MB Suggestions Around $500

Fastfwd

Guest
I'm thinking about getting back into bicycling a bit for some badly needed
exercise. Nothing too hardcore. A bike that might be suitable for some
off-road trial riding and likely pull duty for a bit of urban riding. A
'hardtail' looks like the term of style that I'm considering.

I'm on a tight budget, but I would like to get something that is decent
quality - around $500. I realize this is a pretty subjective subject and
there may possibly even be a bias in this particular Usenet group regarding
brand loyalty, but I'm curious what suggestions might be out there. I had a
pair of secondhand Treks in college, but that's been over 10 years ago now
and I haven't looked at bikes since.

I ran across a Cannondale '06 F300 at a local dealer that was discounted to
$425! I seem to remember Cannondale as a quality brand. I see that this is
a model that appears to have been around for a few years and is possibly
being discontinued. That wouldn't make any difference to me if this is a
good bike.

I'm also noticing the Trek 4300/4300 Disc. Looks like they have a no name
brand fork? RST? Not familiar with these brands. How does it stack up?
Frame quality/components with a mind that I might look to upgrade some
components, but I would like some assurance of quality out of the box
because I don't intend on being that into the biking again.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Websites to review. Other brands and
models in that range that are good deals for a casual rider. Thanks.

--
A sickened mind and spirit
The mirror tells me lies

THX 1138

"Fastfwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about getting back into bicycling a bit for some badly needed
> exercise. Nothing too hardcore. A bike that might be suitable for some
> off-road trial riding and likely pull duty for a bit of urban riding. A
> 'hardtail' looks like the term of style that I'm considering.
>
> I'm on a tight budget, but I would like to get something that is decent
> quality - around $500. I realize this is a pretty subjective subject and
> there may possibly even be a bias in this particular Usenet group
> regarding
> brand loyalty, but I'm curious what suggestions might be out there. I had
> pair of secondhand Treks in college, but that's been over 10 years ago now
> and I haven't looked at bikes since.
>
> I ran across a Cannondale '06 F300 at a local dealer that was discounted
> $425! I seem to remember Cannondale as a quality brand. I see that this
> is
> a model that appears to have been around for a few years and is possibly
> being discontinued. That wouldn't make any difference to me if this is a
> good bike.
>
> I'm also noticing the Trek 4300/4300 Disc. Looks like they have a no name
> brand fork? RST? Not familiar with these brands. How does it stack up?
> Frame quality/components with a mind that I might look to upgrade some
> components, but I would like some assurance of quality out of the box
> because I don't intend on being that into the biking again.
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome. Websites to review. Other brands and
> models in that range that are good deals for a casual rider. Thanks.
>
> --
> A sickened mind and spirit
> The mirror tells me lies
> Could I mistake myself for someone
> Who lives behind my eyes
> Will he escape my soul
> Or will he live in me
> Is he tryin' to get out or tryin' to enter me
>
> THX 1138

I have a Cannondale F300, it's been a very dependable bike, but I mainly use
on the paved trails and have only occasionally taken it to the dirt. The
problem I found is it has low Bottom Bracket clearance and the pedals will
sometimes clip the ground. I think this is because the frame geometry is
designed for a Cannondale Headshock suspension which is longer the Rock Shok
fork. But I have over 3000 miles on it and it's been very dependable but
again it's been used lightly for a mountain bike. I've also had a Trek
4300 for a short time, there's not much difference between the two. Both
are probably acceptable for an entry level bike that will not be subject to
hard abuse.

You can't go wrong with cannondale!!! However, more important than
brand is comfort. Bike at a given price wil share the same level of
components so fit and comfort are crucial. That 06 F300 is a nice bike
and a good price

[email protected] wrote:
> You can't go wrong with cannondale!!! However, more important than
> brand is comfort. Bike at a given price wil share the same level of
> components so fit and comfort are crucial. That 06 F300 is a nice bike
> and a good price

Bwahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO waiting for JD to chime in. You opened the
door. Buh-bye.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <mitchell@[NOSPAM]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > You can't go wrong with cannondale!!! However, more important than
> > brand is comfort. Bike at a given price wil share the same level of
> > components so fit and comfort are crucial. That 06 F300 is a nice bike
> > and a good price

> Bwahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO waiting for JD to chime in. You opened the
> door. Buh-bye.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

I'll start the drum roll........

"Fastfwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about getting back into bicycling a bit for some badly needed
> exercise. Nothing too hardcore. A bike that might be suitable for some
> off-road trial riding and likely pull duty for a bit of urban riding. A
> 'hardtail' looks like the term of style that I'm considering.
>
> I'm on a tight budget, but I would like to get something that is decent
> quality - around $500.

