McWhiner is a complete pinhead.

Tritonrider

Guest
From Cyclingnews.com http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul08news

McEwen finished sixth in the stage today, that was won by his compatriot Baden Cooke. However he
managed to hold onto the green jersey by just one point, having taken a couple of points in an
intermediate bonus sprint. "With one kilometre to go I was on the right and things just stopped
there," said McEwen post-stage to VRT. "I had to try and move to the right and take whatever was
left. Lotto-Domo and Fassa Bortolo have done all the work today. In the finale some other teams came
to the front and there was no room left for us. We could use some more help from other sprinters
teams like Telekom."

McEwen continued, "I don't understand what the classement riders think they are doing mingling in
the sprint anyway? They find themselves in a situation they know nothing about and then they crash.

Let's see, nobody is working, none of the teams without top notch sprinters should be even close to
the front, and GC types should just go to the back because they are idiots. Way to make friends
Robbie. Bill C

sorry robbie, you mean the other riders are guilty of trying to stay near the front after the crash
on stage 1 that would have killed someone had they not all been wearing helmets. how dare they ! you
think that nearly every team isn't trying to keep their 'protected' riders even closer to the front
than usual now ? i think robbie is just ****** about being completely overshadowed by the
overbearing success of the fdjuex.com aussie tandem of cooke and mcgee, or maybe its just the small
guy napoleon complex, i don't know. i want zabel in green anyway.

shawn

ps: think about what mark lotz (rabobank) would have looked like had he not had a helmet on and
you decide.

In article <[email protected]>, "Shawn Jelley"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> sorry robbie, you mean the other riders are guilty of trying to stay near the front after the
> crash on stage 1 that would have killed someone had they not all been wearing helmets.

can you remind us how many riders have died in the last 50 years in a massive crash like that in the
final kilometer of a race?

> ps: think about what mark lotz (rabobank) would have looked like had he not had a helmet on and
> you decide.

considering that he broke his cheekbone, I am sure the helmet did him a lot of good.

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,6717,5003,00.html

jyh.

jean-yves herve' /\ Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail --> [email protected] and Statistics /\
University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400 Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401)
874-4617 USA \/

i'm not sure how you mean that helmet comment, i think it was pro-helmet, but a fractured cheekbone
would seem to be the result of a partial-faceplant or blunt trauma to the face. last i recall, the
same happend to andrei kivilev when he crashed in paris-nice, and i think we all know how andrei
ended up. and i haven't heard of a single rider yet who has not complained about that turn being so
close to the finish, leblanc should count his lucky starts that no one was injured more seriously.

shawn

Shawn Jelley wrote:

> ps: think about what mark lotz (rabobank) would have looked like had he not had a helmet on and
> you decide.

What would he have looked like if he had been wearing a thong?

I consider myself a Robbie fan, to some degree, but I sure am glad the Aussies have a lot of other
great athletes to cheer about.

> From Cyclingnews.com http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul08news
>

> McEwen finished sixth in the stage today, that was won by his compatriot
Baden
> Cooke. However he managed to hold onto the green jersey by just one point, having taken a couple
> of points in an intermediate bonus sprint. "With one kilometre to go I was on the right and things
> just stopped there," said
McEwen
> post-stage to VRT. "I had to try and move to the right and take whatever
was
> left. Lotto-Domo and Fassa Bortolo have done all the work today. In the
finale
> some other teams came to the front and there was no room left for us. We
could
> use some more help from other sprinters teams like Telekom."
>
> McEwen continued, "I don't understand what the classement riders think
they are
> doing mingling in the sprint anyway? They find themselves in a situation
they
> know nothing about and then they crash.
>
> Let's see, nobody is working, none of the teams without top notch
sprinters
> should be even close to the front, and GC types should just go to the back because they are
> idiots. Way to make friends Robbie. Bill C

Here, here. Knowing that O'Grady, McGee, Cooke, Rogers, Matt Wilson, Nick Gates are all in the Tour
and the worst of the lot is twice the sportsman that McEwen is though you have to admit that Robbie
is a sprinter.

But I love it when he's riding against Graeme Brown who ain't taking no guff from a dink.

news:[email protected]...

