is strictly my opinion,
    so take it as you may.

    My mate bought a Masi from Bike Force, South Perth a couple of months
    ago and is happy with it, but he reckons it is no where near as good as
    his old bike which was a Klein Quantum. He was dazzled by getting Durace
    over his old Ultegra, though now would have bought a Durace groupset and
    put it on his old frame. I assume you want your frame to last longer
    than your groupset so ignore the groupset.

    Also, at around 190cm, i would recommend that if the masi is alloy,
    maybe have a good long think about it. From my experience (7 alloy
    frames and 195cm) Top end alloy stuff, no worries, mid range,
    framesnaptown.

    Thanks for that advice, I guess this is one area where I would want to
    be cautious about buying a bike without a lifetime warranty.

    Another bike which I've had suggested to me by a LBS was the Avanti
    Carbonio. He offered me a 10sp version for under $2K and its a full
    carbon fibre frame with 105 groupset.

    I am however concerned that carbon fibre is inherently expensive so a
    new CF bike this cheap must have many cut corners.

    Any opinions on Avanti?[/QUOTE]
    gee, ok, this is only my experience, and i have had good ones with their mountain bikes, but 5 of the frames i have snapped have been Avanti road bikes. All alloy mind you and this was around 3-5 years ago so maybe their frame design has changed.

    I dont know if your sold a certain kind of frame material or if you want a full bike setup but i have a Bianchi Steel road frame, 61cm, sitting at home gathering dust which is available for sale (plug plug)

  11. byron27 said:

    gee, ok, this is only my experience, and i have had good ones with their mountain bikes, but 5 of the frames i have snapped have been Avanti road bikes. All alloy mind you and this was around 3-5 years ago so maybe their frame design has changed.

    I dont know if your sold a certain kind of frame material or if you want a full bike setup but i have a Bianchi Steel road frame, 61cm, sitting at home gathering dust which is available for sale (plug plug)

    sounds like you should just not be allowed near bikes!

  12. flyingdutch said:

    sounds like you should just not be allowed near bikes!


    Just not [censored] bikes dutchie!

  13. On 2006-03-01, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:
    Euan said:

    Without wishing to sound like Trek groupie I've put similar mileage on
    to my 1200, and that bike is laden with about 10kgs of luggage on the

    I have to stop reading this group directly after the monastery -- my
    first thought on reading this was "When did Euan take up photography,
    and why the hell did he spend money on a lens costing well over a
    hundred grand? And can I borrow it some time for the giggle value?"

    Hmmm. 1200 I can see, but I didn't know Trek made lenses.

    I get far more confused about where I am when the first message I come
    across in the monastery (directly below a.b in my slrnrc file) is a
    thread involving Random Data, Zebee, yourself and me about cycling.

    --
    TimC
    "The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
    It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry

  14. TimC said:

    I get far more confused about where I am when the first message I come
    across in the monastery (directly below a.b in my slrnrc file) is a thread
    involving Random Data, Zebee, yourself and me about cycling.

    Oh, we haven't done that in days!

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "The wages of sin is death, but so's the salary of virtue, and at least
    the Evil get to go home early on Fridays" - Pratchett

  15. Steve said:

    Trek will always sell to the Lance wanabees for the extra dosh.
    Steve

    And to people who like the fit of the bike better. A Lance wannabe I'm
    not but I do like my Trek.

    Generealisations are dangerous things.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.