There are a lot of contenders for the sub-$500 marketplace, and the reality
is that most of them will be OK for commuting or flat trail riding for a
novice and recreational rider. None of them are likely suitable for any
serious trail riding. If you consider the retail shop, distributor and
manufacturer all have to make their margins, the actual price point of the
bikes in this arena drops considerably.

So instead of harping on brand names or specific models, here's a few
guidelines that IMHO might get you the best suited bike you can find.

1 - Get fitted. Go to a local bike shop and ride several bikes. Find out a
basic frame size that works for you. Account for seat height, saddle
position, handlebar shape and stem length. Have a knowlegable salesperson
assist you to understand correct posture. Determine what "ball park" frame
size works for you, or get some measurements of the seat and top tubes for
brand comparisons. Could be you even find that a hybrid bike is more suited
to what you want to do.

2 - Check for prior year closeouts. Lots of bike shops may have NOS bikes
at this time of year, and some might be discounted.

3 - If you have bike knowlegable friends, consider the used market. Most
bikes drop 30-50% in value within a couple of years. If they are gently
used, you can save a bundle.

4 - Stick to basics. At this price point, you're not likely to find a high
quality fork or decent disc brakes. Most bike brands share frames between
several models. i.e. the same frame (maybe different paint) gets built with
different qualities of components. Get a decent frame and the best set of
components in your price range. Components can be easily upgraded, but it
sounds like you're interested in a turn-key bike. Don't get suckered by a
bike that advertises disc brakes <or other> at a low price, they are likely
of a quality level that makes their

5 - Forget specific brands. Comments like "you can't go wrong with XXXXX"
show a lack of experience and knowledge of the industry. Within any maker
some models might be fine, some might be junk.

Sorry - hit the wrong key. Complete sentences below.

news:[email protected]...

Mamba wrote:
> Sorry - hit the wrong key. Complete sentences below.
>
> "Mamba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Fastfwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>4 - Stick to basics. At this price point, you're not likely to find a
>>high quality fork or decent disc brakes. Most bike brands share frames
>>between several models. i.e. the same frame (maybe different paint) gets
>>built with different qualities of components. Get a decent frame and the
>>best set of components in your price range. Components can be easily
>>upgraded, but it sounds like you're interested in a turn-key bike. Don't
>>get suckered by a bike that advertises disc brakes <or other> at a low
>>price, they are likely of a quality level that makes their usefulness (or
>>even safety) questionable.

Good advise. You could probably go wrong with any brand.

I've had good luck with Specialized when it comes to mass produced
bikes, but I've always aimed my price point a little higher.

Matt

Name a Cannondale that isnt top line. They are made in America and
world championship proven. No company makes as good an AL frame at the
price. Yes lefty fork sux but thtas one thing. I own two and would
not hesitate to buy another. The OP could get a leftovewr C'dale for
<$500. Normally that bike would cost more. A $500 trek or other
chinese make is just that.

Mamba wrote:
> "Fastfwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm thinking about getting back into bicycling a bit for some badly needed
> > exercise. Nothing too hardcore. A bike that might be suitable for some
> > off-road trial riding and likely pull duty for a bit of urban riding. A
> > 'hardtail' looks like the term of style that I'm considering.
> >
> > I'm on a tight budget, but I would like to get something that is decent
> > quality - around $500.

> There are a lot of contenders for the sub-$500 marketplace, and the reality
> is that most of them will be OK for commuting or flat trail riding for a
> novice and recreational rider. None of them are likely suitable for any
> serious trail riding. If you consider the retail shop, distributor and
> manufacturer all have to make their margins, the actual price point of the
> bikes in this arena drops considerably.
>
> So instead of harping on brand names or specific models, here's a few
> guidelines that IMHO might get you the best suited bike you can find.
>
> 1 - Get fitted. Go to a local bike shop and ride several bikes. Find out a
> basic frame size that works for you. Account for seat height, saddle
> position, handlebar shape and stem length. Have a knowlegable salesperson
> assist you to understand correct posture. Determine what "ball park" frame
> size works for you, or get some measurements of the seat and top tubes for
> brand comparisons. Could be you even find that a hybrid bike is more suited
> to what you want to do.
>
> 2 - Check for prior year closeouts. Lots of bike shops may have NOS bikes
> at this time of year, and some might be discounted.
>
> 3 - If you have bike knowlegable friends, consider the used market. Most
> bikes drop 30-50% in value within a couple of years. If they are gently
> used, you can save a bundle.
>
> 4 - Stick to basics. At this price point, you're not likely to find a high
> quality fork or decent disc brakes. Most bike brands share frames between
> several models. i.e. the same frame (maybe different paint) gets built with
> different qualities of components. Get a decent frame and the best set of
> components in your price range. Components can be easily upgraded, but it
> sounds like you're interested in a turn-key bike. Don't get suckered by a
> bike that advertises disc brakes <or other> at a low price, they are likely
> of a quality level that makes their
>
> 5 - Forget specific brands. Comments like "you can't go wrong with XXXXX"
> show a lack of experience and knowledge of the industry. Within any maker
> some models might be fine, some might be junk.