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shawn Jelley wrote:
>
> > ps: think about what mark lotz (rabobank) would have looked like
had he not
> > had a helmet on and you decide.
>
> What would he have looked like if he had been wearing a thong?

Probably pretty nasty. And besides - it's against he rules.

Jean-Ives asked a plain, simple question - how many riders have died in conditions like that in
the last 100 years of the Tour de France? If you can't answer that then please don't continue
this charade.

"Shawn Jelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i'm not sure how you mean that helmet comment, i think it was
pro-helmet,
> but a fractured cheekbone would seem to be the result of a
partial-faceplant
> or blunt trauma to the face. last i recall, the same happend to
andrei
> kivilev when he crashed in paris-nice, and i think we all know how
andrei
> ended up. and i haven't heard of a single rider yet who has not
complained
> about that turn being so close to the finish, leblanc should count
his lucky
> starts that no one was injured more seriously.
>
> shawn

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Shawn Jelley wrote:
>
> > ps: think about what mark lotz (rabobank) would have looked like had he not had a helmet on and
> > you decide.
>
> What would he have looked like if he had been wearing a thong?
Well if he was wearing thongs, then he would probably have sore feet after 200 km. And losing skin
off your toes is never fun

I was impressed by the big bunny hop by one of the Euskatel riders on the right side of the picture
jsut after Guterriez went down and a couple of riders followed him. You can see the Euskatel rider
clearing them all

I cam understand the sprinters comments however. They and their teammates are fighting for position.
ANd then you have the GC riders trying to stay out of trouble to avoid gaps opening and losing time
to their competitors. I dont think there is an easy answer Garry Allen

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> What would he have looked like if he had been wearing a thong?

Hey! Let's stay on topic, huh? The FACTS ARE: McWhiner is a jerk now, he was a jerk last year, he
was a jerk the year before, and he'll be a jerk next year. He's a whiny jerk, plain and simple. On
the other hand, sometimes he wins fair and square, earning the right to be a jerk for a little while
longer. At least he's the dumb-jock sort of whiny jerk, and not the cry-baby sort of whiny jerk like
Millar. Troll that, will ya!

Julio Steen wrote:

> Hey! Let's stay on topic, huh? The FACTS ARE: McWhiner is a jerk

No, that's an OPINION.

> the right to be a jerk for a little while longer. At least he's the dumb-jock sort of whiny jerk,
> and not the cry-baby sort of whiny jerk like Millar. Troll that, will ya!

Frankly, I don't believe anything a bike racer tells me after a race :) If you believe in
stereotypes, I'd suggest that both McEwen and Millar reflect their respective national psyches
fairly well.

And wouldn't bike racing be SO boring if all the winner said was "I was better than everyone else"
and all the losers had to say was "We weren't good enough"??

Oh and in case you hadn't spotted it, the thong reference is now an inside RBR joke :) STF

Originally posted by Tritonrider
From Cyclingnews.com http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul08news

[...]

Like so many unattractive aspects of modern western culture, we too have sportsmen with ATITUDE - DUDE - sickening isn't it?
Mind you we still have some who can demonstrate the better side of their characters under pressure like McGee, Cooke, O'Grady. It may not last for the Aussies but by hell it is great at the moment!!!!!!

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:00:08 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
>Oh and in case you hadn't spotted it, the thong reference is now an inside RBR joke :)

Inside rbr and rsa joke.

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Julio Steen wrote:
>
> > Hey! Let's stay on topic, huh? The FACTS ARE: McWhiner is a jerk
>
> No, that's an OPINION.

I know. I was kidding, exaggerating, trolling, etc, etc. Robbie is a character and we're lucky to
have him. He *is* a whiny sort, but that's half the reason he adds so much to the sport. (The other
half... let's see... oh, yeah: he's a darn effective sprinter.)

I also knew about the thong-man being the latest inside joke. The whole thong-man topic, in fact,
was pointed out as "off topic" by someone who I unjustly castigated in the original thread. So in a
way I was making fun of my own dumb self.

Now let's get back to hating McWhiner (and pulling for him to pick up a couple stages), okay? :)