Mavic Freehub problems

wraithwrider

Sep 21, 2006
Hiya

I've got a pair of Mavic Kyserium Equipes fitted to one of my road bikes. They replaced the Aksiums that the bike came fitted with and I got them unused off Ebay for a good price.

They ride really well and the bearings are good. I thought that I had a problem with the set up of the rear gear (Dura Ace long arm) as I sometimes had problems with trying to pedal backwards at a standstill. I was going to go through the setup sometime soon.

Today while out riding I had some freehub slip going on for a short while and while cleaning the bike I noticed that spinning the rear wheel forward caused the chain to bunch up. The freehub was dragging for a while (it's okay now). There's obviously a problem in the freehub causing it to slip and drag.

Can they be serviced/replaced?

Please tell me they can or it's new wheels time.

Peter

Well the silence in here is deafening:rolleyes:

With no advice forthcoming I've dived in and sorted the problem out.

Firstly the freehub on the Kyserium Equipe is a very downmarket affair comared to it's more expensive cousins and the Mavic pdf file on freehub maintenance is not applicable at all.

This may help others in the future:

1. Remove rear wheel and squewer

2. Remove the cassette with the apropriate tools, in my case a chain whip and the Shimano adapter

3. With two 17mm spanners loosen and remove the axle on the drive side, all threads are right handed

4. Remove the freehub centre, again a 17mm socket. To prevent the freehub from turning replace the cassette and use the whip.

5. Simply slide off the freehub while being ready to catch the 2 pawls and their tiny coil springs

This freehub is very basic with no oil seals, the oil in mine was evident for being outside the freehub as much as inside:(

When the pawls and springs are correctly located the whole pawl/spring assembly should fold away flush. One of mine was not doing this because the spring hadn't been properly located on it's spigot/hole. A very simple problem.

I've put many drops of mineral oil in there but the lack of seals means that it'll soon dissapear.

A very cheap and cheerful freewheel sorted. It'll need regular attention.

Okay so these wheels are only just over £200 but I am quite dissapointed in their use of such a rudimentary freehub.

Hope this helps someone else sometime.

Peter

Sounds like you may have just received a bum rear wheel. I would take advantage of the Mavic Warranty [if you are within the time limits]. :rolleyes:

wraithwrider said:
Well the silence in here is deafening:rolleyes:

With no advice forthcoming I've dived in and sorted the problem out.

Firstly the freehub on the Kyserium Equipe is a very downmarket affair comared to it's more expensive cousins and the Mavic pdf file on freehub maintenance is not applicable at all.

This may help others in the future:

1. Remove rear wheel and squewer

2. Remove the cassette with the apropriate tools, in my case a chain whip and the Shimano adapter

3. With two 17mm spanners loosen and remove the axle on the drive side, all threads are right handed

4. Remove the freehub centre, again a 17mm socket. To prevent the freehub from turning replace the cassette and use the whip.

5. Simply slide off the freehub while being ready to catch the 2 pawls and their tiny coil springs

This freehub is very basic with no oil seals, the oil in mine was evident for being outside the freehub as much as inside:(

When the pawls and springs are correctly located the whole pawl/spring assembly should fold away flush. One of mine was not doing this because the spring hadn't been properly located on it's spigot/hole. A very simple problem.

I've put many drops of mineral oil in there but the lack of seals means that it'll soon dissapear.

A very cheap and cheerful freewheel sorted. It'll need regular attention.

Okay so these wheels are only just over £200 but I am quite dissapointed in their use of such a rudimentary freehub.

Hope this helps someone else sometime.

Peter

Hiya CarbonG

The only bum bit in terms of a defect was the one pawl spring not properly located. Easily sorted and it all operates perfectly now.

The basic cheap and nasty freehub design is still, to me, dissapointing.

It'll not keep the oil in which means it'll need more regular maintenance.

The freehub on the Kyseriums proper is a much better designed affair.

Peter