Hope nobody minds the top posting.. Anyway, I really appreciate the
advice.it sounds like this group has a few very caring bikers in it! I put
money down on the Cannondale. I have very limited funds and at $425 I think
it was a deal that just wasn't going to be matched. I hated to see it be
passed up.

I believe they gave me an extra price break because I indeed have concern
for need of exercise.. Although the layaway sort of defeats the immediate
benefit - I will surely make good use of the bike in the very near future
(it's pretty damn cold atm anyway). I appreciated their gesture.
www.wheelerdealerbicycles.com <<<plug for them.. I hope they didn't push off
a model that isn't the best fit now J

After looking at the Treks I decided that the 4500 was likely the lowest
model that I would consider and it was going to cost a bit more than the
deal on the F300. I just couldn't get over that 'Made In China' sticker on
the front of all the Treks. Why in the world would they allow that? It
just screams junk even if they are actually very high quality. I'm sure
they are fine bikes, but I think I'll be happy with the Cannondale and it
feels like I got a deal on it. See you guys out there, thanks!

--
> [...]

>> between
>> several models. i.e. the same frame (maybe different paint) gets built
>> with
>> different qualities of components. Get a decent frame and the best set
>> of
>> components in your price range. Components can be easily upgraded, but
>> it
>> sounds like you're interested in a turn-key bike. Don't get suckered by
>> bike that advertises disc brakes <or other> at a low price, they are
>> likely
>> of a quality level that makes their
>>
>> 5 - Forget specific brands. Comments like "you can't go wrong with
>> XXXXX"
>> show a lack of experience and knowledge of the industry. Within any
>> maker
>> some models might be fine, some might be junk.

You will enjoy the F300. Good fork , great frame. Remember, even if
you upgrade some bits in the future you will still have a cannondale
frame to add on to. Others who pay more will just have a made in china
bike.

[email protected] wrote:
> You will enjoy the F300. Good fork , great frame. Remember, even if
> you upgrade some bits in the future you will still have a cannondale
> frame to add on to. Others who pay more will just have a made in china
> bike.

Well that's not very logical. There's also **** made in USA and nice
stuff made in China. With lower costs in China, the manufacturer may be
able to spend more on better components or materials.
I'm not going to argue the merits of those two particular bikes because
I don't really know either one very well, but basing the decision on
where it was manufactured is only looking at one small part of the
equation.
I've had a Canondale in the past and it was a fine bike for the money.
What I didn't like was some of their proprietary "innovations" that
didn't seem to add anything but vendor lock-in.

> Fastfwd wrote:
>
>>Hope nobody minds the top posting.. Anyway, I really appreciate the

Actually, top posting is generally frowned upon 'round these parts. You
might get heckled or ignored if you keep it up.

Enjoy your new bike!

Matt

[email protected] wrote:
> Name a Cannondale that isnt top line.

All of them.

> They are made in America and world championship proven.

WTF does racing have to do with anything? The "world championship"
that may or may have not been your proof was on a custom bike that was
built to last only one "season". You need to quit reading ragazines
and start riding bicycles.

********. You are a true crackandfail zombie, aren't you?

> Yes lefty fork sux but thtas one thing.

One of many.

> I own two and would not hesitate to buy another.

Hence, the root of your obviously insane blind brand loyalty. The 'ol
"I bought crackandfails, so they must be the best" syndrome. What a
compete and total buffoon!

> The OP could get a leftovewr C'dale for
> <$500. Normally that bike would cost more. A $500 trek or other
> chinese make is just that.

Did you ever stop and think for one minute that there are bicycles
manufactured in Asia that may be a shitpot better than a lousy
crackandfail? Yolur flag waving is not only boring, it's uninformed
and ridiculous.

JD

NO Taiwan made **** equals a quality American bike. My bikes are
Lemond Buenos Aires (made in USA) rides far better than any aluminum
chinee garbage. I have a '98 Cannondale F400 that is great for a MTB
and a C'dale XR800 'cross. There are two types of cyclists- Those who
ride Cannondale and those who wish they did. I challenge you to find a
made in taiwan bike better than an American built one. I havent been
able to and back it up with my bike $$$. Once the OP rides his new
C'dale he will understand.

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:26:42 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

> You will enjoy the F300. Good fork , great frame. Remember, even if
> you upgrade some bits in the future you will still have a cannondale
> frame to add on to. Others who pay more will just have a made in china
> bike.

And you have fun on yer little F400 Féminine.
__
Slack

> [email protected] wrote: There are two types of cyclists- Those who ride Cannondale and those who wish they did.

