Memory-Map: Using Aerial Photos to create 3D pics.

Jweaver

Guest
I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
impressed.

I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
which implies that I might not get what I expect.

With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.

I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more importantly,
too expensive for the kind of use that I am planning.

So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?

Jon

PS. The post in question is: (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-
8&frame=right&th=39ae64255b199f1c&seekm=401d4513%240%24-
8567%244c56ba96%40master.news.zetnet.net#link1)

In article
<[email protected]>,
jweaver100 @hotmail.com says...
> I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
> impressed.
>
> I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
> mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
> which implies that I might not get what I expect.
>
> With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
> maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.
>
> I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
> would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
> that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
> 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
> as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more
> importantly, too expensive for the kind of use that I am
> planning.
>
> So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
> any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
>
> Jon
>
> PS. The post in question is: (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
> 8&oe=UTF-
> 8&frame=right&th=39ae64255b199f1c&seekm=401d4513%240%-
> 248567%244c56ba96%40master.news.zetnet.net#link1)

Yes - you can use the aerial maps and the 1:50000 together
as I do and generate 3d views using the aerial map.

In article
<[email protected]>, jweaver
<[email protected]> writes
>I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
>impressed.
>
>I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
>mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
>which implies that I might not get what I expect.
>
>With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
>maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.
>
>I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
>would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
>that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
>1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
>as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more
>importantly, too expensive for the kind of use that I am
>planning.
>
>So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
>any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
>
>Jon

(Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).

The pictures never got taken :-(

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

"Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>, jweaver
> <[email protected]> writes
> >I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
> >impressed.
> >
> >I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
> >mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
> >which implies that I might not get what I expect.
> >
> >With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and
> >1:25K maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of
> >these maps.
> >
> >I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
> >would be able to do the same.. But the post I read
> >implies that 3D will only work when used with the
> >complimentary 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its
> >pretty useless, as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small,
> >and more importantly, too expensive for the kind of use
> >that I am planning.
> >
> >So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to
> >be any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
> >
> >Jon
> >

> (Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
> Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).
>
> The pictures never got taken :-(

But the Scottish photo shoot is now underway and should be
complete by the end of the year. . . .

druidh

In article <Wko5c.17532$WO1.374913174@news-
text.cableinet.net>, druidh
<[email protected]> writes

>"Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> (Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
>> Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).
>>
>> The pictures never got taken :-(
>
>But the Scottish photo shoot is now underway and should be
>complete by the end of the year. . . .

A year doesn't seem very long.

I already have lots of pictures of cloud...

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

> > I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
> > mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a
> > post which implies that I might not get what I expect.
> >
> > With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and
> > 1:25K maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of
> > these maps.
> >
> > I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps,
> > I would be able to do the same.. But the post I read
> > implies that 3D will only work when used with the
> > complimentary 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its
> > pretty useless, as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small,
> > and more importantly, too expensive for the kind of use
> > that I am planning.
>

> Yes - you can use the aerial maps and the 1:50000 together
> as I do and generate 3d views using the aerial map.

Many thanks for the info.. I have just had a reply from Memory-
Maps confirming the same thing.. However, they have also
added that "They are enhancing our 3D View with a free
downloadable upgrade for our existing customer at the end of
the month"

This is very interesting, as I am specifically interested in
the 3D side to this and ANY enhancement to the rather
limited functionality right now would be appreicated.

I wonder if they are going to impliment something similar to
the 'virtual environment' that you get on Anquet Maps?

> This is very interesting, as I am specifically interested
> in the 3D side to this and ANY enhancement to the rather
> limited functionality right now would be appreicated.
>
> I wonder if they are going to impliment something similar
> to the 'virtual environment' that you get on Anquet Maps?

Incase anyone is intersted, I got a reply from "Memory-Maps"
about their forthcoming 'upgrade'.. Looks like they are
trying to compete with Anquets "Virtual Landscape" and if it
supports the Aerial Maps, it going to be amazing!!

"Our enhancements will give you the same as the Anquet
Virtual Landscape but you will find that the 3D View will be
less jerky, quicker and clearer with an array of extended
options. I cannot say anymore at the present time. You will
be able to download this for a 10 day trial at the end of
the month"

I will have to wait for the Scottish aerial photos, but just
had a shot of the 2004 MM, it's not bad, especially with use
of a hex editor (learned about in this forum) on last years
model....It works! I'd like to see the Anquet 3D view as the
MM has limited options, you can't "fly" through the
landscape for example.

KRO