You're kidding, right? I actually might buy a C'dale for the right
price in the right circumstance, but it's far from the top of my
list. To suggest I wish I rode one is idiotic, if I wanted one I would
have bought one. Tell me, what does a C'dale offer over my Ventana
that results in my "wishing I rode a Cannondale"? Even if you do
make a conscious effort to buy American when possible, there are many
quality bikes made here in the USA as well as overseas.

Regarding brand loyalty, it's best to evaluate each item and not
blindly follow a name. That said, I'm not aware of lousy Ventana or
Seven. However, I have certainly ridden a couple POS C'dales.

I find myself wishing I rode more. I find myself wishing I could ride
better. I've wished I could ride faster, drier, and with less flat
tires. I have never, ever wished I was riding a C'dale.

[email protected] wrote:
> NO Taiwan made **** equals a quality American bike. My bikes are
> Lemond Buenos Aires (made in USA) rides far better than any aluminum
> chinee garbage. I have a '98 Cannondale F400 that is great for a MTB
> and a C'dale XR800 'cross. There are two types of cyclists- Those who
> ride Cannondale and those who wish they did. I challenge you to find a
> made in taiwan bike better than an American built one. I havent been
> able to and back it up with my bike $$$. Once the OP rides his new
> C'dale he will understand.

Where did I write anything about Taiwan? I stated ASIA, you blind
twit!

Your flag waving is completely retarded and if it's any indication of
how you ride your bicycle on the trail, don't ever get in my way
because I'll run you over on your stars and stripes bike.

Anyone who wishes they rode a Cannondale would be more retarded than
those who buy into that flag-waving ********.

BTW, your "lemond" is a le-trek, moron. Buying a name that is a
disguised POS trek is even worse than owning a crackandfail. You're
just full of **** and a lack of common sense, aren't you?

JD

> JD wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Name a Cannondale that isnt top line.

> > All of them.
> >
> > > They are made in America and world championship proven.

> > WTF does racing have to do with anything? The "world championship"
> > that may or may have not been your proof was on a custom bike that was
> > built to last only one "season". You need to quit reading ragazines
> > and start riding bicycles.
> >
> > > No company makes as good an AL frame at the price.

> > ********. You are a true crackandfail zombie, aren't you?
> >
> > > Yes lefty fork sux but thtas one thing.

> > One of many.
> >
> > > I own two and would not hesitate to buy another.

> > Hence, the root of your obviously insane blind brand loyalty. The 'ol
> > "I bought crackandfails, so they must be the best" syndrome. What a
> > compete and total buffoon!
> >
> > > The OP could get a leftovewr C'dale for
> > > <$500. Normally that bike would cost more. A $500 trek or other
> > > chinese make is just that.

> > Did you ever stop and think for one minute that there are bicycles
> > manufactured in Asia that may be a shitpot better than a lousy
> > crackandfail? Yolur flag waving is not only boring, it's uninformed
> > and ridiculous.
> >
> > JD

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Name a Cannondale that isnt top line. They are made in America and
> world championship proven. No company makes as good an AL frame at the
> price. Yes lefty fork sux but thtas one thing. I own two and would
> not hesitate to buy another. The OP could get a leftovewr C'dale for
> <$500. Normally that bike would cost more. A $500 trek or other
> chinese make is just that.

A Cannondale that isn't op of the line? You're kidding, right? Their
models are good contenders IN THEIR MARKET. No better or worse than most of
their competitors.

To match your logic, consider now many skilled American craftsmen will work
for under, say $10 an hour. Perhaps that's a top days' pay for someone in
Asia doing the same job in the same automated factory. Yes, automated. And
No, you're not going to get hand-done welds on a $500 retail bike, so forget
the personal touch thang. "American made" is a nice patriotic touch, but
means little in the mass-produced bike marketplace as far a quality goes.
And where do you think 90% of the other components on that bike come from?

And World championshiops are decided by riders. All big brands make
excellent race bikes for the race circuit. (Think they're stock offerings?)
At that level the quality differences are minute. The difference is the
guy/gal doing the riding.

So while I wasn't specifically dissing C'dale, I do disagree that any brand
should be recommended without consideration of the other bike and riding
aspects I mentioned.

But by all means, buy C'dale and only C'dale if it makes you feel good. I
prefer to use research, test rides, and well informed feedback before I
decide on a bike purchase. I beleive that's what the OP was requesting as
well.

Cheers
Gary

JD wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> Cannondale went bankrupt in late 2002, and file for chapter 11
>> protection in early 2003. The were bought out by their biggest creditor
>> "Pegasus International."

> Spoilsport! I wanted to see them crack and flail more.

I hate to defend a bicycle company I abhor but alot of the bankruptcy
was due to their misguided attempt at entering the moto market.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine